Football Programmes Centre

Barcelona v Hull
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Barcelona v Hull

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mtbhull

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:34 pm 
Post subject: Barcelona v Hull

This programme keeps appearing on ebay.

The cover has CF Barcelona on it yet the logo is FC Barcelona,[img][/img]. Barca reverter to their Catalan name after the death of Franco in 1975.

My instinct is that this was part of a series printed in the 70s - I don't see how it can be contemporaneous with the actual match. And yet people say that they have seen it at the Nou Camp museum. And more than that it is usually priced at over £100.

Does anyone know any facts about this 'programme'?
holtie96

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:39 pm 
Post subject: Barca

Here is my example it is real there is a burnley version too...
Mtbhull

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:11 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it, but I'm still not convinced it can be from the 1950s.

1 It says CF Barcelona along the top which is correct for that period. As I understand it Catalan language was proscribed and so the Catalan version FC Barcelona was not allowed

2 The crest/logo has the initial FCB which was only used before and after Franco - pre-war to 1975. It is the wrong crest for the 1950s

3 I can't find any other Spanish football programmes from this period apart from a series of rather similar ones of the same size and similar designs.

So that's my concern, I'd love it to be 'right' but ...

Are there any clues as to who printed or published it?
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:03 am 
Post subject: Barcelona 1951

tackler7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:56 am 
Post subject:

I would say none of the badges from the link posted by Texas Rangers compares to the programme cover.

It does not sit right with me.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:33 pm 
Post subject:

For comparison

55/56 bound volume at Sporting Gold this month

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/sportingold-limited/catalogue-id-srspor10067/lot-1bd5fe91-9a45-480c-8eda-acfb00cc7f08

A 1950 Barcelona season ticket

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/sportingold-limited/catalogue-id-srspor10051/lot-6428ed7f-3a84-48bc-9efd-aa5600f72956#lotDetails

League programmes from this season

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/tim-davidson/catalogue-id-srti10051/lot-768ba57a-1c36-4fae-9d0b-a6b400b480d7#lotDetails

The badge on the 1950/51 programmes matches the one used from 1975

Perhaps Barcelona were a bit naughty in 1950, used FCB on their programmes for just one season and then revived the design in 1975, post Franco? I have no insight here but that seems more plausible than these being 1970s reprints where they took the trouble to use FCB on the badge but left CF Barcelona on the masthead. A cursory search on The Saleroom and Todos Collecion shows Barcelona programmes post war are in pretty plentiful supply
Mtbhull

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:57 pm 
Post subject: Barcelona v Hull

Thanks for this reply colchestersid.

I must say that I had not seen a bound copy of these 'programmes'

But I cannot understand how the wrong crest is used. It seems to be something that did not happen on the others.

To say it was a mistake or the like is possible I guess. But Barcelona's ground was one of the few places where Catalan could be even spoken in Spain. The language was a big deal and that is why I think it points to this being a print from the 70s.

The other thing that makes me suspicious of these programmes is that they are glossy, with colour and photographs, more in line with a magazine than a football programme. I can't think of any 50s programmes in this country that would compare. I've had a cursory look at ebay and I can't find any programmes issued in this period by any other Spanish teams.

But I'm sure there are experts who can point me to the error of my ways!
overlap

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:14 pm 
Post subject:

I think this programme is genuine.
A few years ago I visited a flea market in Barcelona that the sadly-departed John Holroyd mentioned in a post on here some time back.
There were piles of similar Barcelona 1950s programmes for sale at a few euros each, covering run of the mill league games, but sadly none for the Hull or Burnley games (or any of their other friendlies against German or Swiss teams at around this time).
While the covers may be glossy the pages inside are of a cheap and pulpy 1940s/50s nature — all the production costs went into the covers.
(As for the badge issue it may have been sneaking something through to pit two fingers up to the Madrid establishment.)
Mtbhull

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:58 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks overlap. I think I may have visited the same place 25 years ago and picked these up - don't remember the programmes though! [img]
[/img]
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:40 am 
Post subject:

Bokbag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 pm 
Post subject:

No skin in this game as I don’t collect these, but I thought I would let you know that the Barcelona v Burnley friendly has just been put up on eBay. I’ve bought from the seller before and he is very reliable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1949-BARCELONA-v-BURNLEY-FRIENDLY-RARE-Official-Programme/224427746092?hash=item3440efa32c:g:K~kAAOSwd1tgebn9
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: