Football Programmes Centre

EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
beaudog



Joined: 06 Nov 2011
Posts: 269
Location: st11 9rh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 am 
Post subject: EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE
Reply with quote

Reaction to this idea is one of amazement. The pundits have all had their sixpennyworth and almost unanimously are completely against the formation of such a league. The almost total exclusion of other clubs to be included is surely negative, but I do not want a diet of top European matches and then have what I would think a diluted Premier league. How do you feel about this? I know that my TV channels and the big monthly payments will be a thing of the past with me as I shall cancel. Big clubs do not need the financial input of the spectators, who are the life and blood of the game. Very upset by the idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
martino



Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Posts: 2045
Location: Beautiful downtown Goostrey, Cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:41 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

As we all know foreign owner's do not care about the history of a Club; forgetting that it is that history that made the Club the money-making machine it is today.

On the face of it it is sheer greed by the owners and I hope that it goes no further.

Do the players have a say in this or are they just agents of the Club and do what they are told? We have heard what the ex players / pundits think about it but it would be interesting to hear what the current players think about it.

The timing of the announcement is interesting given that proposals for the revision of the Champions League are due to be finalised this week. These proposals are just as bonkers. Clubs say they play too much but UEFA are proposing more games!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andy jess



Joined: 27 Mar 2021
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:17 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

If these 6 English clubs have signed up for this Super league, then the English football authorities should expel them as they have broken the rules. Simples.
They need the English leagues more than the Leagues need them.
Promote an extra 6 Teams from the championship.
Expel all 6 teams, their reserves, youth teams , ladies teams, etc - or at very least threaten it.
If I was a supporter of one of the 6 teams, I'd be emailing my club and telling them I'll not be renewing my season ticket etc.
And where will all this extra sponsorship money come from, tv rights no doubt. Don't support sky or whoever gets the rights.
Finally, after that rant, new super league matchday programmes will be A4 size, 200 pages with nothing to read and cost £20 each.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator


Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 3948
Location: Wallington Surrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:19 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

The players won't like it if they aren't allowed to play in their domestic leagues and cups and are barred from playing for their countries. That's if the leagues and national organisations are good to their word, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

The whole thing stinks to high Heaven. Gary Neville got it right. Kick them out. Clap
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
flashhat



Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Posts: 560
Location: Buckingham

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:40 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

There was similar uproar in 1990 when the Premier League was born, those who hold biggest financial power will win through, if TV companies do not bid, viewers do not take up subscriptions, and sponsors do not come forward then it is unsustainable, but they will...
_________________
I was born in Bedfordshire, bred in Bedfordshire, & have been lumbered with Luton Town Sad Thanks dad R.I.P.

My football memorabilia: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

Non-league photographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

https://www.sportsshots.org.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Wants List
Raxfactor



Joined: 16 Jan 2020
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:47 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

What a laugh, were was the uproar when the gates reciepts split changed from 2/3 1/3, to all to the home team, did that change make the rich clubs richer?
yes, that's why non league and small clubs love a FA Cup tie against a top well supported team away because the revenue is shared.
Will Wembley still be a sell out on Cup Final day if these teams leave?
yes, will the league's still be a success if these teams leave? yes
Sunderland, Portsmouth Bradford City Sheffield Wed. Derby etc will still support their teams in large numbers.
Football will continue, I for one welcome this break away let the financial elite compete against each other a probable sarary cap will follow think the NFL of Europe.
Change happens, who knows if it will fail or be a roaring success will it lead to world super league?
I think it's great, motivated by greed and the fear of financial failure because it's definitely not about looking after your own.
Bring it on I say, it's so funny to see the Premier League eaten alive by a bigger fish.
Will it happen? definitely not they haven't got the guts to force it through, but I for one wish they would pursue their dreams and do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Five and In



Joined: 15 Sep 2015
Posts: 1303
Location: Dawlish, Devon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:29 pm 
Post subject: EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE
Reply with quote

Even though the club that I love are involved in this, I am 100% against it. It absolutely stinks of greed and nothing else.

Forign owners don't give a toss about the history of our clubs or leagues and only see the pound signs (or should that be Euros?) and chase for more and more through pure greed and the football itself is irrelevant to them.

I have no idea how this will end up, but it feels different to when Sky and the Premier League invented football in 1992 (if you listen to what they clearly believe)
Back then, football was a "product" on its knees with low attendances, run down stadiums and hooliganism.
It's a very different entity these days.

Many years ago, I had an idea that would keep most fans, TV companies and greedy clubs happy. I still think it would work. Take the Champions each season from twelve leagues. Let them all play each other home and away in a "Super League". Do away with the Champions League, but for the clubs finishing 2nd/3rd/4th have a European league with groups and then knockouts, similar to now. Everybody gets plenty of games, so keeps the money coming in and domestic leagues remain unaffected.

Gary Neville hit the nail firmly on the head last night and said exactly what most of us are thinking.

It's a sad day for football, but there is always the joy of "The Toxic One" leaving my club today for Spurs fans to brighten our day a little.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pafcprogs



Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Posts: 940
Location: Westerham Kent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:48 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

So as an Argyle fan this is well above our pay grade....

But yes I have no interest in a vague euro league ( I don't bother with the Champions League now anyway) but currently will watch the PL through Sky .....but if that becomes Wolves v Burnley...probably not for me...

So when do the current Sky deals run to....I wonder how they would feel if they have forked out and find the apparent main attractions, as it were, gone!

But this is probably a negotiating stance to make sure they get the best cut at the lowest risk...so they can prune juice it on players and managers ...

In the meantime I don't expect replica shirt sales to plummet any time soon.....

Let them go and watch it wither and die.....

Or let them go and end up subscribing to whatever broadcaster uses it to boost their ad revenues because you would rather watch Messi and Ronaldo and Neymar then Jephcott, Ennis and Hardie

I'll be staying put with my personal obsession.....
_________________
Currently disposing of my collection so please email any wants lists to [email protected].
Most Plymouth post war but plenty of others Cup Finals Internationals and Club issues, handbooks and other sports.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pompeypete
Forum Moderator


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 1090

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:59 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Like everone else....this stinks !!

It will be interesting who will televise the matches

If its sky, then it will be less money for the premiership

Of course another company could become a player,

Universal ?

Disney ?

There is $b,s to share out, but where / who are the sponsers?

And to make it worse the champions league is being increased to 36

Oh for the days of the "European Cup"......every team a champion

I,m happy to be in Div 1.........Proper football

I need to lie down
_________________
RESPECT..................

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Wants List
martino



Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Posts: 2045
Location: Beautiful downtown Goostrey, Cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:19 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

I felt really sorry for Solskjaer when being interviewed by Sky after the Burnley game yesterday.

The poor lad was like a rabbit caught in the headlights when the Sky interviewer asked for his thoughts on the European Super League.

All Ole knew was that an announcement had been made but nothing else but the interviewer kept pumping him for comment. And that probably was all he knew at that time!

If I was Ole I would have been round to Ed Woodward's office asking him why he did not make himself available for interview.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Five and In



Joined: 15 Sep 2015
Posts: 1303
Location: Dawlish, Devon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:27 pm 
Post subject: EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE
Reply with quote

martino wrote:
I felt really sorry for Solskjaer when being interviewed by Sky after the Burnley game yesterday.

The poor lad was like a rabbit caught in the headlights when the Sky interviewer asked for his thoughts on the European Super League.

All Ole knew was that an announcement had been made but nothing else but the interviewer kept pumping him for comment. And that probably was all he knew at that time!

If I was Ole I would have been round to Ed Woodward's office asking him why he did not make himself available for interview.


Agree with that 100% martino.

Any player or manager that gets asked questions about this at the moment are in an impossible position because they just don't know.

The owners will do what they do and skulk in the background silently.
Has anybody ever head Abramovich speak? Glazer? Whoever runs the show at Arsenal or Liverpool?
Man City's bloke and Levy do speak on rare occasions, but only on their own terms and one thing for sure is that none of the six will be speaking out loud anytime soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grumpypants



Joined: 09 Feb 2012
Posts: 406

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:55 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

I think it was pretty bad having the decision IN forming the Premiership back in 1992-93. Decided to give it a chance, but found I had lost interest after a short period of time. The death blow came with Sky practically running and dictating the League and kick off times.
This decision, as far as I am concerned, should it be approved, is the death of Football. The ENGLISH game, is now on the verge of being buried, once and for all, by European bureaucrats.
I am glad I saw the game as it was when I was a boy, to the point of these changes, and enjoyed it greatly, without all this greed, money and pre-maddonnas on and off the field.
Football R.I.P.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 3464
Location: the very western edge of Aberdeen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:16 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

The use of the phrase "legacy fans" summed it up for me - the owners of these clubs aren't interested in their history, not interested in their domestic support - what matters is the TV deals and what the Asian markets desire.

I can't see how, either practically or morally, this would work.
At best, Man C, etc are going to be playing weakened sides in their weekend PL games. And would all be unable to play midweek PL games.

Chuck all 6 of them out of the domestic game many people are saying and I agree. Sympathise with their real fans but there's much, much more to football in this country than these 6 clubs and it's now THOSE hundreds of other clubs who really matter now.

Even if the ESL doesn't takeoff, the damage has been done. If it doesn't happen now, they'll keep trying until it does happen.
_________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/derby1884/sets/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
derby1884
Forum Moderator


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 3464
Location: the very western edge of Aberdeen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:20 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Oh - and the hypocrisy of UEFA, the Premier League and many pundits (yes, you, Gary Neville) is beyond parody.

Content to rake the cash in when circumstances suited them, they're now squealing stuck piggies when the tables are turned.

Sorry - I just don't believe these bodies give a damn about us any more than the ESL villains do.
_________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/derby1884/sets/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
manchesterunitedman1



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 3101
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

During the last 12-15 months the most highly used word was "Unprecedented"around the World, folks were becoming ill out of nowhere and dying and there was nothing to stop it happening-then various vaccines were invented and slowly the rates of the infections are starting to decrease.

The people who have died and unfortunately WILL die because of Covid now and in the future can never be replaced, every Government in the World had no real idea how to combat this invisible enemy no matter how big their Armies or the number of Nuclear weapons they had gathering dust-BUT now there is a light at the end of the Tunnel, life as we all know it can never return to what it was 2 years ago-we will adjust and the deaths worldwide will act as a stark reminder but going forward for the generations to come we will be prepared....

World Football was hit 2 days ago head on without any real warning, the men behind this heinous act had carefully planned and plotted for a long time, have spent millions with their legal teams tying up every option to opposition when it would happen. There are no vaccines on this occasion to help to ease the the pain and i cannot believe that these intelligent Billionaires have considered that they would get an easy ride and that in time it would all blow over.

Who is going to stand up and be counted who has consequence?, if Jim and Harry want to burn their season tickets and stick up however many fingers they can muster is not going to make any difference at all because the instigators are well prepared and expect to lose a % of bums on seats initially but it is for them not about the fan going to the games it is about the fans PAYING to watch the games in the far flung places who cannot see the big name clubs-but that fascination will in time erode if it happens as without any competitive edge the players themselves despite how much cash is thrown at them will lose interest.

Perhaps the flaw in this monstrous plan by the evil 12 is that they believed their "millionaire surfs" would be as quick to accept this as they are but i suspect this is not going to be the case-you cannot start a fire without a match.......

Whoever your Political Allegiance is too at this moment there will not be ONE dissenting voice in Parliament in favour of this proposed self interest with the few looking to control the World, as Association Football is bigger than the parochial Baseball/Football or whatever is played in the USA. The ironic "World Series" only involves USA teams.

Whether you like or loathe Boris and his cohorts, they like everyone else in the World made mistakes but there was no Blueprint, now we are leading the World with how we are dealing with it-our former partners in Europe who always were smug and superior to us are now completely and utterly in the shite, just as they were in WW2 but this time let them sort themselves out as for once "I am alright Union Jack"-and the point of this last remark is that our Government has the power to bear on this evil 12 axis with many weapons, one of which is to put a tax on revenues and tie them up in Red Tape, repeal the laws and deny them using their stadiums, increase the taxes.

No one has consulted the players-none of them will want to play and get injured in friendly matches as this is all they will ever be.

If they wheel out Alex Ferguson like they did with Cantona and ole and had cards printed in the 1990's "to stand against the Glazers", he is a servant of the club and is not going to blow his £100k ++ a year for turning up to 3 board meetings.

Gary Neville has said the right things from his heart, Caragher also but they cannot influence that much, Footballs governing bodies knew this day would come and unless they demonstrate that they too have made plans then it is going to become very very messy.

Finally, i read this morning that 5 of the 12 clubs who want to create this are still in the Champions League and the Europa League-idle chat or not but remove them this week. City and Spurs-remove them, REMOVE Chelsea from the Cup Final and give it to Southampton to compete, deduct points from all those in the Premier League now so they cannot get into the top 4-the man in the street you cannot control-many will say "i will not watch or pay for it" but they will.

Where does all of this leave collecting then.....
_________________
Leslie Millman
Twitter: @manyuman1

To see 18,000+ original images relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2021 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images-17.6 + MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Raxfactor



Joined: 16 Jan 2020
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:57 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

As far as collecting goes it's great new avenue for first and last collecting, last game in the Premier League before the Super League, first game in the Super League, last game in the Super League if it only lasts a season or so, or if it never starts perhaps some proof experimental programmes will appear for games that never were.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator


Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 3948
Location: Wallington Surrey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:27 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
During the last 12-15 months the most highly used word was "Unprecedented"around the World, folks were becoming ill out of nowhere and dying and there was nothing to stop it happening-then various vaccines were invented and slowly the rates of the infections are starting to decrease.

The people who have died and unfortunately WILL die because of Covid now and in the future can never be replaced, every Government in the World had no real idea how to combat this invisible enemy no matter how big their Armies or the number of Nuclear weapons they had gathering dust-BUT now there is a light at the end of the Tunnel, life as we all know it can never return to what it was 2 years ago-we will adjust and the deaths worldwide will act as a stark reminder but going forward for the generations to come we will be prepared....

World Football was hit 2 days ago head on without any real warning, the men behind this heinous act had carefully planned and plotted for a long time, have spent millions with their legal teams tying up every option to opposition when it would happen. There are no vaccines on this occasion to help to ease the the pain and i cannot believe that these intelligent Billionaires have considered that they would get an easy ride and that in time it would all blow over.

Who is going to stand up and be counted who has consequence?, if Jim and Harry want to burn their season tickets and stick up however many fingers they can muster is not going to make any difference at all because the instigators are well prepared and expect to lose a % of bums on seats initially but it is for them not about the fan going to the games it is about the fans PAYING to watch the games in the far flung places who cannot see the big name clubs-but that fascination will in time erode if it happens as without any competitive edge the players themselves despite how much cash is thrown at them will lose interest.

Perhaps the flaw in this monstrous plan by the evil 12 is that they believed their "millionaire surfs" would be as quick to accept this as they are but i suspect this is not going to be the case-you cannot start a fire without a match.......

Whoever your Political Allegiance is too at this moment there will not be ONE dissenting voice in Parliament in favour of this proposed self interest with the few looking to control the World, as Association Football is bigger than the parochial Baseball/Football or whatever is played in the USA. The ironic "World Series" only involves USA teams.

Whether you like or loathe Boris and his cohorts, they like everyone else in the World made mistakes but there was no Blueprint, now we are leading the World with how we are dealing with it-our former partners in Europe who always were smug and superior to us are now completely and utterly in the shite, just as they were in WW2 but this time let them sort themselves out as for once "I am alright Union Jack"-and the point of this last remark is that our Government has the power to bear on this evil 12 axis with many weapons, one of which is to put a tax on revenues and tie them up in Red Tape, repeal the laws and deny them using their stadiums, increase the taxes.

No one has consulted the players-none of them will want to play and get injured in friendly matches as this is all they will ever be.

If they wheel out Alex Ferguson like they did with Cantona and ole and had cards printed in the 1990's "to stand against the Glazers", he is a servant of the club and is not going to blow his £100k ++ a year for turning up to 3 board meetings.

Gary Neville has said the right things from his heart, Caragher also but they cannot influence that much, Footballs governing bodies knew this day would come and unless they demonstrate that they too have made plans then it is going to become very very messy.

Finally, i read this morning that 5 of the 12 clubs who want to create this are still in the Champions League and the Europa League-idle chat or not but remove them this week. City and Spurs-remove them, REMOVE Chelsea from the Cup Final and give it to Southampton to compete, deduct points from all those in the Premier League now so they cannot get into the top 4-the man in the street you cannot control-many will say "i will not watch or pay for it" but they will.

Where does all of this leave collecting then.....


And Canadian teams in the baseball, Leslie.

As regards collectors, we comprise a small proportion of the so-called "Legacy fans", who the ESL are happy to risk losing in favour of the younger generation. They don't give a monkeys about us. Our collections cover a period in which they have no knowledge or interest.

Palace chairman Steve Parish, so vehement in his opposition to the ESL plans, has already discriminated against "legacy fans" at Palace, shifting over 400 long-term season-ticket holders out of our seats which were half way back behind the goal, and scattering us to all corners, in favour of the younger element who have a large drum and sing raucous and repetitive songs - ie a "choir". Parish is a hypocrite and on a vanity project. Please don't be taken in by his posturing on this serious issue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 3101
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:15 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Raxfactor wrote:
As far as collecting goes it's great new avenue for first and last collecting, last game in the Premier League before the Super League, first game in the Super League, last game in the Super League if it only lasts a season or so, or if it never starts perhaps some proof experimental programmes will appear for games that never were.


I think you are in the twilight world. The new league was not to replace the Premiership it was a Midweek European League to bin off the Champions League. Get My Coat
_________________
Leslie Millman
Twitter: @manyuman1

To see 18,000+ original images relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2021 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images-17.6 + MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Raxfactor



Joined: 16 Jan 2020
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:36 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

That might of been the original intention, however the footballing authorities, other teams in the league, politicians and anybody else with an axe to grind would probably have wanted to boot the shameless six out.
So that's my first and last collection.
However as I stated in my previous post the breakaway group I thought would not have the strength of will to see it through which is how it's played out.
It's a shame really, football has always been about money, change and tribalism.
The NFL in the US is by far a more equal sporting contest due to the fact the teams are more or less equal financially, so better coaches and innovations make a difference.
Which is amazing considering the US is the capalist flagship of the world.
Not so it the Premier League,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
derby1884
Forum Moderator


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 3464
Location: the very western edge of Aberdeen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:51 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Raxfactor wrote:
That might of been the original intention, however the footballing authorities, other teams in the league, politicians and anybody else with an axe to grind would probably have wanted to boot the shameless six out.
So that's my first and last collection.
However as I stated in my previous post the breakaway group I thought would not have the strength of will to see it through which is how it's played out.
It's a shame really, football has always been about money, change and tribalism.
The NFL in the US is by far a more equal sporting contest due to the fact the teams are more or less equal financially, so better coaches and innovations make a difference.
Which is amazing considering the US is the capalist flagship of the world.
Not so it the Premier League,


But then you get a crazy situation like the end of last season when the Jets fans actively wanted their team to lose their remaining games so they would get Trevor Lawrence in the draft.
As it was, the players shifted up a gear, the Jaguars ended up with the #1 draft pick, TL heads there, and it looks very like failure brings more reward.
I'm a big NFL fan (as a spectacle) but the Jets/Jags situation was ridiculous!
_________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/derby1884/sets/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
| More
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum