Football Programmes Centre

New catalogue.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New catalogue.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:39 pm 
Post subject: New catalogue.

I have been sent a catalogue from MICHAEL HEWITT PROGRAMMES today.

I don't need any myself but if anyone wants it sent on pm me with your email address and I will send it to you. It is in Word format by the way.

Jamie.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:52 pm 
Post subject: M. Hewitt

Could you please send me an email coy?

John
kcs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:13 pm 
Post subject:

I received this through the post, what are peoples general opinion on prices?

I know the debate has been mentioned before, but there is a lot of programmes listed in here at a much higher price than currently going for on eBay. I know dealers have to make a living etc, but i have received this catalogue for a while now and still the same items (e.g. director bound volume, possibly only one in stock etc) are in there at the same price and still there. Surely pricing stuff at current realistic prices (and making a sale) is more value to dealers instead of holding on to them for years hoping to make an expensive sale?

also interesting to see some of the items Mick won on eBay now on sale in his catalogue!!!

Please don't think i am knocking Mick as i have had many good items from him and will always scour his catalogue with envy and even make the odd purchase. Just interested in what people think????

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:14 pm 
Post subject:

Can you forward me a copy please Jamie

Thanks!
matt blue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:25 pm 
Post subject:

and me please [email protected]

ta very much
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:27 pm 
Post subject: Mick Hewitt

Mick's a good guy, and a genuine football fan, even if he is destined to watch Leeds United get relegated into Hades.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying on ebay to put items into a catalogue, as I've argued many times on here before there are two distinct collecting camps. Mick'll know his collector base, what they pay, and what they want. He's also lucky that Leeds are probably one of the biggest collected clubs in the country. He's also one of the few dealers who do a season subscription service to his club. There's very few folk doing that nowadays.

Look at the problems Gillingham fans have had with getting current season aways this year. That will be partly due to the ebay phenomenon whereby everyone thinks they're a dealer. The reality is that they can only provide one programme, not the 100 plus that most collectors would want every game.
Don't knock it. You'll not miss it until it's gone, then you'll just be at the mercy of the Arthur Daleys of the football programme world - quick profit and out. They know nothing about nurturing collectors, and building up a sustainable business from it.

When I and 2 other fans did it at Grimsby in the 1980's and early 90's (RJS Programmes) we built up a loyal band of collectors, who are mainly still collecting. Look at Grimsby prices for older programmes on ebay - they're always baove the norm. Ditto with Leeds. That's becuase the work was done a long while since - and in Mick's case is still going on. Don't knock the prices, if you don't want them, don't buy them.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:08 pm 
Post subject:

mattblue wrote:
and me please [email protected]

ta very much

You have mail

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:10 pm 
Post subject:

Craig wrote:
Can you forward me a copy please Jamie

Thanks!

Can you pm me your email address please Craig?

Cheers Jamie.

craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:15 pm 
Post subject:

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:27 pm 
Post subject:

Craig wrote:
[email protected]

Thumbs Up

You have mail.

matt blue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

cheers matey, a very interesting item on there which looks to be my next purchase Easy
kcs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:50 am 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian,

Really not knocking Mick's business, was trying to make a few points for discussion. Mick does clearly know his customers wants/needs hence myself getting a catalogue.

Regarding eBay buying and catalogue selling brings an interesting insight into how much of a profit margin he chooses to operate on. In some cases not as much people will think.

I myself do use a subscription service (not through Mick mind) and rely heaviliy on this service. eBay playing a part in this, certain 'part-time' dealers (as you mentioned) charging a lot for current season yet subscribers get theirs for cover price. Top Service.

I understand that buying and selling (whether be from eBay or a man in a pub) is how Mick and other dealers put food on the family table and i am honestly not knocking any method. Purely stating some observations.

One thing that I do question, perhaps niavely, is the following question; Is it better to keep a programme on sale at a certain price for a long time in hope of selling it or sell it at a reduced price to receive something for the item? Will be interested on your thoughts Auchinleckian and other users on this forum?

Really didn't mean to upset the apple cart in my previous post Sherlock

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:32 pm 
Post subject: prices

Wasn't having a pop at you over the posting. You raised some interesting points, it's just that sometimes I feel dealers really do not get a good press. Don't get me wrong, some of them don't warrant a good press, but most provide a genuine service, especially to current season collectors - and it's usually this service that affords them the finance to purchase the older and more collectable items.
The modern programme collectors are experiencing problems with getting their full season's quota because dealers are, by and large, not doing this service to any great extent because (a) the profit margin isn't there any more as clubs are reluctant to give discounts, and (b) becuase they can't compete with the folk who might sell one or two programmes each week on ebay.
Consequently there will become a void in the collector's market, and collectors of modern programmes will be complaining eventually that they can't get hold of them any more. Vicious circle as I see it, thank god I don't colelct modern issues!
Should dealers reduce prices in the current circumstances? Where would they stop? I know some dealers who have absolutely outrageous prices for their programmes, and even a 100% reduction would still make them expensive. Others have to make a living. What some collectors don't take into account is that on every programme that legitimately goes through a dealer's books, 20% goes in tax; something needs to be put aside for pension provision and annual holidays.
There are two very distinct markets - at the moment - and I know of a number of dealers doing the same as Mick buying on ebay and selling on. But then again, why wouldn't they? I'm having a stall at the Pudsey Fair in June that Mick runs, and it's a good fair with plenty of folk through the door because as I said in previous posting, he does the work. It's well worth a visit if you've nothing doing, and it's very accessible.
YCFC1922

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:38 pm 
Post subject: Re: prices

Auchinleckian wrote:
Wasn't having a pop at you over the posting. You raised some interesting points, it's just that sometimes I feel dealers really do not get a good press. Don't get me wrong, some of them don't warrant a good press, but most provide a genuine service, especially to current season collectors - and it's usually this service that affords them the finance to purchase the older and more collectable items.
The modern programme collectors are experiencing problems with getting their full season's quota because dealers are, by and large, not doing this service to any great extent because (a) the profit margin isn't there any more as clubs are reluctant to give discounts, and (b) becuase they can't compete with the folk who might sell one or two programmes each week on ebay.
Consequently there will become a void in the collector's market, and collectors of modern programmes will be complaining eventually that they can't get hold of them any more. Vicious circle as I see it, thank god I don't colelct modern issues!
Should dealers reduce prices in the current circumstances? Where would they stop? I know some dealers who have absolutely outrageous prices for their programmes, and even a 100% reduction would still make them expensive. Others have to make a living. What some collectors don't take into account is that on every programme that legitimately goes through a dealer's books, 20% goes in tax; something needs to be put aside for pension provision and annual holidays.
There are two very distinct markets - at the moment - and I know of a number of dealers doing the same as Mick buying on ebay and selling on. But then again, why wouldn't they? I'm having a stall at the Pudsey Fair in June that Mick runs, and it's a good fair with plenty of folk through the door because as I said in previous posting, he does the work. It's well worth a visit if you've nothing doing, and it's very accessible.

Do you know which stallholders will be at the Pudsey fair this year?
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:42 pm 
Post subject: Re: prices

Auchinleckian wrote:
I'm having a stall at the Pudsey Fair in June that Mick runs, and it's a good fair with plenty of folk through the door because as I said in previous posting, he does the work. It's well worth a visit if you've nothing doing, and it's very accessible.

Auchinleckian,

If we were to get some leaflets for the programme forum printed up, would you consider handing these out at the fair so that we can hopefully continue to grow the forum as this is obviously a great benefit to everyone?

Thank you
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:18 pm 
Post subject: pudsey fair

If you let me have them, I'll clear it with Mick, and be quite happy to give them out for you.
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:21 pm 
Post subject:

Bow

Thank you.

Barrett and I are just looking into prices now and designs so we will be in touch. Any graphic designers on here?

Craig
ForestMick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:08 pm 
Post subject:

I can draw stick men with my crayons!!
foxes1

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:39 am 
Post subject:

Regarding prices I have recently sold a Leicester v Leeds friendly on Ebay, which was purchased by Mick Hewitt for a price of £46.00, I was quite happy with the price I got for it. If Mick wants to make a profit on it that is OK by me. Problems a lot of dealers are having is they are buying programmes at high prices so are having to sell them at what I consider higher prices.
Best places these days to get cheap progs are in what I would call bargain bundles where you get boxes of them at relatively cheap prices ie at Auctions / Car Boot sales etc. The bargains are out there if you are prepared to look, I recently bought a job lot of England progs for £40.00 at one auction and 4 weeks later put one of them back into another auction and it fetched £360.00, so make sure if you do buy job lots look through them all there might be a gem in there.

FOXES1
paulo

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:41 pm 
Post subject:

Agree Foxes1 - I brought a bundle of ticket stubs for less than a fiver - the 1st batch I sold went for £77! I reckon I am well through the £120 barrier now and still have over 1/2 to go!!! Laughing
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: