Football Programmes Centre

E Bay - can anyone explain this?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
E Bay - can anyone explain this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:20 pm 
Post subject: E Bay - can anyone explain this?

I bid for a programme and I was subsequently outbid. I do not have a problem with that. The item still has a few days to run.

However, after outbidding me, the same bidder entered another nine bids I suppose to "up" his maximum bid.

Surely he could have just entered one bid with his maximum amount or am I missing something?
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:01 pm 
Post subject:

That's plain wierd I agree.

A (very) long time ago, I wanted a canteen of cutlery from ebay, and it had a reserve. I must have put in a dozen bids, but each time I got 'reserve not met. Eventually I gave up as I wasn't prepared to bid any more. Then the seller got in touch (I guess everything was a lot more transparent then) and got all stroppy!

There's some wierd stuff goes on for sure
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

Nine seems to be extreme but occassionally I do put in an extra one or two bids. I don't know if they do any good, but work on the basis that someone else seeing it may be put off bidding by thinking that I'm going to pay decent money for it.

On the other hand, the outcome may be that they try and make me "pay for it" by bidding me up!
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:36 pm 
Post subject: Ebay

Cannot really believe these experienced people have posted this apart from trying to provoke discussion. They surely know about Ebay foibles and the idiotic bidding process and bidders ego syndrome or naivety which instigates being "top bidder" for a brief period.
Which leads to another often quoted topic " It will find its own level whatever the start price".
Only relatively true in some programme categories. We have all been bitten by starting something at 99 pence believing the perceived value will realise what we think is its "true value" only to be disappointed by the many variables.
Just a random thought after a few beers.
martino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:29 am 
Post subject: Re: Ebay

Leigh Treymaine wrote:
Cannot really believe these experienced people have posted this apart from trying to provoke discussion.

Sorry to have wasted your time, Leigh
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> eBay All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: