Football Programmes Centre

Hello from a Yeovil collector
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hello from a Yeovil collector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MCC Glover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:48 pm 
Post subject: Hello from a Yeovil collector

Hi all... Wave

Just joined the forum tonight and, as the name suggests, I'm a Yeovil Town fan and I've been following the club for more than forty years. All four of my children are Glovers fans, the youngest two still come home and most away matches with me.

My programme collection is priceless to me as it was given to me by a dear friend who took the time and trouble to take me to Yeovil matches as a youngster. Like so many Yeovil fans who grew up watching us in non-league, he sadly passed away before we reached the Football League. Sad

Anyhow, I was given around 500 YTFC programmes today which go with the c.900 programmes I already have so the next few weeks/months/years will be spent gradually cataloguing them. Around a year ago, I worked out that I had about 55% of all Yeovil home games since I was born, hopefully that will go up a bit.

Right, off to look around the forum now. Clap
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:14 am 
Post subject: Re: Hello from a Yeovil collector

MCC Glover wrote:
Hi all... Wave

Just joined the forum tonight and, as the name suggests, I'm a Yeovil Town fan and I've been following the club for more than forty years. All four of my children are Glovers fans, the youngest two still come home and most away matches with me.

My programme collection is priceless to me as it was given to me by a dear friend who took the time and trouble to take me to Yeovil matches as a youngster. Like so many Yeovil fans who grew up watching us in non-league, he sadly passed away before we reached the Football League. Sad

Anyhow, I was given around 500 YTFC programmes today which go with the c.900 programmes I already have so the next few weeks/months/years will be spent gradually cataloguing them. Around a year ago, I worked out that I had about 55% of all Yeovil home games since I was born, hopefully that will go up a bit.

Right, off to look around the forum now. Clap

Welcome to the Forum!

You may just find this item interesting............
MU-12030001
MU-12040001
Leslie Millman-manchesterunitedman1
www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
MCC Glover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:26 am 
Post subject:

Aww thanks, that's wonderful to see that, not seen it before.. Clap

Bit of a story that might bore you but here goes. Three years ago, the club were planning on organising a 60th anniversary match against Sunderland who we beat 2-1 in the 4th round that year. We decided to try to find the only surviving player from that game, Dickie Dyke, whose autograph is near the bottom (his real name was Victor) but he was tricky to find.

Eventually found him living alone near Southampton and went down to see him at his little flat. Spent two hours with him and he lent us his scrapbooks so we could scan them. A lovely guy with a great story, I interviewed him and wrote a 4,500 word piece on him and the game. Said goodbye and wished him well, promising him we'd return his books.

Sadly we never did. He died of kidney failure six days later at the age of 83, the last of the eleven to pass away. So very, very sad but in a good way, glad we got his story from him to be kept forever.
WileBrownAstle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:43 am 
Post subject:

Welcome to the forum mate.
nozer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:19 am 
Post subject: Yovil.

Welcome to the site from me also,Do you think you can help me with this ,looking fore Yeovil v Kettering 11/5/77 ,one of several Kettering AWAYs i am still after for 76/77 season.Noz.
ForestPaul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:44 am 
Post subject:

MCC Glover wrote:

Bit of a story that might bore you but here goes. Three years ago, the club were planning on organising a 60th anniversary match against Sunderland who we beat 2-1 in the 4th round that year. We decided to try to find the only surviving player from that game, Dickie Dyke, whose autograph is near the bottom (his real name was Victor) but he was tricky to find.

Eventually found him living alone near Southampton and went down to see him at his little flat. Spent two hours with him and he lent us his scrapbooks so we could scan them. A lovely guy with a great story, I interviewed him and wrote a 4,500 word piece on him and the game. Said goodbye and wished him well, promising him we'd return his books.

Sadly we never did. He died of kidney failure six days later at the age of 83, the last of the eleven to pass away. So very, very sad but in a good way, glad we got his story from him to be kept forever.

Great story and its as if he was waiting for you to find him so he could tell it his way, where can i find your article to have a read
trentendprogrammes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:58 am 
Post subject:

Yeovil Town v Bexley 11/1/64 - Southern League

Yeovil Town v Glastonbury 13/1/62 - Somerset Professional Cup

Any buyers out there?
MCC Glover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:59 pm 
Post subject:

ForestPaul wrote:
MCC Glover wrote:

Great story and its as if he was waiting for you to find him so he could tell it his way, where can i find your article to have a read

I'm kind of in the middle of swapping websites at present but you can read the article by following the link below...

http://macthehack.webs.com/thebiginterview.htm
MCC Glover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:11 pm 
Post subject: Re: Yovil.

nozer wrote:
Welcome to the site from me also,Do you think you can help me with this ,looking fore Yeovil v Kettering 11/5/77 ,one of several Kettering AWAYs i am still after for 76/77 season.Noz.

I'll have a look for you, mate, just sorting them out at the moment. Give me a couple of weeks (ish) and I'll have an answer.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: