Football Programmes Centre

Your clubs rare programmes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Your clubs rare programmes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happy_hammer66

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:17 pm 
Post subject: Your clubs rare programmes

What is the rarest programme that involves your club? My club is West Ham and I believe that 2 rare programmes that involve West Ham are:

Darlington v West Ham 1960/61 League Cup
Cardiff City v West Ham 1965/66 League Cup Semi-Final
Darlington v WHU (LGE Cup) 24/10/1960
Cardiff City v WHU(LGE Cup Semi) 02/02/1966
WHU v Sunderland 13/01/1968
WHU v Manchester United (FA Cup 5th Rd) 15/02/1986
WHU Reserves v Portsmouth 05/12/1995
Hartlepool United v Darlington (Division 3 Play Off Semi-Final) 13/05/2000
Darlington v Leyton Orient 03/05/2003
Swansea v Luton (LDV Vans Trophy) 28/09/2004
PABLO76

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:32 pm 
Post subject:

Ask Manchesterunitedman1 and treble99, they know! Wink
1980Cossie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:45 pm 
Post subject:

I'd say for my club Halifax the rarest post 1960 programmes are:

1964/65 Halifax Town v Hartlepools postponed 6th March 1965 (only 1 known to exist - thankfully in my Halifax collection)

1989/90 Halifax Town v Hartlepools - Only 1 programme exists. A mix up at the printers meant the programme could not be produced in time for the match so the club instead produced a single sheet. The printer had however produced 1 proof copy of the full match programme and this was passed on to the then club chairman.
matt blue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:05 pm 
Post subject:

Most of the early to mid 50s away welsh cup programmes, west ham at home lc semi isnt to bad to get
treble99

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:01 am 
Post subject:

PABLO76 asks and i do my best to oblige.
my flickr site is still in its infancy and i am on a new years resolution to add 5 items a day.i have no idea how long this idea will last.
i have added 10 rare Manchester United items over the last 2 days.
Please feel free to look at www.flickr.com/photos/63580000@N04/sets/
dj0505

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:10 pm 
Post subject: Re: Your clubs rare programmes

happy_hammer66 wrote:
What is the rarest programme that involves your club? My club is West Ham and I believe that 2 rare programmes that involve West Ham are:

Darlington v West Ham 1960/61 League Cup
Cardiff City v West Ham 1965/66 League Cup Semi-Final

The Crdiff one isnt rare,just flippin expensive !!
nozer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:39 pm 
Post subject: rare progs.

It was only pointed out to me since i joined this great site that the Wolves away fixture v Derry County (Texico Cup) 1/12/70 is the rarest prog in my own personal collection and has sold at between £250 & £350 on a good day ......Lucky me ?.
foxes1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:17 pm 
Post subject:

Whilst fairly recent one of the rarest / hardest Leicester City progs to get hold of is our UEFA Cup game played against Red Star Belgrade in Vienna. It was only available in the 'HOME END' but I still have a copy of it
MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:58 pm 
Post subject:

Don't know what's the rarest Huddersfield Town programme (unless you go to pre-war) but certainly one of the hardest to get hold of is the Charlton v Huddersfield game from 1957 - the 7-6 game. There must be loads of them about but they go for very silly prices simply because of the significance of the game. Town are STILL the only team to ever score six in a league game and lose!

By the way - I've got one! I've also got the Man City 10-1 programme too - yes, I am a masochist.

Last edited by MansfieldTerrier on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
speedykev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:17 pm 
Post subject:

MansfieldTerrier - Are the believe t-shirts your fans wore so proudly during the league one play-off final now a collectors item? I guess these are fairly rare amongst Huddersfield fans now as most ended up on the Old Trafford turf after that wonderful 90 minutes.
MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:26 pm 
Post subject:

Naughty, naughty!
They are not as rare as you suggest as only a very few were discarded on the pitch in frustration. I personally have three!
You clearly enjoyed your day - let's hope we have another crack at you next year, provided that you can stay up!

badhand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:32 pm 
Post subject:

Bristol Rovers v Gillingham, FA Cup Second Round, Second Replay at White Hart Lane, 18th December 1950. Attendance 3924. It was played on a Thursday afternoon, and I believe it rained.
First League season for Gillingham. A small crowd, and the programme is of interest to Tottenham collectors.
It does appear on the odd occasion but I always get outbid. Crying or Very sad
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:43 am 
Post subject:

I'm not a 'completist' for Crystal Palace programmes, as I am more interested in Palace badges and cards, but one I do know is quite difficult to obtain is the 1975/76 FA Cup 3rd Round Scarborough v Palace.

Probably loads of "Non league v The League in the FA Cup" collectors have got it, but I know it took me years and years of waiting before I managed to find one. It is certainly the hardest programme to find in Palace's 1976 run to the FA Cup Semi Final (as a 3rd Division team).

In the early 60's, Palace hosted Real Madrid in a friendly to open the floodlights. Palace put the price up for the game, but gave away a free programme for everyone entering the ground. Because they expected a 40,000 crowd, they printed tons of the things! 'Only' 25,000 came because it rained heavily that day so even now they can be obtained very easily for £1-£2. However there was a very thin 'Pirate' programme sold (presumably to unsuspecting punters outside the ground who didn't realise they'd get given a free programme as they went in) and these are very rare indeed - one probably appears once every couple of years and they go for £25+

Other than that, it is quite satisfying to get a copy of the programme when we clinched the 1979 Division 2 Championship against Burnley (11/5/79), as this was also the clubs record attendance (51,801) - the original fixture was postponed, and the game played after the last proper day of the season - whilst I have both editions, the latter is the really good one and a bit harder to find (albeit with ebay it does come up from time to time)

Of course away pre-season friendlies in far away places (particularly abroad) are quite rare, but the 'completists' amongst our collecting fraternity seem to have pretty much all of them. In the late 90's Palace did tour China a couple of times and the programmes for games there are mega, mega rare!
MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:46 am 
Post subject:

I was at that Boro v Palace match - as a Boro fan!

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:25 am 
Post subject:

Not club, but country. These are the more recent Scotland away issues that are hard to find (or will be in the years to come);

Spain 2004, 1988, 1985, 1982, 1975
All five issues are exceptionally hard (2004 slightly less so than the rest but still rare) and you’ll find that most Scotland collectors have these on their wants list, especially 1975 where only two copies are currently known to exist.

Czech Republic 2008
The infamous programme that was a double issue with their match against Lithuania a few days earlier, except they printed details of Latvia in the programme and the Latvian flag, so all copies were withdrawn and supposedly pulped. Some copies escaped and were fetching £200+ soon after the game, but more have started to find their way onto the market and price is now £40/50. Could be a hard one in years to come.

France 2007
The curse of collectors, a VIP only edition. Because of the unexpected Scotland win, it’s a desirable issue even for non collectors to have (you’ll pay £40/50 for a copy). Copies appear quite often but definitely one for the future.

Ukraine 2006
A VIP only issue and although a fair few copies made their way back to largely satisfy demand at the time, they are popping up less and less, so another one for the future (watch out for the umpteen pirates for this game!).

Croatia 2000
Programme only available in VIP sections of the ground in Zagreb and as such is fairly rare (allegedly only 250 copies printed), although copies do pop up now and again and make three figures.

Bosnia 1999
A four page issue that was not widely available, and as such doesn’t appear very often, watch out for copies! Another three figure issue.

Malta 1997
Only around a dozen Scotland fans travelled to this game, so not many copies made their way back. Expect to pay £70-£100

Kirin Cup 1995
Used to fetch £200+, but more copies have surfaced over the last couple of years from Japan, but still expect to have to cough up £80+

Yugoslavia 1989
Like in 2000 only available in VIP sections of the Zagreb stadium and as such exceptionally difficult. Expect to pay well into to three figures if a copy surfaces.

Italy 1988
Italian FA published a newspaper issue with team line-ups that covered the game and it’s not very common. Perugia published their own newspaper covering the game and that is ever harder.

France 1984
It’s not supposed to be a rare one (at least that is what everyone keeps telling me) but I still need it! (anyone got a copy for sale???)

Rarest post war away issues? Probably Portugal 1950 (a newspaper issue I think) and Finland 1954 and 1965 (65 is a single sheet issue and watch out for copies), these would likely fetch four figures. There are plenty of others in the 1946-1975 period which would set you back three figures.
James

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:52 pm 
Post subject:

badhand wrote:
Bristol Rovers v Gillingham, FA Cup Second Round, Second Replay at White Hart Lane, 18th December 1950. Attendance 3924. It was played on a Thursday afternoon, and I believe it rained.
First League season for Gillingham. A small crowd, and the programme is of interest to Tottenham collectors.
It does appear on the odd occasion but I always get outbid. Crying or Very sad

Completely agree with this one, being a Gills and Spurs collector i am after this prog but just cannot afford the prices it goes for.
Pouchypow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:27 pm 
Post subject:

For Stockport, have to be any of the away friendlies against german opposition, I dont even know if any exist? And the brochure for the tour of china in 2004, ive only seen scans of this one. Also any friendlies against Scandinavia teams.
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:48 pm 
Post subject:

For Wolves fans it has to be the home game against Chelsea in 1951-52. When this does come around it generally fetches about £300+.
Another difficult home is the Charity Shield game against West Brom in 1954-55. This generally goes for around the £200 mark.
There's also a couple of postponed home games in the mid/late 70's against Cardiff 76-77 and Manchester City 78-79 which normally retail around the £60/70 mark.
Always on the look-out for those two if anyone has a spare!
GreatBarrWolf
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:19 pm 
Post subject:

Sheffield United

v Wolves 29.1.47 (FA Cup 4th Rd replay)

www.flickr.com/photos/sharrowblade/5756554284/in/set-72157626740762856
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
nozer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:29 pm 
Post subject: rarest progs.

Found one of the rarest progs of my wants list on ebay today Blackburn v Rochdale F.L.C. 21/5/60 bin price of £249 for a single sheet , i have never seen this before and doughted its exsistance, but unfortunatly out of my price range at the mo.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: