Football Programmes Centre

CLEAR FACE / FILM FRONT PAPER BAGS FOR PROGRAMMES
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CLEAR FACE / FILM FRONT PAPER BAGS FOR PROGRAMMES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeB33

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:21 pm 
Post subject: CLEAR FACE / FILM FRONT PAPER BAGS FOR PROGRAMMES

Hi All

Where does everyone currently get their Clear Face/Film Front paper bags for programmes from?

I thought these used to be readily available from a lot of programme websites once upon a time but it seems not so much these days. A few people have sent me in the direction of catering supplies websites who sell them for serving food in like Sandwiches, Wraps, Cakes etc.

The other thing, as long as these are acid free and are fine for storing programmes in over time, is the sizing. I cannot seem to find any that would comfortably fit programme sizes without the extra cm or two and, therefore, having to fold the excess over on itself and tape it to the back paper part (if that makes sense?).

Most of mine are 90's programmes of which have the following measurements:

Smallest (Most Common)

15cm (6") Wide x 21cm (8.5") Long

Tallest

17.5cm (7" Wide) x 25cm (10") Long

Widest (Man Utd 'Square' style)

21.5cm (8.5" Wide) x 24cm (9.5") Long

Magazine

21cm (8.5") Wide x 30cm (12") Long

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
grantham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:00 pm 
Post subject:

I've used these in the past

www.cater4you.co.uk
Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:39 pm 
Post subject: Re: CLEAR FACE / FILM FRONT PAPER BAGS FOR PROGRAMMES

LeeB33 wrote:

The other thing... is the sizing. I cannot seem to find any that would comfortably fit programme sizes without the extra cm or two and, therefore, having to fold the excess over on itself and tape it to the back paper part (if that makes sense?).

I think that ^^^ is unavoidable. The 7" x 10" (175 x 250mm) are the ones I use for A5/B5 size programmes but there will always be an overlap.

I've used this company in the past

http://buyrite.co.uk/bags/Film%20Fronted%20Bags.htm
overlap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:24 pm 
Post subject:

Believe it or not these film front bags are getting really hard to obtain.

They have been caught up in anti-Plastics movement because of whatever the film fronts are made of, and are no longer being produced/scrapped.
flashhat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:24 pm 
Post subject:

I sell these bags for a living, and the decline of these bags has been gradual over the past few months.
The reason being more and more paper mills worldwide are closing down and we are now faced with the situation where the remaining mills are flat out, 24/7 producing to supply the world. Hence, prices have gone through the roof, as well as demand that is never ever going to be met.
You can get cheap imports from the far east, but they tend to be very poor quality, often not glued on all three sides, and are well worth avoiding. The oddball sizes (that programmes need) are as a result put on the run list last, as the square shapes (for sandwiches, cakes etc) are far more popular in the catering trade.
Then we had the anti plastic brigade, the film front is in fact recyclable PP, however the separation of the paper from the film is too complicated a process and therefore they end up in landfill, where they will sit for ever and a day.
We now supply compostable film front bags, however I dont think these will catch on for us programme collectors for obvious reasons, they are very thin and who knows what the PLA ('poly lactic acid') film would do to the cover of your prized possession.

My football memorabilia: https://www.flickr.com/photos/192140619@N08/albums

Non-league photographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/143473465@N03/albums

https://www.sportsshots.org.uk/
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:45 pm 
Post subject:

Has anyone tried the bags and boards used by comic collectors. I appreciate that the sizing wont suit every programme style, but i understand they do magazine size storage as well.

I have each of my programmes in an A4 wallet but was looking at alternatives
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:52 pm 
Post subject:

Hi all

Just re visiting my question in the previous post and wondered if anyone had any thoughts / opinions on it

Tried a standard size programme in a comic book bag and board today and I think it looks the part and better than the A4 wallets i currently have.
flashhat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:04 pm 
Post subject:

Just to add to my post from July, the traditional film front bags are even more scarce now, huge supply problems nationwide

My football memorabilia: https://www.flickr.com/photos/192140619@N08/albums

Non-league photographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/143473465@N03/albums

https://www.sportsshots.org.uk/
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:30 pm 
Post subject:

Has anyone tried the bags and boards used by comic collectors. I appreciate that the sizing wont suit every programme style, but i understand they do magazine size storage as well.

I have each of my programmes in an A4 wallet but was looking at alternatives.....

I highly recommend finding a comic shop online. I bag and board mine and use a small size comic holder, stood up holds about 150-200 .. see picture, though I apologise it isn't clear due to white background.

Last edited by tufcprogs on Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:31 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Flashhat,

I recall you saying that but I was thinking more of the above as an alternative
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:33 pm 
Post subject:

Obviously posted at same time, yes, thats what im looking at Tufcprogs.
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:46 pm 
Post subject:

If you have a comic shop close go along. Take a programme and even ask for them to show you... american marvel etc size bag and boards to test if you like it. I recommend sealable too.
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:53 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Tufcprogs.

Appreciated

Jim
josephmayoress

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:32 pm 
Post subject:

I can see this thread is a little old, but I just wanted to share my two cents. For your specific program sizes, you might want to consider reaching out to a local printing or packaging supplier. They often have a variety of custom sizing options and can even provide you with acid-free bags tailored to your needs. It's worth giving them a call or checking their websites. Additionally, you can check out some excellent choices at https://www.interplas.com/paper-grocery-bags. While they may not be specifically designed for programs, I've found them to be incredibly convenient and practical to use. You can always repurpose and adapt them to fit your program sizes, and the quality is usually top-notch.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: