Football Programmes Centre

New Member Manchester United Fan
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New Member Manchester United Fan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markb9060

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:14 am 
Post subject: New Member Manchester United Fan

Hi everyone,

Since 2006 I`ve been building up a collection mainly of Manchester United related programmes (including England) ticket stubs, newspapers and books etc.

I also have a keen interest in supporter owned FC United of Manchester having purchased Community Shares which will soon hopefully contribute towards the costs of building our own stadium. I have a sizeable collection of their first season programmes etc.

Some fellow programme collectors will recognise my profile from Ebay. Apologies to anyone who had me as a `friend` on Facebook or Netlog but I`ve packed these sites in mainly through boredom. So Leslie (manchesterunitedman1) if you`re reading apologies to you as well and thanks again for allowing me to view your magnificent collection a couple of years ago.

I`m always trying to broaden my knowledge of United programmes and therefore hope to gain this through the forum but also offer my own limited advice based on my own research and collection.

Being born in 1958, I have always felt a connection to the Busby Babes and they have always been my main interest in the collection.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markb9060/sets

Last edited by markb9060 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
PABLO76

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:40 am 
Post subject:

Welcome Mark, nice to see a fellow Utd collector on board. You will find an absolute wealth of knowledge about pretty much everything on here, especially Man Utd.

You're obviously aware of the enormity of Leslie's collection, there are a few others on here with sizeable collections, and the information gained from some people can be invaluable.

Any questions on anything Utd, I and others are always willing to help.

Paul.
nozer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:37 am 
Post subject: Man Utd collector.

Big welcome from me also,...did you get a prog from the F.A. Cup defeat at Liverpool yesterday ?.
markb9060

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:24 am 
Post subject: Re: Man Utd collector.

nozer wrote:
Big welcome from me also,...did you get a prog from the F.A. Cup defeat at Liverpool yesterday ?.

Hi nozer.....I`ll take that as a joke. On a serious note, I don`t tend to buy the latest programmes just for the sake of it but concentrate more on the oldies.

Occasionally, I will snap a few up ie last year`s FA Youth Cup run. Still haven`t found a copy of the Liverpool away game which witnessed one of the greatest ever performances by a United Youth team.

Did the officials destroy everyone`s copies on leaving the ground? ha ha.
markb9060

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:36 am 
Post subject:

PABLO76 wrote:
Welcome Mark, nice to see a fellow Utd collector on board. You will find an absolute wealth of knowledge about pretty much everything on here, especially Man Utd.

You're obviously aware of the enormity of Leslie's collection, there are a few others on here with sizeable collections, and the information gained from some people can be invaluable.

Any questions on anything Utd, I and others are always willing to help.

Paul.

Thanks for that Paul, I`m looking forward to joining in discussions regarding anything `United` I do have one or two unusual and rare items myself which other members may find of interest at a later date.
Cheers, Mark
Catcon55

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:29 pm 
Post subject:

Welcome Mark!

I'm only new on this site myself but so far it has been really enjoyable,
The people I've had dealings with couldn't have been more helpful and I'm sure it will be the same for you.
markb9060

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 pm 
Post subject:

Catcon55 wrote:
Welcome Mark!

I'm only new on this site myself but so far it has been really enjoyable,
The people I've had dealings with couldn't have been more helpful and I'm sure it will be the same for you.

Thanks Catcon55, Looking forward to being an active member and first impressions of the site are very positive.
WileBrownAstle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:15 pm 
Post subject:

Welcome to the forum mate.
treble99

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:50 pm 
Post subject:

Welcome to the forum.
if i can be of any help let me know.
i believe i have the largest private collection of Manchester United items in the world.
I am loading it onto flickr at the moment( or i will when i get the bloody scanner fixed.)
there is still plenty already loaded to look at going back to the 1880's

www.flickr.com/photos/63580000@N04/sets

The worlds largest private Manchester United collection coming to a computer near you
PABLO76

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

Well we've all heard it plenty of times, and the arguments for and against it are legendary, I for one would love to see some figures/numbers treble 99!
PABLO76

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:08 am 
Post subject: Re: Man Utd collector.

markb9060 wrote:
nozer wrote:

Hi nozer.....I`ll take that as a joke. On a serious note, I don`t tend to buy the latest programmes just for the sake of it but concentrate more on the oldies.

Occasionally, I will snap a few up ie last year`s FA Youth Cup run. Still haven`t found a copy of the Liverpool away game which witnessed one of the greatest ever performances by a United Youth team.

Did the officials destroy everyone`s copies on leaving the ground? ha ha.

Oh and on this Mark, it popped up on Ebay a little while back at £20 Buy it now, not sure if it sold though. I bid £21 on one last year which eventually sold for £41, got offered a second chance and took it, wasnt sure about it at the time, but glad I did because I've only see 2 since.
treble99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:34 am 
Post subject:

figures/numbers on what Pablo?
all i can do is collect what i can.
i take the time and trouble to make it available to other collectors.
this is only a hobby and i enjoy it very much.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:58 am 
Post subject: Re: New Member Manchester United Fan

markb9060 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Since 2006 I`ve been building up a collection mainly of Manchester United related programmes (including England) ticket stubs, newspapers and books etc.

I also have a keen interest in supporter owned FC United of Manchester having purchased Community Shares which will soon hopefully contribute towards the costs of building our own stadium. I have a sizeable collection of their first season programmes etc.

Some fellow programme collectors will recognise my profile from Ebay. Apologies to anyone who had me as a `friend` on Facebook or Netlog but I`ve packed these sites in mainly through boredom. So Leslie (manchesterunitedman1) if you`re reading apologies to you as well and thanks again for allowing me to view your magnificent collection a couple of years ago.

I`m always trying to broaden my knowledge of United programmes and therefore hope to gain this through the forum but also offer my own limited advice based on my own research and collection.

Being born in 1958, I have always felt a connection to the Busby Babes and they have always been my main interest in the collection.

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum you will be able to meet up with a few old friends and hopefully meet new people who can share information. This has got to be the best site of all as we are all collectors and most of the chat is about what we are all into[paperwise!]. Thanks for the kind words, added a few odds and ends since then!. Regards Leslie
visit me at www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets if you want to view all the catergories at once, or www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/
if you want to trawl the pages one at a time. Added over 200 new images this year so far and to date the site has had 560,000 views so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
PABLO76

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:28 pm 
Post subject:

treble99 wrote:
figures/numbers on what Pablo?
all i can do is collect what i can.
i take the time and trouble to make it available to other collectors.
this is only a hobby and i enjoy it very much.

Figures on how big the largest private collection of Manchester United memorabilia in the world is, treble99.

How big is it?
PABLO76

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:29 pm 
Post subject:

treble99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:53 am 
Post subject:

Interesting question that Pablo.
I never thought about it precisely before.
I presume you are looking to eventually aim your own collection at something.
This is a rough estimate
In terms of first team programmes i have every home and away league game in the league,fa cup,wothington cup,european cup and minor trophy etc played back to the war.
This part of my collection is matched by several other collectors.

I have most of all the friendly matches played back to the war.
i am still missing a couple of the elusive ones from the tours to the USA and another odd one here and there but mostly complete.

I have all but 2 of the rare postponed games.
Most of the above can be matched or closely matched by other collectors.

What makes my collection the largest is the pre war collection.
i have over 500 pre war programmes which is significantly more than anybody else.
it has taken me 40 years to accumulate

i have a large number of reserve home programmes from 1957/58 to date.
i don't collect aways and i don't collect earlier than Munich season.
i need about 20 to complete this part of my collection.I need these from the elusive 1972/73 to 1982/83 seasons when the first team were crap and the reserves were worse
I can state that this is not the largest collection of reserves about.
I am aware of several others with better collections who collect earlier games than i prefer to collect.
I have a large collection of Youth cup,Manchester Senior Cup games,Lancashire Senior Cup games and friendly games back to the war.
There is nobody complete in this section of their programme collection and i believe my collection rivals most.

Away from programmes and onto ephemera
I collect menus(i have the second largest collection of these both signed and unsigned).
You cannot beat Manchesterunitedman1's collection here.
I have players medals such as Busby babes championship medals and FA Cup medals.
i have charity shield medals/placques and other assorted medals from minor tournaments
I have about 50 game worn shirts.
I have players gifts and executive gifts.
I have celebration champagne straight off the pitch
I have trophies and pennants that were exchanged before the games
I have original players contracts back to and including people who died on the plane
i have collections of oersonal items from players such as George Best(the letter his father wrote to the News of the World jumps out)-you see it on ebay all the time as it was used in a book.i have the original.
I have letters from Tommy Taylor and Duncan Edwards.
I have an assortment of badges
i have season tickets that date back to the early 1900's
i have bound volumes of programmes that were bound specifically by the printers of the programmes as gifts for contributors to the game magazine.
i have postcards
i have lots of original photos back to the 1920's.Some of these are on flickr.
i have original team sheets
i have financial accounts going back to pre war
i have fixture lists from the early 1900's
i have magazines and newspapers but not too many as i personally find them difficult to store
I have the prized item of the Newton Heath bazaar programme of which only 2 or 3 exist.
I have listed the above by spinning round in my chair and seeing what jumps out at me.
I am sure i have missed somethings but i think<pablo,it gives you the answer to your question.
I don't have the largest collection in every direction but as an overall collection i proudly state
"the largest private Manchester United collection in the world"
markb9060

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:42 pm 
Post subject:

treble99 wrote:
Welcome to the forum.
if i can be of any help let me know.
i believe i have the largest private collection of Manchester United items in the world.
I am loading it onto flickr at the moment( or i will when i get the bloody scanner fixed.)
there is still plenty already loaded to look at going back to the 1880's

www.flickr.com/photos/63580000@N04/sets

The worlds largest private Manchester United collection coming to a computer near you

Hi, Just found your post. Thanks for the info about your collection. I recognise you from Ebay. When I get a spare moment I`ll check out your Flickr pages. My collection is starting to take shape but as you are aware it takes time to sort things out. Personally, I try to find bargains (with repeats) rather than forming a strict chronilogical collection with a view to selling up one day so it`s also an investment.

Obviously, a more realistic investment would be to buy gold or invest in high return savings accounts etc but I`m afraid I invest (foolishly or not) large chunks of my income in funding my `need` (addiction?) for Manchester United memorabilia !

There is definitey a `buzz`gained by owning a collection and only another collector would understand the pleasure of owning these paper (and other) treasures.
markb9060

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:57 pm 
Post subject: Re: New Member Manchester United Fan

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
markb9060 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum you will be able to meet up with a few old friends and hopefully meet new people who can share information. This has got to be the best site of all as we are all collectors and most of the chat is about what we are all into[paperwise!]. Thanks for the kind words, added a few odds and ends since then!. Regards Leslie
visit me at www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets if you want to view all the catergories at once, or www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/
if you want to trawl the pages one at a time. Added over 200 new images this year so far and to date the site has had 560,000 views so far.

Hi Leslie,

Just found your message. Hope you are well. I`ll check out your additions to the Flickr site although I do look at them occasionally. I also purchased a copy of the auction of Man United memorabilia at Old Trafford from 2000. I remember you once told me that you sold your collection once so I presume this is when it happened as it featured your collection. I also remember you saying that you got it back again (I bet Treble99 got some of it ! ) Anyway, a very interesting catalogue it is and I occasionally use it as a vague valuation guide.

Cheers, Mark
markb9060

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:44 am 
Post subject:

treble99 wrote:
Interesting question that Pablo.
I never thought about it precisely before.
I presume you are looking to eventually aim your own collection at something.
This is a rough estimate
In terms of first team programmes i have every home and away league game in the league,fa cup,wothington cup,european cup and minor trophy etc played back to the war.
This part of my collection is matched by several other collectors.

I have most of all the friendly matches played back to the war.
i am still missing a couple of the elusive ones from the tours to the USA and another odd one here and there but mostly complete.

I have all but 2 of the rare postponed games.
Most of the above can be matched or closely matched by other collectors.

What makes my collection the largest is the pre war collection.
i have over 500 pre war programmes which is significantly more than anybody else.
it has taken me 40 years to accumulate

i have a large number of reserve home programmes from 1957/58 to date.
i don't collect aways and i don't collect earlier than Munich season.
i need about 20 to complete this part of my collection.I need these from the elusive 1972/73 to 1982/83 seasons when the first team were crap and the reserves were worse
I can state that this is not the largest collection of reserves about.
I am aware of several others with better collections who collect earlier games than i prefer to collect.
I have a large collection of Youth cup,Manchester Senior Cup games,Lancashire Senior Cup games and friendly games back to the war.
There is nobody complete in this section of their programme collection and i believe my collection rivals most.

Away from programmes and onto ephemera
I collect menus(i have the second largest collection of these both signed and unsigned).
You cannot beat Manchesterunitedman1's collection here.
I have players medals such as Busby babes championship medals and FA Cup medals.
i have charity shield medals/placques and other assorted medals from minor tournaments
I have about 50 game worn shirts.
I have players gifts and executive gifts.
I have celebration champagne straight off the pitch
I have trophies and pennants that were exchanged before the games
I have original players contracts back to and including people who died on the plane
i have collections of oersonal items from players such as George Best(the letter his father wrote to the News of the World jumps out)-you see it on ebay all the time as it was used in a book.i have the original.
I have letters from Tommy Taylor and Duncan Edwards.
I have an assortment of badges
i have season tickets that date back to the early 1900's
i have bound volumes of programmes that were bound specifically by the printers of the programmes as gifts for contributors to the game magazine.
i have postcards
i have lots of original photos back to the 1920's.Some of these are on flickr.
i have original team sheets
i have financial accounts going back to pre war
i have fixture lists from the early 1900's
i have magazines and newspapers but not too many as i personally find them difficult to store
I have the prized item of the Newton Heath bazaar programme of which only 2 or 3 exist.
I have listed the above by spinning round in my chair and seeing what jumps out at me.
I am sure i have missed somethings but i think<pablo,it gives you the answer to your question.
I don't have the largest collection in every direction but as an overall collection i proudly state
"the largest private Manchester United collection in the world"

Wow Treble99....How do I follow that ? ....I can`t !!

My collection is a mixture of Manchester United programmes, newspaper related items, books, mirrors, rosettes, penants etc.

I also have FC United 1st season programmes including some rare short print pre-season friendlies which hopefully will become sort after in about 10 years time.

I have a collection of England programmes which the `Busby Babes` were involved with (including some tickets) and also have later ones including the World Cup Final. I also have Scotland programmes signed by Denis Law (through a family member)

I also have a collection of Horse racing memorabilia but is still a bit too new to become sort after yet.

Most of my collection is fairly run of the mill stuff ie all the 1957/58 season `homes`all with tokens plus loads of reserves some scruffy but a couple with tokens. I think I`m only missing the Newcastle, Everton, and Leeds league `aways`but only have the Shamrock Rovers programme from the Euro `aways`and don`t have anything to do with the Workington game.

I think my earliest United programme is 1946/47 season and I have a few from 1947/48 and I`m trying to build up a few more seasons but certainly can`t match your 500+ pre-wars !

Otherwise, I have a couple of Estudiantes penants, a Gornik Zabrze one from 1968 plus a Real Madrid one supposidly from the away leg in the same year (but isn`t marked as such) and a couple of United and Benfica rosettes bought from outside Wembley which I presume will grow in value.

My newspaper collection is fairly substantial and I have a few A3 binders of these. I have the Manchester Evening News `Final` from Feb 6th and quite a few others relating to the disaster. Also, I have a few pre football `pink` Finals from the 1940`s plus later `Greens` etc.

However if I do have one holy grail...it has to be a leather bound volume of Manchester Evening Chronicles `Outside Districts` which includes nearly a hundred newspapers (many in near mint condition) dated February 1st to 8th 1958. This collection includes 15 editions from the afternoon of February 6th and I think (without having to check) that about four of these break the story of the disaster with the Swinton/Eccles edition printing a full picture of the `Busby Babes` on the back cover.

I was lucky enough to find this on Ebay and snapped it up for about £60 on Ebay 4 years ago. I actually forked out £20 on Special Delivery so concerned I was to somehow lose it ! The previous owner had bought loads of these volumes from the Manchester Evening News warehouse library.

I have since done research and have no reason to doubt that this is a very rare volume...probably the only one in the world unless there was a `city centre`collection kept. What`s more astounding is that the Manchester Evening News (who bought out the Chronicle) have failed to microfilm the `Late Extra` edition which broke one of the most important sporting stories of the 20th century. There are earlier editions which talk about the Manchester United plane having "engine problems"...(discussion perhaps for another day) so my bound leather volume is possibly the only remaining account left, in any meaningful collection, anywhere. Also, I worked out that the Chronicle perhaps broke the story earlier than the Manchester Evening News going from details in the `Stop Press` and other factors. Strange that the M.E.N library should have microfilmed the story in their paper but forgot to microfilm the correct edition of the Chronicle...a newspaper that they historically always perceived as a rival until they bought it out and effectively ended it

Incidentally, this collection also covers the Arsenal game on the Saturday and all the tribute editions after the disaster....it takes pride of place on my display. My plan is to put it up for auction on the 75th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster....so not long to wait !

In the future, I hope to sneakily find some mint condition original Newton Heath teamsheets (signed by all) which have been very poorly advertised on ebay and somehow beat you, manchesterunitedman1 and Pablo to them (and then I woke up !! )

Cheers, Mark
markb9060

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:44 am 
Post subject:

PABLO76 wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liverpool-V-Manchester-United-2010-2011-Youth-Cup-Team-Sheet-RARE-/260951899254?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_Football_Programmes_ET&hash=item3cc1f1fc76

Here you go Mark.

Thanks for that. I just presumed that there hadn`t been a programme printed. Very confusing because the Kop was packed that day so why was there a short print (if that was the case) so I didn`t bother even looking but in any case my spending limits have been reached now until later in the year so I could miss one for 99p !

Thanks for the info anyway, Mark.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: