Football Programmes Centre

Anyone know anything about 1954 brasil v hungary ovomaltine?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anyone know anything about 1954 brasil v hungary ovomaltine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Team Sheet Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplenasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:55 pm 
Post subject: Anyone know anything about 1954 brasil v hungary ovomaltine?

This is what I mean. Never seen this before and I think it has a few signatures.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:18 pm 
Post subject:

Googling it says Ovomaltine is a Swiss drink, not quite the same as Ovaltine but on the same lines.

Putting 2 & 2 together, the 1954 World Cup was played in Switzerland and this match Brazil v Hungary was known as the Battle of Berne and was the quarter final, with Hungary winning 4-2.

There are some famous players listed there, for example the Santos brothers of Brazil and Hidegkuti of Hungary though Puskas looks to be absent.

Syd Owen and Albert Quixall are two of the signatories and they were in the England squad.

Some World Cup collectors would pay a lot of one of these, I should imagine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:18 pm 
Post subject:

It was part of a cricket lot sold at the Unique auction last week ( the hoarders sale which was discussed elsewhere).

They didn't publish the sale results on Easy;ive so I have no idea what was paid for it.
purplenasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:35 pm 

Thanks for any help. Yes I won the cricket lot but this came with it and I am not a football collector of world cup lists and just wondered what it was , how much it was sensibly worth and how to sell it?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:38 pm 
Post subject:

What size is it and what sort of paper is it printed on?

Ebay probably. No idea on value myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:45 pm 
Post subject:

Well as Arthur Ellis was the referee it is probably the 1954 World Cup quarter final , the infamous Battle Of Berne.

However whether it was produced at the time I have no idea

Barry Dixey is your man for this I think....
purplenasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:50 pm 

Its 24 by 18 cm. It has as its back thick paper that has the scores for Germany and I assume some for Hungary
purplenasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:52 pm 
Post subject:

How do I message Barry?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:52 pm 
Post subject:

pafcprogs wrote:
Well as Arthur Ellis was the referee it is probably the 1954 World Cup quarter final , the infamous Battle Of Berne.

However whether it was produced at the time I have no idea

Barry Dixey is your man for this I think....

Must be given those England squad signatories. Presumably some of them watched the game?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:53 pm 
Post subject:

purplenasty wrote:
How do I message Barry?

He'll probably see this, as will a few other WC collectors.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:56 pm 
Post subject:

There's little doubt that its from the 54 Quarter final.

Programme tends to go for between £50 and £80 lot.

Difficult to say (if its just the team page) from the programme with a few England signatures how much its worth.
1980Cossie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:34 am 
Post subject:

This is the central pages removed from the 32-page official programme for the match, you can see the holes for the staples so was removed and not a team sheet or anything like that. Value wise not much. The fact it is signed maybe a WC collector would pay £25-£50 at the most depending who the other signatures are. The black background paper is just a backing and I presume it is glued to this.
purplenasty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:18 am 

Thanks for that. I have just seen the middle pages of a program and that is what it appears to be. And stuck down as you say. The hardest bit is to identify the signatures. I think I have 4 so far billy wright, r byrne, Albert quixall and sydney owen. The one on far left bottom looks like denis law but it cant be? Anyone any other spots? Thanks again everyone. That has been a massive help. Probably put it on ebay starting at £5 and just let people bid a value.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:29 am 
Post subject:

I think the upside down sig underneath the Hungary team is Allenby Chilton of Manchester Utd. As you say, that can't be Denis Law, if it was signed in 1954 he was only 14 then.

If one of them is indeed Roger Byrne, then it can't have been signed after Feb 1958 for the saddest of reasons.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Team Sheet Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: