Football Programmes Centre

Every Picture Tells A Story
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Every Picture Tells A Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:45 pm 
Post subject:

The Kop have always had respect for visiting goalkeepers and even today still applaud the visiting keeper as they take up their position in front of the stand. Back in the day rapturous receptions were afforded to the likes of Gordan Banks, Joe Corrigan, Ray Clemence (on his return) and the inimitable Pat Jennings.

One match in particular in 1973 he cemented his reputation by single handedly thwarting the Liverpool team. He was totally inpired that day saving everything that was thrown at him apart from Keegan's mis-hit shot. But the feature of the game was his two penalty saves from Keegan and Tommy Smith, I can still see Tommy beating the ground with his fist as Pat raised his fist in triumph. One of the all time greats, his only blemish on his illustrious career was this. .....

https://youtu.be/CJrcmKmJVh8

Laughing Laughing
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:27 pm 
Post subject: Every Picture Tells A Story

Jim, The Kop could be very funny as well. I remember them singing the Des O’Connor hit ‘ Careless Hands’ to Leeds goalie Gary Sprake . I think he had dropped a clanger in a televised game prior to coming to Anfield and they were not going to let him forget it. I was also there when it had been reported in the papers that Peter Shilton was having an affair. Can’t remember the song or the ladies name, but l know The Kop serenaded him with it throughout the match. Who can ever forget them presenting the great Gordon West with a handbag as well. I think Gordon found it funny. This was then followed by a rendition ( sung to the tune of ‘Georgie Girl’ a hit for The Seekers) of Hey there Gordon West, you’re a bigger fruit than Georgie Best!
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:38 pm 
Post subject: Re: Every Picture Tells A Story

Flaming Pie wrote:
Jim, The Kop could be very funny as well. I remember them singing the Des O’Connor hit ‘ Careless Hands’ to Leeds goalie Gary Sprake . I think he had dropped a clanger in a televised game prior to coming to Anfield and they were not going to let him forget it. I was also there when it had been reported in the papers that Peter Shilton was having an affair. Can’t remember the song or the ladies name, but l know The Kop serenaded him with it throughout the match. Who can ever forget them presenting the great Gordon West with a handbag as well. I think Gordon found it funny. This was then followed by a rendition ( sung to the tune of ‘Georgie Girl’ a hit for The Seekers) of Hey there Gordon West, you’re a bigger fruit than Georgie Best!

Great memories!

Sprake actually threw the ball into the net at Anfield ! (1967 I think)

Shilton was caught in a compromising position in a pub carpark with a woman called TINA!

One of the funniest chants was aimed at Tommy Docherty after he was sacked from Man Utd for the affair with Mary Brown. To the tune "Knees up Mrs Brown" the words were changed to "Who's up Mary Brown, Tommy Tommy Docherty!" Clap The Doc took it in good heart and actually waived at the crowd! Wave
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:53 pm 
Post subject:

All these penalties and no mention to date of Kelvin Morton, the Man in Black on the day of Palace v Brighton, 27th March 1989 - a new record of 5 penalties awarded, 4 to Palace, of which 3 were missed. After Mark Bright scored the first, he failed with No 2 and then watched Ian Wright and John Pemberton also miss, with the latter's still in orbit now. Mike Trusson scored the Seagulls' single effort, but Palace won 2-1.

Gone are the days when senior players would lodge with a landlady who was hired by a club for that purpose. I remember hearing of George Best in diggings and his relationship with his landlady, a sort of surrogate mum. But he was just a lad - the two here are senior players, at Notts County in 1954. Tommy Deans (left, aged 32) and Harry Adamson (30) get a cuppa and who knows what else the fair lady had in her larder. I really don't know if clubs still hire digs and hostesses for younger players, maybe you do. So what can you tell me about these arrangements, what gossip is there about player/landlady relationships or difficulties? I hear a song coming on.........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:34 am 
Post subject:

OK, so a landlady didn't tempt any of you to write, so how about the Dagenham Girl Pipers?

FA Cup quarter final day at the Valley, March 1947 as Addicks' skipper Bert Johnson and keeper Sam Bartram lead out their team, egged on by two rows of young ladies bearing (and playing) instruments. Charlton responded by beating Preston and then Newcastle, and finally Burnley, to win the Cup for the only time in their history. So what does this inspire you to do? Has any of you seen or heard them in action? They are still around today with 15 members. What other musical diversions have you seen at a game? Or indeed at a football ground, without a game?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:53 am 

Charlton goalie Sam Bartram once decided to play in a crash helmet. Here he is talking about it: “ After a series of rough games at The Valley, during which l narrowly escaped injury, l was persuaded to try out a crash helmet specially designed for goalkeepers. I never felt more awkward, nor more unbalanced, and l knew at once that the risk of getting a kick in the head was preferable to wearing the top of of a diving suit- which is what it felt like! I did see The Dagenham Girl Pipers. This would be early 60s. If one of your parents worked for Van den berg and jurgens ( Stork margarine) Bromborough, their children would be invited to a massive fete on the field near the factory . l think this was held every year. Can’t remember the pipers at all , but they were on the bill. Only thing l can recall would be the police stunt team , riding through hoops of fire. Just to say, l saw the great Little Richard live on stage in Birkenhead around the same period and l can remember everything about him. Absolutely brilliant!
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:07 am 
Post subject:

Do they still have a military band playing before the FA Cup Final?

I always wondered whether the band members got to stay to watch the match. Does anybody know.

Over the years I have seen some awful pre match and half time “entertainment”. Carlisle had possibly the worst, but most enthusiastic, cheerleaders for a couple of years.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:29 am 
Post subject:

Wales v England in 2005, some bright spark decided to book Welsh comedy rappers Goldie Lookin' Chain for the pre match entertainment - it went down like a lead balloon

I've actually been to a couple of their gigs and they were good fun but this was really poor and seemed to go on forever

Afterwards the Welsh FA had to apologise - GLC dedicated one of their songs (Your Misses is a Nutter) to David and Victoria Beckham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF8f2dRRIFQ
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:57 am 
Post subject: A Programme from This Day in January

White Hart Lane in the 80's was a magnet for a half time performance by Chas n' Dave.
It felt like they were there every week, but always got the crowd involved, so it was all good and much better than some of the dross we had to endure at away grounds.
In particular I recall an awful "bubblegum pop" group at Bristol City (if my memory is correct) one year that we crucified from the terraces.

Jim LFC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:23 pm 
Post subject:

When football was invented in 1992 ( nothing counted before then, if you watch Sky Wink ) the Premier League and Sky instilled cheerleaders at most of the games. Whilst these were a mild distraction for most fans, at one game I recall a large Bart Simpson walking around the ground, mascot style. Most people remember our match at Goodison in December 1992 for the late winner by Peter Beardsley to secure a 2-1 win for the Bluenoses. I remember it more for the pre match kick in when McManaman, Redknapp and Barnes were all taking pot shots at Bart Simpson's head! Laughing Best entertainment by far! Smile
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:03 pm 

Carlisleprogs, from memory , the band would sit near the pitch and march back on at half- time to play a few more stirring tunes. Some of that Pathe News YouTube FA Cup Final clips shows this, l think? Can’t really be doing with music at football. Just want to go there to watch the game. Don’t mind the pre-match when the teams run out, and also the spontaneous crowd songs ( ie The Kop) but a lot of the more recent music playing seems contrived and phoney. Playing some daft song when the home team scores a goal Shocked lm probably just stuck in the past!
farmersboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:09 pm 
Post subject:

On the subject of mascots, my local team, Northampton, used to have a mascot supplied by a local skip hire firm who sponsored them as well as Clarence the Dragon. Just before a local derby against Peterborough, he was booed by the crowd, always a bad sign. The Cobblers lost 4-1 and the late Justin Edinburgh was duly sacked. Once the mascot gets stick there really is nowhere to hide.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:51 pm 
Post subject:

Totally agree that music at football matches just should not happen - though a few foot-stompers through the tannoy at half time don't hurt. However, I can confess to seeing Ten Years After, The Who and AC/DC at Wembley Stadium, but that doesn't really count. Some very good submissions there chaps, thank you.

Having a bit of a rest after today's entry, I've got a lot going on over the next week or two. So I'll end with this one (for now)...

The photo here is taken from the Thornton Heath & District Football League on 7th February 1976. The two teams are Saints Athletic and Croydon Old Boys - and I can say that 5 weeks before this, I played against COB - I don't keep records but I do remember very clearly that on 3rd January 1976 I was playing against an old schoolmate, a fellow Palace diehard, who played for COB and on that day Palace were appearing at Scarborough in the FA Cup. We discussed our chances at various intervals in the game. I haven't seen that bloke since. What's amazing about this photo is that there is a lady refereeing, 24 year-old mother-of-two Jenny Bazeley - the very first woman to officiate at an all-male football match. She had qualified and been given this game, but the (good old) FA objected and barred her, but the 2 teams protested on the grounds that the League rules stated that in the absence of an official referee, the 2 teams could agree on a suitable replacement - no mention of gender. So the FA were embarrassed into a U-turn. And here's Jenny. So that was 1976 and in about 1994 or 95 there was the first female "referee's assistant" in the Football League. 25+ years later, a lady lino is fairly commonplace. How long before we get a female ref? Will we still be alive? Anyway, what's your opinion on this? Women in football... playing, commentating, managing, coaching, physio, officiating? Don't hold back but please, no out-and-out sexism - be firm but fair. Over to you. Thank you all (9,846 thread views to date - brilliant!) Easy

Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:58 pm 
Post subject:

My parents lived in Spain for many years, and one of their neighbours out there on the Costa Blanca used to live in Edith Road next to Selhurst Station. When she was a girl growing up, they had a Crystal Palace player live with them as a lodger, called Stan Charlton. Nothing more to add than that other than what a small world!
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:09 pm 
Post subject:

I am sure I saw the first league match with a female official. It was Torquay v Carlisle in about 1994.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:08 pm 
Post subject:

As referreing is about knowing the rules of the game and applying them, in theory there's no reason why a woman can't be in charge - it might even make players behave a bit better.
On thesubject of women's football, I've never actually watched a match but, once again, the science of the sport would suggest there's no reason why it shouldn't be just as skilful, if a lot less physical.

My main gripe iswith the media coverage - the BBC and certainly The Guardian seem to give the sport coverage which is out of sync with its popularity. And they mix stories/reporta in with the men's game. There is more coverage of women's football in the Guardian now than there is of football at Championship level and below.

I can understand the agenda behind this but I've never been a fan of 'positive discrimination' in any aspect of life.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:58 pm 

Women referees in the Football League will definitely happen . If there’s a women’s lnternational game on TV l will have a look. Some very talented players , Fran Kirby, Megan Rapinoe and others. I had to admire Rapinoe when Trump tried to use her and the successful USA team for a PR stunt when they won the World Cup. She told him to do one. A few years ago , one of my grandkids under 11 teams introduced a young girl into their line-up. A very talented kid, who would take on the opposition and would often be subjected to a few kicks. I remember talking to her parents and telling them she reminded me of George Best . They seemed puzzled by the comparison. I explained that similar to Best, she is getting kicked all over the pitch , but she gets up and carries on taking the fight to the opposition with no fear. At the end of the season Manchester City signed her. I should be a talent scout Very Happy
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: