Football Programmes Centre

Unethical?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Unethical?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:17 pm 
Post subject: Unethical?

I listed a programme on ebay the other day there was one watcher, I removed it today because I had the chance to sell it elsewhere, I wouldn't have took it down if there was a bid, any thoughts on this?
dangerman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:28 pm 
Post subject:

i had the same but someone asked to buy an item at a price and I took it as the player who played for a club does not sell that well
stevemcd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:29 pm 
Post subject:

I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

If I really want something I'll bid early so the buyer knows there's a potential sale.

As you had no bids i don't see it as an issue.

Others may disagree Smile

Steve McD
Magpie 67

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:37 pm 
Post subject:

I can't see the problem really.Some of the watchers are playing the game ie waiting until the last minute see no bidders then get an absolute bargain at a silly price
Karb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:29 pm 
Post subject:

I agree with Magpie, apart from describing something as a 'silly price'. Sometimes you get lucky with the price, sometimes you are disappointed. Depends on the amount of interest.

As something of a novice collector, I've paid over the odds for stuff, thinking it was rarer than it was. I daresay many of us did similar when we were new to collecting.

Now, I'll often just watch something to see how it fares. I have something like 60 items on my watch list at the moment, but only one or two live bids. Some of them I have no intention of bidding on, either because they are out of my price range, I'm waiting for something in better condition, or because I have absolutely no idea what it's worth. But I'm still interested in seeing if anyone else is paying the sorts of prices being asked, as it will help my knowledge for when similar items come up in the future.

Some, I'll only want if I can combine postage costs from the same seller. I have a couple on my list now, where the asking price is £3 plus £2 postage. If I can get both for a combined price of £8, it's at the top end of my price range, but I'll pay it. But at a fiver each, I'd leave them, as I reckon I can probably find them cheaper elsewhere if I'm patient. So I'll hold fire to the last minute to reduce the risk of being outbid on one, and being lumbered with paying more than I want to for the other.

Obviously there are risks with doing this, and one of them being that it may be withdrawn from sale. That's the chance you take if you don't bid. I don't see anything unethical in that.
Eck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:34 pm 
Post subject:

Cheers for the feedback.
tackler7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:42 pm 
Post subject:

Playing the devils advocate, How you would like it if a buyer had agreed to buy something then they found it at a cheaper price elsewhere and wouldn't pay for the item?
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:57 pm 
Post subject:

What's the problem ? You had no bidders. Watchers mean nothing. Most watchers are just checking to see if it sells and for what price.
The second question . If a bidder has won an item he should pay full stop. But I fear there is not a lot you can do about if he doesn't , other than report him and leave negative.
Eck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:15 pm 
Post subject:

I have a policy that if anyone changes their mind about buying, i'm fine with it. I don't like winning an auction and the seller changes his mind though.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:27 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
The second question . If a bidder has won an item he should pay full stop. But I fear there is not a lot you can do about if he doesn't , other than report him and leave negative.

Unfortunately you can't leave negative feedback for a buyer. One of the many inconsistencies between buyer and seller.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:16 pm 
Post subject:

I watch loads of stuff I don't want,but am generally interested in to see what it goes for - but watching it just makes it easier to see the final price at a later date
dangerman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:19 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
I watch loads of stuff I don't want,but am generally interested in to see what it goes for - but watching it just makes it easier to see the final price at a later date

but not if it's a BIN with a best offer
MATT RUSH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:27 am 
Post subject:

Eck the facility is there so it must be ok to use it. Nod Nod Nod
edster1972

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:39 am 
Post subject:

I've been reading this forum a long time ano thought I would post my views on co.uk and wondered what other people thought.

I'm not one for negative feedback and "driving people mad" but one person drove me mad.

To cut a very long story short, my brother bought a programme on my account. Got a cracking deal as a BIN. Didn't get his text about this until after work.
When I logged on to ebay the seller and had sent two messages saying "item Packed and ready to send", then 8mins later cancelled the transaction and hasn't replied to my messages ever since. So within 5 hours he had cancelled the auction and won't even converse.

Not sure what he is thinking... Is this the type of behaviour we should expect from people nowadays? Quite shocked as he has 100% feedback.

I don't want to think that he sold it too cheap and got a better offer and is now ignoring me. There are always two and sometimes three sides to a story but this is something which is becoming more prevalent when dealing with people today.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:22 pm 
Post subject:

Edster, someone will have told him it was a give away price end he is backing out of the deal, it happens now and again, all i can suggest is avoid the seller in the future, im curious who it was please pm me.

Excuses for this which myself and others have been given are i noticed a page missing, or the dog has eaten it. One of the problems of ebay.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: