Football Programmes Centre

Mystery press photo c 1950
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mystery press photo c 1950

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:44 pm 
Post subject: Mystery press photo c 1950

Hi All

The photo above was sold to me as from a Birmingham City away game around 1950. The seller's mate's dad was the photographer and that's when he was working in that field. So that's what I was told.

I have a couple of Birmingham collectors on my books and there are 2 "City" players (presumably in blue & white) in the photo, one lar left and one in the air with the keeper. The 2 collectors don't recognise either of the players.

So maybe I'm flogging a dead horse there so my attention turns to the ground and the team in white, presumably the home team, but not necessarily, and that's where I need your help as I am really struggling to identify them.

Any ideas please? Many thanks as always

Pete Sherlock
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Rocky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:52 pm 
Post subject:

A stab in the dark to get the ball rolling.

If it is Birmingham, then it may point to their time in Division 2 in the early 50's rather than against a club in the top flight during the 48/49 & 49/50 seasons? Looking at the clubs and kits circa 1950 in Division 2…possibly Gigg Lane & Bury?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:11 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks very much Rocky.

However............ I put this on Twitter a few weeks back and asked if it might be Bury at Gigg Lane. Two or three Bury fans said it wasn't Gigg Lane, but nobody came back with anything positive.

It's very unusual for a picture like this to be completely unidentified. Somebody must recognise that Archie Leitch stand, for instance.

Cheers Sherlock
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Rocky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:50 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
I put this on Twitter a few weeks back and asked if it might be Bury at Gigg Lane.

Well, we both thought it may have been Bury! The Bury fans will be correct but as you say it's very unusual for a picture like this to be completely unidentified.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:37 pm 
Post subject:

How about Fellows Park, Walsall? With the dark shirts being red and not blue?

Just a thought.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:29 am 
Post subject:

Getting nowhere fast with this one.

But Fellows Park has been turned down as an option - so how about Filbert Street Leicester? Any chance?

Only thing is when you Google it on that side of the ground there always seems to be a row of chimney pots visible behind the stand. But there's none here, or maybe the photo is from so low an angle as to make the pots invisible? Any thoughts?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:39 am 
Post subject: Mystery press photo c 1950

Hi Pete, just got out of Sing Sing ?When l first saw the photo l thought it had the look of an Everton away strip late 1940s. The goalie could be Ted Sagar, player to his right might be Cyrill Lello. Everton played in these colours with black and white hooped socks during 1946-47 season . Lello signed in 1947. Can’t pick out the ground. Might be a pre- season benefit/ charity type match at a neutral venue? Perhaps it’s not 1950? By the way, the Wigan Athletic 1950 debacle is hilarious . I think the original comment from The Sorter and his other remarks are very tongue-in- cheek. He’s given us all a laugh . All the best.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:09 pm 
Post subject:

Nice to hear from you after your spell in Sing Sing. It beats Strangeways anyway.

I'll go down the Everton away route and see if I have any luck there.

2 blokes have now suggested Filbert Street so it may be Leicester v Everton late 40's. Let's see what I come up with now.

Cheers! Sherlock
goodison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:25 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
2 blokes have now suggested Filbert Street so it may be Leicester v Everton late 40's.

Everton didn't play Leicester after the war until the 1951/2 season when they got relegated to Division Two.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:00 pm 
Post subject:

Could be 51/2 as Cyril Lello played in that game - but keeper was Harry Leyland.

But it may not be Leicester (or Everton) at all.

Time will tell.

Cheers
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: