Football Programmes Centre

24 Years Ago Today
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
24 Years Ago Today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mancitymark

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:55 pm 
Post subject: 24 Years Ago Today

56 innocent football fans lost there lives in the Bradford fire.

RIP

Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:15 pm 
Post subject:

RIP to the 56.

Why wasn't anything more made of this in today's papers?
rokerprogz

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:05 pm 
Post subject:

Barrett wrote:
RIP to the 56.

Without sounding too cynical .... because it was "only" Bradford.

I genuinely don't want to belittle the efforts made for the Hillsbrough memorial, but I can't help but think that there would have been more of a national effort to remember these 56 poor souls had this tragedy happened at a bigger or 'more fashionable' team.

My frustration with this is aimed solely at the press.

I'm sure that any football fan that attended matches pre early / mid 90's will have found themselves at some point in a hugely overcrowded terrace, poorly managed by police / stewards .... and in stands that in hindsight were clearly deathtraps. We've all been there and that could have been any of us. I think it's terrible that there hasn't been more done to remember those that perished at Bradford.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:10 pm 
Post subject:

rokerprogz wrote:
Barrett wrote:
RIP to the 56.

I genuinely don't want to belittle the efforts made for the Hillsbrough memorial, but I can't help but think that there would have been more of a national effort to remember these 56 poor souls had this tragedy happened at a bigger or 'more fashionable' team.

I'm sure that any football fan that attended matches pre early / mid 90's will have found themselves at some point in a hugely overcrowded terrace, poorly managed by police / stewards .... and in stands that in hindsight were clearly deathtraps. We've all been there and that could have been any of us. I think it's terrible that there hasn't been more done to remember those that perished at Bradford.

Was going to try to say the same but then saw what you had written
I simply could not have put it better so can only add. Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy WELL SAID.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
ForestMick

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:45 pm 
Post subject:

Rokerprogz, you hit the nail on the head mate. But also, what about the victims of the Heysel tragedy? That was a big club, and although, not in this country, involved a team from this country.

Out of respect for both sets of fans involved in both of those tragedies, we should have ceremonies along the lines of Hillsborough.

If either of my sons died at Heysel or Bradford, I would be absolutely sickened by the lack of respect this shows the victims and their families.
stodin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:24 pm 
Post subject:

rokerprogz wrote:
Barrett wrote:
RIP to the 56.

Well said, I touched on this subject in the Hillsborough thread but bit my lip somewhat.

We should remember all innocent fans who have died at football grounds
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: