Football Programmes Centre

An ideal addition to any garden!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
An ideal addition to any garden!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martino

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:23 am 
Post subject: An ideal addition to any garden!

Jim LFC

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:11 pm 
Post subject:

My other sporting passion is St Helens rugby league club. One day as I was passing by the ground some ground improvements were taking place and I noticed a big hefty turnstile in the skip. I got chatting to the stadium manager who informed me that it was originally situated in the old paddock stand at Anfield and had been one of 5 which was donated to the Saints club when the main stand was being built in 1970.

After mulling it over, I went back the next day to see if I could maybe retrieve what potentially was a unique 50 year old piece of LFC history. But alas the skip was gone! Shocked

A harsh lesson learned..... Neutral
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:05 pm 

Great story Jim. What a collectors item. A few years ago my wife phoned from the hospital where she was working. A very, very famous football star had donated his birthday cake for the staff to enjoy. She said they had all had a slice , but a lot was still left over . Most of it went out onto the ward, but knowing that l tend to collect unusual football stuff, she asked do you want me to bring some of it home? I ended up with a huge piece of cake with the three lions still nicely intact on the top of it.. Having no idea how to preserve fruit cake with icing on top, l wrapped it in cellophane and put it in the freezer. I thought I’ll work out how to preserve it at a later stage. A few years later the cake was still there. We went on holiday for a couple of weeks and she accidently turned the bloody freezer off. Everything in the freezer was destroyed. I didn’t care about the fish fingers and the rest, but l still think about that cake!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:11 pm 
Post subject:

Not this cake?

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:22 pm 

I think the original must have been even bigger than that cake Pete! The one in your picture looks a lovely cake by the way Laughing
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:37 pm 
Post subject: Re: An ideal addition to any garden!

Flaming Pie wrote:
I think the original must have been even bigger than that cake Pete! The one in your picture looks a lovely cake by the way Laughing

Didn't do the Toffees much good - it was made for the 1977 League Cup Final which they lost to Villa after 2 replays! Would have been stale by then anyway!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:20 am 
Post subject:

About 25 years ago a mate of mine was at Loftus Road during the close season to pay off his season ticket.
The main front of the ground was being refurbished and a huge QPR plastic crest was standing in a skip.
He asked what was going to be done with it and they told him it was being chucked.
He asked for it and they said fine but wanted a few cans of lemonade for the builders as it was a blindingly hot day.
The deal was sealed although how he managed to get that huge crest back home on the tube still baffles me to this day! Shocked
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: