Football Programmes Centre

Scottish Programme Collectors Club
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Scottish Programme Collectors Club

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:44 pm 
Post subject: Scottish Programme Collectors Club

Just reading some old articles and there seems to have been a few of these clubs back in the day but do any exist now in Scotland.

Is there a case for re starting one if there isn't?

What could it bring to the hobby now?

Is there any interest out there and an appetite for this?

Or is it the case of them having had their day.

Interested to hear views....not just of Scottish collectors ( I only choose Scotland because of where I live) but from collectors in general as the questions are just as pertinent across the country.
Drvonshineck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:39 pm 
Post subject:

I am not sure what a programme collectors club is?
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:55 pm 
Post subject:

Good question and i suppose, in a clumsy way, thats what i was getting at.

Just wondered what was involved with these and if the social media era and platforms such as this site, coupled with the decline in numbers involved in the hobby, effectively killed them off?
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:46 pm 
Post subject:

40 or so years ago ,when I was at Uni, I tried setting up an "Aberdeen Programme Collectors Club" through the Uni mailing network.
The idea was to meet up once a month in a pub, take along some of our recent acquisitions - ultimately to organise some sort of Prog Fair in the Granite City via one of the Scottish dealers.

I got two members - well, it was a start - but soon realised that I should have titled the club as "Programme Collectors Living In Aberdeen" as they were both Dons' collectors and singularly disienterested in Baseball Ground public practice matches. Not the best of starts.

After a handful of get-togethers in the historic Kirkgate Bar, (always worth a visit anyway) the whole thing just died due to, let's face it, lack of organisation and, crucially, purpose. But at least I tried!

Funnilly enough, some 30 years later, I went for a job interview and found myself face-to-face with one of the two guys. I didn't remember him but he remembered me - "you're not still a Derby fan, are you?", he asked.

Tricky one to answer - "yes" and I come across as some sort of obsessive eccentric......"no" and I'm lying thru my teeth.

Opted for "yes" - and I got the job.

And got made redundant 18 months later Shake
PeterE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:08 am 
Post subject:

I suspect collectors' clubs have had their day. This forum is probably the closest that you could expect to get to one in the digital age.

derby1884 - you might be interested in a new venture from the AFC Heritage Trust. They launched a quarterly magazine 'Black & Gold' last month. It features articles on old players and events at the club, written by fans, with images of programmes and other collectables. There are still copies left by sending £4 by PayPal to [email protected] - leave your name and address in the notes. It's something that we hope will gain traction from the wider club support.
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:14 am 
Post subject:

There is a Rangers collectors club on facebook with around 7,000 members there is also an Irish collectors club, on facebook there are many football programme pages one covers Scottish football programmes exclusively another Scottish ticket collectors and another Scottish International collectors.
PeterE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:17 am 
Post subject:

That's great to hear Eck.
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:51 am 
Post subject:

Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:03 pm 
Post subject:

Briliant Eck

Thanks, ill check them out

Jim
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:37 pm 
Post subject:

Derby1884 - Had a pint or two over the years in the Kirkgate. We head to Aberdeen every year for a weekend of xmas shopping. Great city. Favourite is the Archie Simpson though, especially on a match day. Always mange to get a decent blether with the locals

Thanks for the replies guys
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: