Football Programmes Centre

How you keep your stuff
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How you keep your stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:37 pm 
Post subject:

Impressive views of storage highlights how much you treasure the stuff that you have collected over the years, as for what's inside your binders I mount most of my progs and stuff on stiff black card.
It works for the thin progs of yesteryear but not so for the heavy magazines of today, as for why I do it, I liked how they displayed if I was looking at covers rather than reading a programme.

Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:29 pm 
Post subject:

Considering this is the football programme forum, I must admit that football programmes are just a small part of what I collect. I do religiously get a programme for every game I go to, but for me I most enjoy collecting badges, cards/stickers and allmanner of random 'merchandise' / memorabilia. My wife thinks most of it is tat but she puts up with it very well to be honest!

I must admit I am very impressed with the smart, organised shelves of binders, and I aspire to that 'look' one day.

The closest I have to that is that I keep my Palace badge collection in WH Smith coin folders, and I already have way more folders than I have shelf space for.

They are all the blue ones, which is not an easy feat to have so many, because when WH Smiths get a box of them, there are 10 in each box, 4 black, 4 red and only 2 blue. So anytime I see a blue one for sale, I snap it up, so that I always have spares!

The folders do a neat job if you have the patience to cut out squares of card.

At a rough count I have over 3000 such badges I believe, but I'm always happy to obtain new ones. Match badges (mostly unofficial) have made my collecting so much more enjoyable over the last 15 or so years because there is nearly always something new to be on the lookout for!

The other big part of my collecting is general merchandise and memorabilia, I love a commemorative mug, rosette, pennant or other naff looking item. The more garish and 'of it's time' the better!

In particular I like Soccerstarz mini figures, and having got all of those for my club, I also like buying old Corinthian figures from the 1990s of players who were once at Palace, and repainting them in Palace kits!

Again, organisation and space aren't my best assets, but the thing is, whenever I think 'That will look smart framed up', something other item comes up that I just have to buy, so I never get round to it!

But I love the eclectic nature of never knowing what is around the corner, and what my next addition will be! Tomorrow I could see a medal, badge, mug, piggy bank or postcard and it becomes my next thing to want!

And I could never be one of those people who hides things away, I like to see and be surrounded by all my 'stuff'
GaryF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:14 pm 
Post subject: Collection Storage Update

Hi all,
Seand sent me link to this thread after I posted pic of my collection bookcases on different post. And I must admit there are some very impressive pics of collectors storing their collections here.

My paltry two bookcases (see my latest updated pic below) really are small fry when it comes to collecting. Some of you have whole rooms!

I like having my progs on bookshelves, because its easy to access them. Though it probably not the best way to keep them in good condition? Standing upright means that edges of progs can get ruffled or creased.

From the pics on this thread, the 'binders' or 'boxes' on bookshelves look good, but I've had trouble finding Millwall binders for progs at reasonable prices; or even finding enough of them! Also, I only seen couple 'official' Millwall prog binders for the odd season. There doesn't seem to be a regular official supply of them (unless someone can steer me straight)? So unless I can get enough of them for whole collection, bookcases it is!

To try protect the progs on shelves, I did start putting the earlier year progs in plastic pockets. Pre 90s I can fit whole season of homes (or aways) in one plastic pocket, and still store upright, but more later progs are too big.

And as you can see from my pic below, space is running out on my shelves; so I gonna have to get another bookcase soon???

Thanks
Gary

[/list]

UPDATE
This new picture shows how big my Collection has grown in two years. I now have 3 x Bookcases: Homes on left (except bottom shelf), and Aways are on right bookcase. Though I recently got some Millwall Binders, but haven't fully decided which seasons to put in 10 x binders yet.

Last edited by GaryF on Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:10 pm 
Post subject:

Looks good Gary

Can I ask (if you know) how many programmes there are in the book case?

Looks like you have managed to get a fair few in there

Cheers

Jim
seand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for sharing the pics and for the PM Gary. A lot of people use Ikea bookshelves.... they are super cheap and robust, they come in different sizes and you can buy extra shelves. Ikea boxes or any other suitably sized boxes look neat and keep your programmes flat (horizontal). Probably not an issue really for modern programmes, but when you go back a few decades you probably don't want them standing up. Smile
seand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:19 pm 
Post subject:

Raxfactor wrote:
Impressive views of storage highlights how much you treasure the stuff that you have collected over the years, as for what's inside your binders I mount most of my progs and stuff on stiff black card.
It works for the thin progs of yesteryear but not so for the heavy magazines of today, as for why I do it, I liked how they displayed if I was looking at covers rather than reading a programme.

While this topic has popped back to the surface I'd love to know how you store the programmes and tickets so neatly in these albums, Raxfactor? Is there a dab of blu-tac or photo corners or something else holding them in place?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:33 pm 
Post subject:

seand wrote:
Raxfactor wrote:

While this topic has popped back to the surface I'd love to know how you store the programmes and tickets so neatly in these albums, Raxfactor? Is there a dab of blu-tac or photo corners or something else holding them in place?

I cannot say what Raxfactor does but i can certainly show you how nothing will EVER move and you can remove the items easily.
The product is called V Mount from Secol. There are 25 strips in the pack around 9" in length and you can cut them up. there is an adhesive backing which sticks to the paper and not the programme or ticket. I have been using them for 25 years. Costs around £11 or so per pack. Acid Free Archival Quality. Secol 01842-752341

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

Mine is all stored on two sets of shelves in the back room. Pics were taken a couple of years ago and last season's had to go on a 3rd lot of shelves. They should last me the rest of my life unless programmes get even bigger.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
seand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:28 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Leslie, I'll check out the Secol option Thumbs Up
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:31 pm 
Post subject:

Hopefully you can see my photo below!

I have finally built some (Ikea 'Besta') bookcases for my collection!

Been meaning to do it for a few years since my son became too tall for the loft room, so we moved his bedroom to another room

Had to 'shorten' them to fit them in under the sloping ceiling!

Top shelf is maroon binders of cigarette and trade cards, and stickers (Palace)

2nd shelf is photo albums and photobooks that I have made myself of all my football travels

3rd shelf (blue binders) are all my badge folders (Palace badges) using the WH Smith collecting system binders and pocket pages

Bottom shelf is going to be for all my scrapbooks

This isn't everything, I have way more photo albums and scrapbooks around the house in the back of cupboards etc, I just have to find them all and get them in some sort of order !

Being a bit of a collector I have loads of scarves, replica shirts, rosettes, tickets, Corinthian figures and so on, and of course programmes!!

But this is at least a good start!

My programmes are in the fab 'Really Useful' 19L (XL) boxes which manchesterunitedman (Leslie) recommended to me many years ago on here. They are as fantastic as he said they would be.

As a collector you can't help getting more and more stuff, but organising it so you can enjoy it is very satisfing too!

I hope littlewiggy can see this and the picture too, I know he's always been interested in badge storage ideas!

Blackjack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:19 pm 
Post subject:

I moved up to Aberdeenshire from Pembrokeshire 4 years ago to be with the woman of my dreams, however it meant moving away from my beloved Swansea City .... however my partner was happy to get a 3 bed bungalow so i could have a room for my Swansea City programmes and memorabilia .... i have over 4500 programmes, 200 badges, 100 keyrings as well as as much Swans bits i can get hold of like toys, penants, jewellery etc ... i also have over 500 Wales programmes.
I've added a few pics ( i hope just to show you all)
Blackjack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:21 pm 
Post subject:

Blackjack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:30 pm 
Post subject:

seandel1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:02 pm 
Post subject:

Lovely work lads Thumbs Up
BBlockExile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:12 pm 
Post subject:

My whole attic is full of programmes and memorabilia.
To the right in Red Storage boxes and Red lever arch files is virtually a complete set of Bristol City Programmes since ww2 (just missing 7 issues between 1945 and 1946!) Plus lots of Bristol City memorabilia including my BCFC82 share certificate.

To the left is a big match programme collection in Green storage boxes and Green lever arch files. All Categories I am down to the really hard ones to complete.

Not bad for 55 years collecting.. encouraged by my Dad as I sat in the corner of the Bristol City Programme shop long ago when programmes were King !!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:48 pm 
Post subject: Manchester United Collection

This covers 3 floors and a Museum-all illustrated below, just click the link.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjevJPsS

Of course you cannot see the content of the hundreds of binders that contain ephemera from 1878 onwards and Programmes from 1888 up til the last match at the Cup Final 2 weeks ago or so.

Most images are available here www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets Thumbs Up

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: