Football Programmes Centre

Alan McLoughlin RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Alan McLoughlin RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:59 pm 
Post subject: Alan McLoughlin RIP

Very sad news about Alan McLoughlin who has passed away aged only 54 years. I remember him at Swindon, roughly at the time of the photo below, he was in their midfield when they played Palace in the Div 2 play-offs, 1989. Very good player, midfielder with an eye for a pass and a goal. Made an even bigger impression later when he starred for Portsmouth for many years. In addition got the vital goal for the ROI when they beat Northern Ireland to qualify for the 1994 World Cup. Big Jack spoke very well of him in a clip I saw on You Tube earlier. They can have a great chinwag in a heavenly bar now.

RIP Alan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
stfc831968

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:16 pm 
Post subject:

I was really sad when i saw this news yesterday. When he first came to Swindon he took a while to establish himself, had a couple of loan spells at Torquay.

When Ossie Ardiles took over from Lou Macari in the summer of 89 it was the making of Alan; he was outstanding that season and scored 17 goals from midfield including the winning goal in the play-off final against Sunderland at Wembley.

He was sold late in 1990 to Southampton for £1,000,000 (due to Swindon needing money re their relegation due to financial iregularities); and whilst that move didn't work out for him, he had a long successful career at Portsmouth, and will always be remembered for that goal against Northern Ireland in 1993.

He had been back at Swindon since 2016 working in the Academy.

A lovely man, always had time for the fans, and 54 is just no age.

Rest in peace Alan.
garyspain

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:41 pm 
Post subject:

Really sad a lovely man. He scored the crucial goal away to Northern Ireland that earned the Republic a place at USA 94. He went to two World Cups. taken far too soon.
pompeygazz

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:40 pm 
Post subject:

Top player
RIP
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: