Football Programmes Centre

Staples?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Staples?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dellboye

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:18 pm 
Post subject: Staples?

I was just wondering whether removing the staples from an old programme detracts from the value. If it does detract how much by?
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:45 pm 
Post subject: Rusty Staples.

Think it best to leave well enough alone myself,although thay are unsightly, at the moment i would love a Newcastle v Portsmouth 57/58 rusty staples or not,devalues a prog yes i do think so.by at least 1/4 but hard to find progs from early 50 without.
Dellboye

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:09 pm 
Post subject:

Do you think the value lost by taking out out the staples is more or less the value lost by a programme damaged by rust
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:24 pm 
Post subject: Rusty Staples.

Yes,a number of my mid 50s progs do have rusty staples some i have removed some have fallen out themselves,but i personaly would still pay top money for a prog if it was one i needed to finalise my collection rusty staples or not.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:58 am 
Post subject: staples

Please see an earlier posting by myslef in "how do you store your programmes" Don't take staples out of programmes where there's no need to do so. If they have alrready started to deteriorate it's a personal choice, if they're badly rusted I always remove as the rate of paper burning will only increase otherwise.
Staples rust due to atmospheric conditions, the same as any metals exposed to damp. Keeping programmes in an atmosphere away from such exposure should enable them to remain rust free. The non acidic plastic bags will provide that environment.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:11 am 
Post subject:

The programme is still an original though, isn't it?

I would imagine no staple is better than a rusting one, and probably preferred to a new one. If you store the item well, probably inside a good quality plastic sheet (solid 3/4 sealed rather than wrap around) I would think this is a good start. It's not as though you have a need to remove it from there too often and, in any event, you won't be planning to sell it!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: