Football Programmes Centre

E Bay Order Cancellation
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
E Bay Order Cancellation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legend64

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:36 pm 
Post subject: E Bay Order Cancellation

One of the rare programmes that I was looking for came up on ebay about a week ago. Auction was for 7 days. The starting price was £50. The last few I have seen have gone for £100. I waited till today (last day) to make my bid. There was one bid of £50. I bid £87 with 2 mins to go and got the info that I was the highest bidder
I went to get the takeaway happy that I had filled a space in my collection.
When I returned home and checked my phone I had a message that my bid was cancelled by the owner. The programme arrives back relisted this evening for £100.
Surely this cannot be right/legal.
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:12 am 
Post subject:

Report them to Ebay,
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:51 am 
Post subject:

Name and shame!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:57 am 
Post subject: Re: E Bay Order Cancellation

Legend64 wrote:
One of the rare programmes that I was looking for came up on ebay about a week ago. Auction was for 7 days. The starting price was £50. The last few I have seen have gone for £100. I waited till today (last day) to make my bid. There was one bid of £50. I bid £87 with 2 mins to go and got the info that I was the highest bidder
When I returned home and checked my phone I had a message that my bid was cancelled by the owner. The programme arrives back relisted this evening for £100.

If it was a private auction then shill bidding has taken place. Name the seller and send a link to the item.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
das

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:49 am 
Post subject: Re: E Bay Order Cancellation

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Legend64 wrote:

If it was a private auction then shill bidding has taken place. Name the seller and send a link to the item.

That doesn't sound like shill bidding as he was the highest bidder. It's more like the seller wanted more for it so cancelled the bids and relisted for a higher price.

Probably trying to get round setting a reserve price as that costs extra although it used to be that you also had to pay if you cancelled bids and ended it.
kenners46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:11 pm 
Post subject:

I didnt think you could cancel a bid/s with 24 hours or less to go
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:00 pm 
Post subject:

Seller can cancel the order after the item ends , but must give a reason when he does.
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:55 am 
Post subject:

I've had something similar happen to me with a matchball.
Thought I'd won it at around £70 as I was highest bidder but get a note to say that it was lost/mislaid/damaged whatever.
A few weeks later the ball appears again but this time with a BIN at £300!

I've seen the thing ground round and round for a good 14 months or so...
Legend64

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:50 pm 
Post subject:

I contacted ebay and they did say it was wrong. All they could do was contact the seller and tell him not to do it again. I would get a chance to leave negative feedback. Really it reminds me of "water off a ducks back".
grantham

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:50 pm 
Post subject:

The problem with this type of complaint to ebay is that it suits them for it to be relisted and sold for more, they rarely take any interest in bad practices like this where they benefit ££££
cardiff55

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:04 pm 
Post subject:

I saw this happen last week. I think it was a Shamrock Rovers v Cardiff Cup Winners Cup game from 1967/68. Winning bid was £50, cancelled then re-listed for £100.

As a Cardiff 'expert' this programme sell for between £40-60 normally but I have seen it go higher, and last year one sold for £18. I think that the seller bought the programme from me last year for £45.

It may be another one you have seen, but this sort of thing is not on. If you put an item up for auction you take a risk you won't get what you want for it, so sell it as a Buy-It-Now with Best Offer can be the way forward.

Tony
bee007

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:56 pm 
Post subject: Ebay order cancellation

I had a similar experience last week with a badge. It was up for sale with a best offer option. I made the seller an offer that was declined so i put in a bid. I was the only bidder, when the bid was cancelled and badge withdrawn. I asked the seller for an explanation and they said there was a mistake with the listing and item was withdrawn then relisted and sold immediately. I can't find where the item was relisted so presume the seller sold it privately.
Legend64

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:34 am 
Post subject:

Quote:

Post subject:I saw this happen last week. I think it was a Shamrock Rovers v Cardiff Cup Winners Cup game from 1967/68. Winning bid was £50, cancelled then re-listed for £100.

Would you have another copy by any chance.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:01 pm 
Post subject:

Legend64 wrote:
Quote:

Post subject:I saw this happen last week. I think it was a Shamrock Rovers v Cardiff Cup Winners Cup game from 1967/68. Winning bid was £50, cancelled then re-listed for £100.

Would you have another copy by any chance.

Not at present, only my own. But I know someone who has and I may be getting it soon. So please send me a PM and I'll see what i can do for you.

Tony
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: