Football Programmes Centre

Jon Gittens RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jon Gittens RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:52 pm 
Post subject: Jon Gittens RIP

Sad news today of the passing of Jon Gittens aged just 55. He started as a centre back at Southampton but it was at Swindon in the late 80's when he was charged with marking Wright & Bright in the Div 2 play offs that I first noticed him. Palace won through but he gave a great account of himself and I thought he was destined for the top. He didn't quite make it but had a long career with over 400 league games at Saints, Swindon, Middlesbrough, Pompey, Torquay & Exeter before ending in non-league. Management and coaching followed in non-league and student football in the south west.

No age at all and a very good player. RIP Jon.

At Saints, in his second spell there, 1991

For Swindon, at West Ham, crunching David Kelly, 1989 FA Cup tie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
stfc831968

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:33 pm 
Post subject:

Very sad news; i saw Jon play for Swindon many times in the 80's; formed a good partnership at the back with Colin Calderwood.

55 is a very young age; rest in peace Jon.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: