Football Programmes Centre

Giggs
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Giggs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mancitymark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:03 am 
Post subject: Giggs

Forgetting the obvious of where this lad plays his trade and as football supporter, you have to admire Giggs's career in the game. Got to be one of most successful Premiership players of all time who conducts himself so well both on and off the pitch. But you could put that down to his early football education at City Wink

But............... 8 league starts this season = Player Of The Year !!!

What a joke !!!!!!!!!!!!
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 pm 
Post subject:

Giggs getting player of the year is an absolute disgrace!

It just shows that it doesn't matter what you have done throughout the season, it's all down to who you are and what team you play for!

Putting his career achievements aside, what has he done this season. Scored 1 or 2 goals and made a handfull of appearances?

What about the likes of Phil Jagielka who has been a rock in the Everton defence? How he wasnt nominated is beyond me!
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:07 am 
Post subject:

Blame the dumb players - and the press campaign.

Still what can you expect from the media - the same media that airbrushes out some of Wiley's shocking and dreadful officiating at the Everton/City game last Saturday - and no, I'm not complaining about the result the better team on the day won!

He could have send 3-4 City and 1-2 Everton players off in separate occasions but chose to ignore it all, Onuoha, Neville (pushing and shoving - yellow card perhaps right), Elano (straight red offence in my book), Given (no card!!!!!), Cahill and City defender (no cards). He missed 2 fouls in the build up to the 1st goal and an obvious handball by Robinho (saved by Howard) and his officiating was just plain awful. That said we still deserved nothing from the game so it's not a malicious posting mate, well done.
kenred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:59 pm 
Post subject:

Gigg should have received the award years ago,so as he nears the end of a glorious career I dont agree the award is a joke .As for 8 appearances?
,in fact he has turned out 24 times +6 subs in all competitions.Not bad for a 35 year old!
Anyway if he hadnt received it then Vidic should have received the award.
As for inconsistencies in refereeing thats been apparent in Uniteds last two games.Should have had a penalty v EVERTON in FA CUP .and got a dubious one v SPURS.Last season UNITED V PORTSMOUTH In FA CUP a stonewall penalty was denied UNITED.I didnt hear old Harry Redknapp too vociferous about that .That is football .right ,or wrong ,,and until technology is introduced,
dont forget the ref is only human ,and we all make mistakes .
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:22 pm 
Post subject:

kenred wrote:
Gigg should have received the award years ago,so as he nears the end of a glorious career I dont agree the award is a joke .As for 8 appearances?
,in fact he has turned out 24 times +6 subs in all competitions.Not bad for a 35 year old!
Anyway if he hadnt received it then Vidic should have received the award.
As for inconsistencies in refereeing thats been apparent in Uniteds last two games.Should have had a penalty v EVERTON in FA CUP .and got a dubious one v SPURS.Last season UNITED V PORTSMOUTH In FA CUP a stonewall penalty was denied UNITED.I didnt hear old Harry Redknapp too vociferous about that .That is football .right ,or wrong ,,and until technology is introduced,
dont forget the ref is only human ,and we all make mistakes .

Well again - for once Riley got this one right! Hate to seem to appear wearing Blue Tinted Specs but for me Jags planted his foot on the turf well in advance of Danny Welbeck who, depending on your reading of it, found his "outstretched" leg and went down on contact. For my money the contact was caused by DW approaching PJ and going over (I'm not saying here he dived). Just the media go "oh look there's a player down, there's contact, that must be a penalty" whereas they ought to concentrate on the fact that Jagielka planted his foot on the turf (well in advance of the contact) and that he didn't seek to - therefore shouldn't be judged this way - foul on the opponent. All with the benefit of hindsight of course - ditto the comeback pen for MU v Spurs Very Happy

Compare that decision to the 2 Utd got at home v Everton last 2 seasons - Pienaar a silly foot left out against an opponent advancing with full momentum, Arteta something similar. Hard to argue with either decision really.

BTW I still think Riley is a lousy ref and Halsey is easily the best ref around.
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:12 pm 
Post subject:

I really don't understand Man Utd fans thinking at all.

Why does Giggs deserve to win the PFA Player of the Year award this season? I can think of many many players who deserve it more than he does.

Forget what he has done in his career, or whether he deserved it years ago or not. Yearly awards are won based on what you have done in the current season. Not years ago.

Gerrard, Vidic, Van Der Sar, Jagielka, Ashley Young etc have all performed better this season Yet only 3 of those were involved in the voting.

Giggs hasn't been fantastic this season, he hasn't stood out from other people, he hasn't single handedly won or saved lots of games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking away the fact he is a wonderful player and is one of the greatest to have ever graced the Premiership but personally I and 99.9% of football fans who are not Man utd fans can't understand what he has done to deserve the award THIS SEASON.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:51 am 
Post subject:

Players tend to vote for someone from a side likely to win the Prem

It really should be held at the end of the season. A few weeks ago Gerrard was in sparkling form - spits out... but it looks like Utd's to lose now. Taylor's BS about "respecting" the Football Writers' Award is just rubbish - it's not as though they didn't crown Giggs is it?

Like the Manager of the Year awards - also rubbish sometimes... yes Moyes deserved in in 2005 but what about Catterick when Everton won the league by a record margin (then) in 1970 - they gave it to Revie!!! Catterick wasn't a media darling - in fact he hated the media.

If Giggs deserves recognition (and there's no doubt he is a fine player) this season then why not apply the same kind of thinking to the PL team - where are Jagielka, Arteta (remembering the time of the voting as opposed to now), Ireland and many others beside?
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:34 am 
Post subject:

That's very true your last comment Dan!

Is it the players who vote for team of the year?

How the hell has Anelka got into it! And Ferdinand and Vidic as a central pairing? What a joke! Jagielka and Skrtel has been in amazing form this season and have definately pushed both of them all the way.

I bet Alex Ferguson or Rafa Benitez get it this season and for what? They have done this season that they do every year. The money they both spend should mean they are in the top 2 anyway each season.

What about Moyes or O'niell? They have both performed amazingly with limited cash and injuries all season. But yet again the Sky Top 4 get all the plaudits.
kenred

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:24 pm 
Post subject:

It is the players who decide with their votes I believe.
in my opinion ,without Manchester United bias which I am sure I will accused of, Vidic should have received it .However I am still glad Giggs received it.
More important who should in your opinions been PFA player of the Year?
it would be interesting to have a poll on this. Smile
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:24 pm 
Post subject: PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Brad Friedel would be a strong contender for POTY for me. Solid, reliable, unassuming, and exudes confidence.
Manager of the year, without doubt, Roy Hodgson, by a country mile. Won't happen tough.
kcs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:19 pm 
Post subject:

Player of the Year....
Possibly Gerrard, or someone from Everton team such as Jags, Leighton Baines or even Howard.
Think Vidic is certainly a contender, as is in fariness is Giggs!

But for me it would have to be Fabien Delph!!!!

Manager of the Year.....
Agree with John, Roy Hodgson. Top class with limited budget. Harry Redknapp has steadied the ship at white hart lane. plus a certain russian has done well.

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
James

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:35 pm 
Post subject:

Don;t think that Giggs should have won it, players that shoudl have been in the reckoning IMO are Vidic(Man Utd), Young, Laursen (Villa), James(Pompey), Cahill(Everton), Gutieriez(Newcastle),

As for manager of the year, I think Phil Brown of Hull has done a great job, look at the results they had at the start of the season, going to Spurs, Arsenal and Newcatsle and winning, with a team that includes some players who were playing in the 4th tier of english football a few years back, granted they have had a slump but look at what they have done over the season, fantastic job. And his half time rollicking on the pitch against Man City (I think) SUPERB...
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: