Football Programmes Centre

"Accept offers" on ebay
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
"Accept offers" on ebay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:28 am 
Post subject: "Accept offers" on ebay

Does this ever work out in favour of the seller? I was recently watching a programme on ebay, ready to bid £420 and the seller accepted an offer of £100 the day the auction started from someone else

I clearly need to rethink my tactics and put in some low offers!!!
barnetandy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:30 pm 
Post subject:

I could be wrong, but i believe if the start price was £100 with a best offer, if an offer is made and the sale completed, the listing does not show the offer price, just the £100 start. That might make you feel better Smile
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:46 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Andy

It was a start price of just £5 so when you look at the completed listing that is what it shows. But if you look at the seller feedback a few days later you can see the price actually paid - in this case £100
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:46 pm 
Post subject:

I put a programme up for Auction

Nowhere in the region of the costs mentioned above right enough.

I received an offer which i declined. It wasnt a bad offer but there were several watchers with 5 days still to go plus one had sold previously for over double what had been offered so i figured i had nothing to lose.

Lo and behold i got one bid which was the winning bid, half that of the offer.......but by the same person????

Win some, lose some i guess
kcs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:36 pm 
Post subject:

I think if you put a bid in then the best offer is no longer an option.

Of course, it doesn't stop a private sale

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
barnetandy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:46 pm 
Post subject:

Sid - That's a bit of an ouch then. As has been said, win some you lose some and I say that as a buyer and a seller. I must admit if there is the offer function and the start price is low or reasonable, i would always offer that or thereabouts to see if I'm lucky, knowing that it ends the option as well. Not sure if it's a good tactic or not. All the best.
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

You can auto select amounts to accept and decline as a seller. Put something on for £99 and got offered £125 so that got accepted !

Similarly, had another item on for £30 and got an irate potential buyer asking why i wouldn't accept his offer of £20? Some people are just a bit thick!
bee007

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:34 pm 
Post subject:

Some sellers actually accept lower offers than starting price, depending how high original price was.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

You'd be amazed at the amount of sellers who accept lower offers, especially if you offer in the last 24 hours if there's no bids been made.

Also, look out for those items that have been on three or four times, because the price is too high, and offer something more realistic.

On the other side, if the seller is selling football related memorabilia and there's a really nice programme, and you look at their feedback history and see they normally sell Lego or computer games, there's a really good chance they'll accept an offer just over the opening bid. You know it'll go for a lot more if it stays on till the end.
drfc4ever

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:25 pm 
Post subject:

I have benefited from offers as a buyer, but I have also used it to chance my arm. I offered 3 times on an item, all above the initial asking price and all declined, I then put a bid in on the item, which then removes the offer facility for all, in the hope I get the item for something around my initial offers.

As a seller, I have accepted offers, but generally I start the bidding at an amount I am happy to accept as a minimum, rather than a low 99p start.

My best example, I made an offer on a programme of £5 which was accepted, I then listed the same item it a few months later at £49.99 of which I accepted an offer on of £95

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doncasterroversprogrammes/sets
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> eBay All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: