Football Programmes Centre

Giving up
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Giving up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Forest

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:06 am 
Post subject: Giving up

This is in no way a criticism of anyone.

Just seen that a Blackburn Rovers collector has come to the end of the line. I know others have sold up recently some had no choice. I just want to know why and what it takes to sell up. I don't know how you can do it.

To me it does not mater how many times my team loses, I just have to get on with it. I don't come home and say 'that that's'.

I have spent more than seventy years collecting programmes involving Leyton FC. Not the highest profile club in the world, but its my dad's fault. Unless I can persuade my grandsons to take them on they, then one day they might come up for sale.

Football is like horses, you can't change in mid-steam.
AndyBRFC

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:18 am 
Post subject: Re: Giving up

There are many reasons why somebody gives up a labour of love that has taken 20+ years to build, however I can guarantee that is has nothing to do with a disappointing season... we've had more than our fair share of them over the past decade Very Happy

New Forest wrote:
I don't know how you can do it.

To me it does not mater how many times my team loses, I just have to get on with it. I don't come home and say 'that that's'.

flashhat

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:14 pm 
Post subject:

Maybe a new partner who is less understanding of our illness sometimes comes into the equation?

My football memorabilia: https://www.flickr.com/photos/192140619@N08/albums

Non-league photographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/143473465@N03/albums

https://www.sportsshots.org.uk/
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:45 pm 
Post subject: Re: Giving up

New Forest wrote:
This is in no way a criticism of anyone.

Just seen that a Blackburn Rovers collector has come to the end of the line. I know others have sold up recently some had no choice. I just want to know why and what it takes to sell up. I don't know how you can do it.

I have spent more than seventy years collecting programmes involving Leyton FC. Not the highest profile club in the world, but its my dad's fault. Unless I can persuade my grandsons to take them on they, then one day they might come up for sale.

Football is like horses, you can't change in mid-steam.

I have recently made the decision to stop collecting and to start to dispose of my collection of Villa stuff that I've collected for over 50 years.

What I struggle to see is the connection between collecting and supporting a club. I know Villa supporters who have barely missed a game in decades and don't have an item of memorabilia. My support of Villa will never waver. My desire to add to my collection is now at an end. No link whatsoever.
henrytheheart

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:16 pm 
Post subject:

I have been collecting for more than 50 years, although a lot of items have been gathered and have nothing to do with and don't form part of my main collection. For example, I've got more than 1,000 programmes that I just seem to have come across over the years, hundreds of books and piles of what I would call 'this and that' including the likes of esso coins, sticker albums, pennants, newspapers, magazines....you name it. I'm sure most of us on here are exactly the same.

The sad think is that I know that there will come a time most likely in the not too distant future when I will have to get rid of it because I will not live where I do forever. My wife says the house takes too much time to keep clean and the garden will become too large for me to maintain, much that I love doing it. At the end of the day, it is all about life balances and when it comes to the inevitable downsizing something will have to give; it will certainly mean goodbye to many of my books and most likely a massive chunk of my programme collection.

Will it be painful? Of course it will and I try not to think about it too much.
Alytheeagle

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:54 pm 
Post subject:

One of the problems I see having rubbed my crystal ball, is that the longer one leaves it before selling up, the less the programmes will be worth. It's a bit like stamps. I have a friend who is/was a keen stamp dealer, he says the market is drying up with no new blood amongst the collectors. A penny black will be almost worthless 20/30 years down the line as youngsters just don't seem to want to collect. The same will happen to programme collecting where again there are few newcomers to the hobby.
It will be my daughters problem one day as I have no intention of selling up.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:27 pm 
Post subject:

I have no intention of getting rid any time soon, but my son despite being a home and away football nut has no interest in almost everything I have collected.

With my cigarette and trade cards, I am very careful to put labels in my binders next to everything so that at least someone can make sense of it when I am gone (which hopefully will be a very long time!)
slightfold

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:03 pm 
Post subject:

Well if that time comes when you do decide to sell up, then sell it off slowly is probably best if you can, so as not to flood the market, and you should get your best price. At least you know what you paid or have some idea of the current value and the minimum you will accept. Otherwise it's off to the auction and be done with it.
For those of us who will be keeping on going to the end, it might be a good idea to put notes and values in amongst your items so as hopefully they don't get given away after the final whistle!
cardiff55

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:51 pm 
Post subject:

I have sold up twice in the past.

I had a superb collection of Cardiff City (& Wales items) which i sold in 1994, most of which went to Sports Programmes for a sizeable fee. Roy Calmels came down to South Wales and loaded my stuff in the his Volvo, helped by his Dad. As he drove off I immediately regretted it. Weeks later I was offered some programme from a house clearance which contained the only 5 Cardiff programmes I needed back to the War!!

I tried again but gave up.

However, I was fortunate to pick up 3 Cardiff collections (at a cost) last year,. and another Cardiff collector sold up because he was emigrating , so i have been lucky. And just heard that another very good one is up for sale but too expensive.

I may sell up one day, I'm 65 now.

But I agree with slight fold , above, who said not to flood the market, as too many good issues on Ebay in one go, or in lots at an auction, will mean lower prices. And don't sell all the good stuff and be left with all the modern ones which will end up being sold for next to nothing. Good luck anyway.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:46 pm 
Post subject:

Storage space!
That's my major issue now. Never used to be way back in time but then along came the 96 page "programmes" and one season needs a whole cardboard box to itself. Accordingly, the spare bedroom is basically a store room now.
Sounds awful, but I'm almost glad Derby stopped producing a programme as the decision was, in effect, taken away from me.

Would be difficult to give up, though. I've been collecting since I was 10 yrs old and I turn 60 in a couple of months so it's been a part of my life for half a century.

I have put some procedures in place as regards my collection(s) should my demise occur before I've had my proverbial three score and ten - but I do feel a bit guilty at imposing its disposal upon someone who has no knowledge or interest whatsoever in our hobby.
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:43 am 
Post subject:

Space or lack of it is I think one of the reasons that there is no new blood coming in to the hobby.
Living in a one bed flat would mean that storage space isn't there and housing costs are bad enough so you'd have very little disposable income.
In the past few years I've started to get rid of stuff I never started collecting but was instead lots that I was given and found myself adding to, Wembley programmes for instance.
My missus has often claimed that when I pass she will dump the lot.
The last time my kids, who were both about 11, turned round and said 'don't do that'.
I felt a little bit of swelling of pride in my chest till they then said 'we can sell.it on ebay! Laughing
Although I must admit that at least my stuff wouldn't end up in landfill and they would get something financial at the end if it.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:58 am 
Post subject:

Lack of space is one good reason not to buy the large modern issues. I have not bought modern issues for several years. Some people seem to give up collecting every year or so then start again. I can’t see me ever stopping collecting. It has been part of my life for the past 47 years. As for what happens to my collection when I pass, doesn’t really matter as I won’t be around. I have a nephew and good friends in the collecting world who I am sure will make sure they don’t get thrown away.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:59 am 
Post subject:

Yes I agree that space in an issue. After buying those three collections I was left with approximately 5000 spare Cardiff City programmes which were in something like 40+ boxes in a spare room. So I sold them as a job lot just to free up the space ( I was under orders to do it).

I have moved by collection to the small bedroom upstairs and bought new shelves etc, half of which are for the programmes and half for the books (I collect statistical histories and who's who, like Breedon books). The room is now full.
grantham

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:10 pm 
Post subject:

cardiff55 wrote:
(I collect statistical histories and who's who, like Breedon books). The room is now full.

Sent you a PM RE: books
stfc831968

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:02 pm 
Post subject:

I'm like derby 1884 in that i haven't been too dissapointed in Swindon not producing home programmes this season; they do take up far too much space and most of the time are not worth the read. I will still collect them if they start again next season though.

My family are under instructions if anything happens to me, to sell the older programmes on e-bay; the newer ones they can offer to the Swindon Town Supporters club to see if they want them and if not then they'll have to go in the recycling.

I've never brought them as an investment, just something i enjoy collecting.
Brem75

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:43 pm 
Post subject:

My collection of Stockport County stops in 2013. They were getting bulky and i still get a programme if i go to a game but im not that fussed about having a full season. My collection was H and A but i now just concentrate on homes from the 60s and 70s (not many to go) which can be picked up quite easily. When these are complete i dont know what ill do!!

Im a relative young collector (46) i think but kids are brought up on technology now so they dont see the appeal.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:40 pm 
Post subject:

I've flipped directions in the last few years

Long story short, I've recently repurchased all the post 1983 West Ham homes I'd previously binned

It only took about a month via John Dee, Chelmer Programmes, Brentside and eBay. Nothing of any great value, difficult to store but feeling happier now the collection is complete again!

All this is unrelated to anything to do with how West Ham are doing - I've only seen them once since the new ground and doubt I'll ever go again
GaryF

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:55 am 
Post subject: Giving Up -

Hi all
It was interesting reading everyone's' comments about giving up their collections.

For some its a horrifying prospect that they'd never contemplate, and for them the plan is to keep going as long as they can (even into poverty, judging by the prices of some of these very old programmes! Or, they have the idea to "will' their collections on to relatives or organizations after they've slipped this mortal coil. Hoping their collection will be carried on and be useful to others.

Other collectors feel there comes a time when its just got to go; either for space, storage (or the new missus worrying you might love your collection more than her!) Or its time to sell for financial reasons - and the advice on that is... 'bit by bit' and don't flood the market! -

For some its health reasons to sell, and for some its a lack of interest; but overall there seems to be lots of good reasons why people stop. Maybe with the realization that its unlikely any of their relatives will be interested, and certainly wouldn't know how to dispose of a collection correctly; wouldn't sell those rarer ones for appropriate prices, or even worse, not know what they've got, and throw the lot into a recycling bin! No wonder some decide they should sell it off while they can, as they know definiyely what they're doing.

I've only been collecting a couple of years; drawn into it by a spell in hospital which left me missing two home games, and while searching online for the progs I missed, I came across listings of colourful 1970s & early 1980s Millwall home football programmes being sold for 10 for £2. It was a no brainer, and I was hooked. I was lucky too, as my first contact was with a decent seller who sold me several hundreds of Millwall for 10p a copy. So its been a real annoyance since to discover what high prices some charge for their programmes; for a collector it shouldn't be about the money, its about the collections.

I also lucky in that since starting I've made some great contacts with a few other Millwall & other teams collectors, and many of them are only too happy to give each other our spare progs for free, or at cost, or for a minimal payment. Cos for most it about the collecting, not the selling.

Which brings me back to the main point, which is: That at some point every collector has to ask themselves the question: Should I stop? And the answer really depends on that person's circumstances.

I admit, at first, I was in the 'never sell' category, but many of those reasons to stop have gone through my mind since then. Yes, I got a grandson who comes Den with me, but no, he not into football programmes (he is in the digital world) and he doesn't know what"s valuable & what's not? At the end of the day, apart from the programmes we collected from the games we actually attended, he not interested in any other progs; the other few thousand progs! So in reality, would I be burdening my collection onto my grandson? If I wanted him to earn the money from them (which I do) then I'd have to sell them for him to get the best value.

So even though I no intention of stoping, I admit I have thought I might have to stop & sell at some point. Either cos I'm really skint in my old age and need the money, or two; I have no one to pass them onto.

But as Millwall fan, I never give up, and while my 13 yr old grandson not interested, I 've got two grandaughters aged 18 & 9 months, so I got plenty of time to try turn them into female Millwall football supporters who like collecting old programmes. Wish me luck! I think it gonna be a tough ask!

Thanks for reading
Gary

Easy
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:17 am 
Post subject:

Pretty much says it all in Gary's post I buy to keep not sell on once I've achieved my collection it'll be put away to be viewed on and off over time as for what to do with it ? my boy is palace mad he appreciates what they are and what they are worth but has no real interest in continuing with them I'd like to think they stayed in the family for gens to come but I suppose worst case scenario they went to a good home where they are appreciated and looked after as for now they are great to own good to see people roll their eyes when they hear you spent £5000 on a programme with people spending as much over the year on substances that keep you up all night ! oh well I'll never sell so it'll be a nice problem for someone else
Sufc93

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:25 am 
Post subject:

Hello everyone Wave

I am 27 years old (so the younger generation of collector) I support sheffield United but I don’t necessarily collect there memorabilia. I first started with programmes but I’ve got 1 extra large box full of them and there just sat doing nothing (various clubs). I just get programmes now of any sentimental value at that time. (Debuts, Special event at that time) etc...
I’ve had to stop with the programmes because I know it will get out of hand with the space so I’ve resorted to collecting pin badges. There smaller and obviously take less space up.
As for the younger generation as regards of collecting everybody I know who loves football don’t have the connection as I do to collecting memorabilia. They don’t see the attraction with everything to do with programmes/badges/cards.
I wouldn’t say I have a lot of knowledge in the field of collecting but I still like the buzz of completing collections of badges but I think it’s just society is just changing for the worst in regards of collecting memorabilia.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: