Football Programmes Centre

Argentina v England World Cup 1986
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Argentina v England World Cup 1986

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Ticket Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydemaine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:42 pm 
Post subject: Argentina v England World Cup 1986

Ticket collecting isn't really my thing.

I've got an unused ticket for the infamous Maradona 'hand of God' quarter final.

It's what I would describe as being in very good condition.

Has been part of a larger collection because it came with it's own plastic display sleeve

I wondered if anyone can shed light on whether it's still collectable and a rough guide to it's value?

Like I said tickets are not really for me so if anyone wants it for their collection I would be willing to sell.

Floor Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:32 pm 
Post subject:

Unfortunately it is a reproduction which is from the masterfile
Floor Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:35 pm 
Post subject:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222177697042?redirect=mobile
colchestersid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:04 pm 
Post subject:

...and if you have a ticket from the semi final as well with same block, row and seat numbers, Argentina v Belgium, that is from the Masterfile as well
hydemaine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:29 pm 
Post subject:

Ok cheers for the advice
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:41 pm 
Post subject:

Floor Pie wrote:
Unfortunately it is a reproduction which is from the masterfile

Fantastic collection of original WC tickets! well laid out Clap

Another great flickr site

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:33 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:16 am 
Post subject:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233972507804

Another one sold recently, hopefully for rather less than the $3000 asking price

It was "authenticated" by PSA - whatever that means
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:25 am 
Post subject:

PSA doesn't mean a great deal to us in the UK but in the states its the byword I authenticity.
They're an American company that grades and authenticates items of sports memorabilia.
They're most famous for grading trade cards and Marvel/DC comic books which is how they started out so therefore if they grade a card at say 8-9 (out if 10) because of their authentication the premium for the card increases far far greater.
You send the item to them and pay a fee for the service they then send it back enclosed in a clear holder with a sticker, hologram and certificate.
It costs a fair chunk of change for this service so you tend to send them the quality items.
On a trade card they check for stuff like if its original, the corners are sharp, the image is central and clean etc.
It also takes away the 'grey area' of if someone thinks an item is very good or just fair...
I've seen them authenticate Superbowl tickets so presumably they go to FIFA for World Cup tickets...?
colchestersid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:37 am 
Post subject:

The seller has confirmed he sold in good faith and cancelled/refunded once he was made aware of the issue. I looked at the PSA website - you are right, it is overwhelmingly American cards. As an aside though it's interesting how many cards/tickets/programmes are being offered (and sometimes even sold?) on eBay at massively inflated values based on being "rookie" items or spurious historical connections
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:32 am 
Post subject:

The Rookie stickers is something of a recent phenomenon in this country but has been a mainstay of sports memorabilia in the States.
I find it highly amusing that a player that's been around for several years can have a rookie sticker based solely to a manufacturer of stickers.
I've seen how some sellers on eBay use them term Rookie very loosely.
Rookie to me is a players first appearance on card or sticker but some go further, for example for Ronaldo they will claim a Rookie for him for Portugal, Real and Juventus alongside his PL one with Man Utd.
It's made completing sticker albums more frustrating and much more expensive than a couple of years back!

Back to subject of the ticket a mate of mine sold an original v Argentina for a few hundred quid last year which he was surprised but very pleased with.
I seem to recall that reproductions were given away with a football magazine a few decades ago...???
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:17 pm 
Post subject:

Super Hoopy wrote:
PSA doesn't mean a great deal to us in the UK but in the states its the byword I authenticity.
They're an American company that grades and authenticates items of sports memorabilia.
They're most famous for grading trade cards and Marvel/DC comic books which is how they started out so therefore if they grade a card at say 8-9 (out if 10) because of their authentication the premium for the card increases far far greater.
You send the item to them and pay a fee for the service they then send it back enclosed in a clear holder with a sticker, hologram and certificate.
It costs a fair chunk of change for this service so you tend to send them the quality items.
On a trade card they check for stuff like if its original, the corners are sharp, the image is central and clean etc.
It also takes away the 'grey area' of if someone thinks an item is very good or just fair...
I've seen them authenticate Superbowl tickets so presumably they go to FIFA for World Cup tickets...?

That’s a pretty good summary.

There are several bigger authenticators in the U.S of which PSA is the most recognized. A big focus for collectibles over here are the trading cards, especially baseball, but they will also authenticate autographs and items from other sports. They also do appraisals.

You’ll very seldom see anything of value for sale that hasn’t been authenticated. It’s just about a requirement with sports collectibles over here.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:01 pm 
Post subject:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195988551087?hash=item2da1d3f5af:g:jYMAAOSwYbZk~ETM

And another one - asking £100

His listing includes this explanation...

This is NOT the actual ticket that would have gained you access to the stadium, but rather a souvenir reproduction. It was produced by a company called Masterfile in around October 1986 (presumably under license from FIFA, or I imagine they would have faced legal action) and issued as part of a souvenir booklet. The difference, I am told, is that the souvenirs have red ink for the seat numbers etc, but the actual tickets were printed in a different colour.
FeyenoordMackem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:46 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195988551087?hash=item2da1d3f5af:g:jYMAAOSwYbZk~ETM

And another one - asking £100

His listing includes this explanation...

This is NOT the actual ticket that would have gained you access to the stadium, but rather a souvenir reproduction. It was produced by a company called Masterfile in around October 1986 (presumably under license from FIFA, or I imagine they would have faced legal action) and issued as part of a souvenir booklet. The difference, I am told, is that the souvenirs have red ink for the seat numbers etc, but the actual tickets were printed in a different colour.

Why would anyone pay £100 for that Laughing
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:55 pm 
Post subject:

I suspect the seller is hoping someone will hurriedly buy it without reading the small print, and to be fair they have been clear about it.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Ticket Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: