Football Programmes Centre

Physical Digital Third Party Pirate Issues
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Physical Digital Third Party Pirate Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:18 am 
Post subject: Physical Digital Third Party Pirate Issues

So where do you stand on digital issues printed? Do you count them as one of your collection? This season has given me these varied programmes...

1. Physical Issue
2. Digital Issue - to download (even print yourself)
3. Digital Issue - printed by a third party
4. Digital Issue - printed after a match but officially by the club
5. Pirate (or illegal?) Issue - third party printed claiming no physical even though there was
6. No Issue

Recently had a 4. No physical for Stockport v Torquay, only digital but the club officially printed from digital AFTER the game. I have listed this as a digital as there was no hard copy at the time of the game. Your thoughts?
cardiff55

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:37 am 
Post subject:

I think it's been a bit of a minefield over the last year or so. For m,y club, Cardiff City, they printed a programme for all home games. But for away programmes some clubs in the division digital version, which was then printed by an outside firm. So whether they are official or not is unclear. One in particular is really good quality printing buy lacks any real content, so I reckon it's a well done unofficial issue.

Some clubs did not issue, and one, Wycombe, just did a team sheet after the game (although i think they issued some programmes early in the season?).

I have all that were available though.

A lot of 'pirate' issues have been seen on Ebay, advertised as such too. Whilst some collectors buy these they are not for me. Just someone at home pumping out 4 pagers on a PC for every club and cashing in.

Tony
drfc4ever

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:05 pm 
Post subject:

Agreed, interesting season indeed.

Doncaster did printed programmes for all league games and digital only for the Papa John’s Trophy, the club supplied me with the PDF for the Papa John’s game which I got printed and sold with the club advertising it too for me.

Away games were more challenging:
Northampton provided me with the PDF and I got a small number printed
Burton wouldn’t give the PDF, but would print it off on A4 at a small cost. M60 also printed some
Accrington allow the PDF download on their website and again I got a small number printed
Swindon, Gillingham, Oldham (PJT), Rochdale, Peterborough, Shrewsbury only did team sheets with some of those proving difficult to get.

I ended the season with at least a team sheet from every game, but it took some effort !!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doncasterroversprogrammes/sets
cardiff55

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:09 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, I had a Northampton v Cardiff League Cup which was printed from a PDF by someone on Ebay. Not official from the clubthough I understand, but with permission.

I managed to get a few team sheets , but a lot seem to be of dubious quality compared to a normal year.

I know of one club where someone was printing programmes from a club Pdf without permission and were warned off!

Tony
drfc4ever

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:38 pm 
Post subject:

cardiff55 wrote:
Yes, I had a Northampton v Cardiff League Cup which was printed from a PDF by someone on Ebay. Not official from the clubthough I understand, but with permission.

I managed to get a few team sheets , but a lot seem to be of dubious quality compared to a normal year.

I know of one club where someone was printing programmes from a club Pdf without permission and were warned off!

Tony

Most teamsheets were reasonable and all were received direct from each club, however the Swindon one was awful, no date on it or even officials, clearly fell into the category of can’t be arsed.

Let’s hope next season is a bit easier!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doncasterroversprogrammes/sets
ndg1860

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:21 pm 
Post subject:

Like Tony, my club QPR also printed each programme, almost. They did some strange things during the season. The two home games in December with fans had two programmes, one sold through Ignition and the season subscription and one sold at the ground, the latter being with a different colour for the cover. Also, the club chose to have a digital only for the postponed game v Wycombe but M60 eventually were allowed to print that.

A few clubs chose not to have programmes at all, being Huddersfield, Reading, Wednesday and Wycombe. A version of the Huddersfield appeared on eBay, but at a cost. It was more than likely a pirate version. Derby also did not have a programme but instead of monthly magazine, which I have stated before was actually a good read for its value. Finally, Bristol City used their supporters to provide the programme. We had postponed games at both Luton and Rotherham but neither printed a separate programme.

It was quite a job tracking each down and buying separately from the various clubs and I was able to order for two thus cutting some of the cost down through combined postage. With that Huddersfield item and the one League Cup away at Plymouth, it came to 48 programmes for the season in total.

Lots to read and now for the next lot. I just hope it will not be so hard again.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:40 pm 
Post subject:

ndg1860 wrote:
Like Tony, my club QPR also printed each programme, almost. They did some strange things during the season. The two home games in December with fans had two programmes, one sold through Ignition and the season subscription and one sold at the ground, the latter being with a different colour for the cover. Also, the club chose to have a digital only for the postponed game v Wycombe but M60 eventually were allowed to print that.

A few clubs chose not to have programmes at all, being Huddersfield, Reading, Wednesday and Wycombe. A version of the Huddersfield appeared on eBay, but at a cost. It was more than likely a pirate version. Derby also did not have a programme but instead of monthly magazine, which I have stated before was actually a good read for its value. Finally, Bristol City used their supporters to provide the programme. We had postponed games at both Luton and Rotherham but neither printed a separate programme.

It was quite a job tracking each down and buying separately from the various clubs and I was able to order for two thus cutting some of the cost down through combined postage. With that Huddersfield item and the one League Cup away at Plymouth, it came to 48 programmes for the season in total.

Lots to read and now for the next lot. I just hope it will not be so hard again.

Pretty much the same experience as me in the Championship. The one I thought was very poor, not printing quality but in content, was the Bristol City. I got the team sheet from Wycombe, but avoided the Huddersfield one as I understood there was no official one, and as you say was at a stupid price too.

All filed away now. The best thing really is that all there were thinner than normal and therefore easier to store, with the advertising missing out and more content. I also have a full season of Newport homes, which are good and very thin too. They issued 36 Homes in the season due to cup exploits etc.
bee007

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:12 pm 
Post subject:

I managed to get every programme or team sheet for all Barnet games except one, Dover away. No programmes were done for the few games Dover actually played, but if anyone has a team sheet or PDF, please contact me.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:30 pm 
Post subject:

Managed to achieve everything home and away for Crystal Palace (I think?!!)

The League Cup game at Bournemouth was teamsheet only - got a photocopy of that)

The Premier League game at Southampton was one of the handful where Southampton couldn't be arsed, but got the official teamsheet and a fan-made pirate effort.

There was the odd professionally printed from digital job.

I'm more disappointed that I went to the two England friendlies at Middlesbrough recently and there was nothing at either. Would have been ideal to do a double issue.

I do wonder if some clubs, particularly National League and below, will now not revert to selling a printed programme (having got out of the habit). That would be a real shame.
PeterE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:21 pm 
Post subject:

If there are any Scottish Premiership collectors, I've done an online guide to Aberdeen programmes for the 20/21 season. In here there's info on opposition clubs' programme availability -
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/65654617/aberdeen-fc-2020-21-programme-guide
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:13 am 
Post subject:

I'm in the same boat as ndg1860 as being a QPR supporter/collector threw up the same challenges that he experienced.
We all knew it was going to be a strange and tough time in the hobby but credit to those clubs who produced physical and digital copies of their programme.
Digital issues then printed by a third party I would count as an official edition as the content and layout were produced by the club and then printed out in some cases by M60, in QPR's case it would be Ignition so why should that be any different...?
I think if you're a programme collector you should count yourself luckier than perhaps our brothers and sisters who like myself collect match badges, tickets, teamsheets, match day shirts and menus as they would have had a far tougher time of it.
Oh and don't get me started on getting current player autographs! Sad
garyspain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:24 am 
Post subject:

Agree it is a minefield.

I collect printed copies of digital programmes. Now I've also ended up wanting different versions as well.

I got permission on behalf of Treaty United (new club in Limerick) for us to print Bray Wanderer's programme for our first league game. As a courtesy I gave some copies back to the club. A friend in Dublin supplied me with a different printed copy. Both A5 but one is perfectly bound.

Treaty are doing a digital programme but selling a printed subscription with the season's programmes being printed when fans are allowed.

Some clubs make it difficult to print eg Glasgow City women's programme for their UEFA champions League tie v Peamount United (Dublin). That was printed in Belarus and sold on ebay.

I have zero interest in the pirate programmes produced by bedroom bandits and sold on ebay. I do buy pirates available at games.

Some games do have a printed programme but none are available at the game. Shamrock Rovers sell 100% by post.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: