Football Programmes Centre

Ray Clemence RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ray Clemence RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:49 pm 
Post subject: Ray Clemence RIP

Another one gone - and only 72, Ray Clemence - one of the finest keepers ever produced in this country. Skegness born, started at nearby Scunthorpe but after a couple of seasons Bill Shankly snapped him up and Liverpool reaped the rewards of having him in goal for the 1970's. He played 470 league games there and hundreds of cup ties and won endless medals. Not content with that he moved to Spurs in 1981 and had about a decade there. So played over 750 league games and won 61 full caps - a total that would have been far higher had he not been the same age as Peter Shilton.

And from all reports a lovely man too with a loving family including
having Dougie Freedman as a son-in-law.

RIP Ray, never forgotten.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:59 pm 
Post subject:

R.I.P

Another footballing great gone.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:15 pm 
Post subject:

Absolutely gutted, another one of my heroes departed.

Whenever I'm asked to name my all time LFC eleven I barely mention the goalkeeper as it goes without saying who would occupy that privileged spot. Ray Clemence was such a pivotal part of our successful era in the 70's, dependable, reliable and totally inspiring. Some of the vital saves he made were beyond magnificent, such was his agility.

Rest in peace big man.
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:51 am 
Post subject: Ray Clemence RIP

Not many players get classed as a legend at two clubs, but Clem managed just that.

I was at Anfield the first time he returned after joining Spurs and will never forget the reception he received from The Kop that day.
We already knew it, but it showed us we had somebody very special in our ranks.

I was fortunate to meet Clem on several occasions and he was a really decent guy too and happy to have a chat.

Rest well Ray.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: