Football Programmes Centre

AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes For Sale at Fixed Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southend_Loyal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:59 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
I know a major collector who will buy the collection. I have sent you a pm when you reply l will give you a contact phone number

Is it Jaaz?
SheffieldGlasgowRangers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:05 pm 
Post subject:

. . .

Last edited by SheffieldGlasgowRangers on Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Driver8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:56 pm 
Post subject:

oh !!!

Here was me getting my multi million pound offer together and its gone!

I thought I had until the 28th?

oh well !
Southend_Loyal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:00 pm 
Post subject:

Same here. Had been in talks with a Rangers collector who was very interested around the £35k mark.

Oh well. Wonder who he sold to/how much? Sadly, I suspect to a dealer
colchestersid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:35 pm 
Post subject:

No criticism of the seller here, or the late collector, but..

Just wondering what arrangements other collectors on here have made for their collection should they be hit by the proverbial bus tomorrow?

It makes sense to leave behind some instructions just in case - what is valuable, what may only be good for recycling, how to sell, who to trust, what to avoid, an overall estimated value - so if you think it's all worth £100,000 your relatives don't accept £500 from that lovely man advertising in the local paper

To be honest I haven't done this myself so that's a job for me to sort out through the rest of lockdown!
SheffieldGlasgowRangers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:44 pm 
Post subject:

. . .

Last edited by SheffieldGlasgowRangers on Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:47 pm 
Post subject:

Sounds as if said dealer has cherry picked all the best stuff. Just hope you got a decent price.

As to the rest, very few 70s onwards programmes are worth £3 to £5. Most are chip paper I'm afraid.
SheffieldGlasgowRangers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:49 pm 
Post subject:

. . .

Last edited by SheffieldGlasgowRangers on Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:59 pm 
Post subject:

whosbrianwilson wrote:
Sounds as if said dealer has cherry picked all the best stuff. Just hope you got a decent price.

As to the rest, very few 70s onwards programmes are worth £3 to £5. Most are chip paper I'm afraid.

Spot on......
SheffieldGlasgowRangers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:34 pm 
Post subject:

. . .

Last edited by SheffieldGlasgowRangers on Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pablo2019

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:45 pm 
Post subject:

Good to hear!
Legend64

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:32 pm 
Post subject:

Glad you are happy you got a good price. There were a few rare ones in there that I would have been interested in. Wonder who the dealer was ? Cool
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:14 am 
Post subject:

Legend64 wrote:
Glad you are happy you got a good price. There were a few rare ones in there that I would have been interested in. Wonder who the dealer was ? Cool

I imagine Rangers collectors will know soon enough - it should be fairly obvious

The original poster has deleted all their posts by the way, not sure if they were offended by someone's suggestion that the remaining 15,000 post 1970s programmes didn't really have a retail value of £3-5 each. Maybe they took the prices asked for by bobfrankandelvis as being the actual value of what they had? Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that conversation!!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:41 am 
Post subject:

Why go back and delete every single post? all very odd Sherlock
henrytheheart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:14 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid wrote:
No criticism of the seller here, or the late collector, but..

Just wondering what arrangements other collectors on here have made for their collection should they be hit by the proverbial bus tomorrow?

It makes sense to leave behind some instructions just in case - what is valuable, what may only be good for recycling, how to sell, who to trust, what to avoid, an overall estimated value - so if you think it's all worth £100,000 your relatives don't accept £500 from that lovely man advertising in the local paper

To be honest I haven't done this myself so that's a job for me to sort out through the rest of lockdown!

This is exactly what I'm in the process of doing, but it is taking me forever. I'm sure that most of us started collecting with no thought for future valuation. Yes, we will all have some gems, but when I go up into the attic and open a box I get stuck for an age as the memories come flooding back. To me, the fact that these pieces of paper are worth either a mint or very little matters not a jot to me as I've never purchased a programme with an eye on future valuation. It has always been about completing the set. I'm not sure that my children will see it like this, so you're right; it makes sense to plan for the day.
das

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:51 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid wrote:
Legend64 wrote:

I imagine Rangers collectors will know soon enough - it should be fairly obvious

The original poster has deleted all their posts by the way, not sure if they were offended by someone's suggestion that the remaining 15,000 post 1970s programmes didn't really have a retail value of £3-5 each. Maybe they took the prices asked for by bobfrankandelvis as being the actual value of what they had? Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that conversation!!

Other than postponed issues most of the Rangers ones will be £3-5 for an entire season as they are so common. Most of the 15,000 will be other clubs so it would be buy to resell as I doubt anybody these days will collect anything and everything.

There would be little or no reward from trying to list them on ebay or anything like that by the time you factor in fees, postage and time to list them. That's probably more likely the reason the dealer didn't want them.
CanaryHonestMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:14 pm 
Post subject:

I have already made a list as previously suggested. My biggest worry was over obscure issues - such as 1940s/1950s friendlies away to non-league clubs and reserve single sheets - which many people would think were far less valuable than mass-produced big issues of the same period, and some very rare postponed issues which would not stand out to the layperson at all and just get bundled up with regular programmes. Also my family might not realise that somebody may well be prepared to pay a lot for a bound volume with a bashed cover for either one single issue, or to split the programmes up and sell them individually.
So I listed everything which ought to have a (conservative) value of £5 and upwards, season by season. I spelled everything out as though it was being read by someone who had no knowledge of football at all. I have recorded whether programmes also have printed or photocopied press reports or Saturday-evening papers with them, but listed any accompanying ticket separately. I have also mentioned other items, such as autographed menus, medals and railway handbills. I also stressed that the more modern stuff of the last 40-50 years has little value, but as there are a lot of press reports, tickets and teamsheets in there it could be worth bundling individual items up into larger auction lots covering different seasons.
In some cases I have included auction (particularly Sportingold) and eBay prices paid for the more valuable items. I also listed possible selling options, including dealers, auctioneers and private collectors with full contact details, together with an explanation of what I would think it best to do, eg it might be an idea to consider selling the English items in England and some of the Scottish ones in Scotland rather than just dealing with one person.
Finally, I printed out a copy of the list and it's with other personal papers etc, but mentioned on it is a link to a digital copy, so if ever anyone wanted to contact auctioneers in the future they could just cut and paste details straight into an email. (I reckon that a properly-compiled list would prevent anyone making a cheeky "£500 for the lot" sort of offer because it would be clear that the collection had been thoroughly assessed.) Also this means that if I find something else worth listing I just update the digital list, rather than going to the bother of printing out a whole new paper list.
Yes it can be a bit of a pain, but having spent quite some years sorting out my mother-in-law's stepfather's books and papers at her rambling house I know that my next-of-kin wouldn't have the same levels of time and perseverance. I'd also far rather the money went to them than a dealer or collector who struck lucky by being in the right place at the right time.
Hope this helps.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes For Sale at Fixed Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: