Football Programmes Centre

Club Stats... Can you help ??
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Club Stats... Can you help ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowdedhouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:31 am 
Post subject: Club Stats... Can you help ???

Hi everyone,

Still looking to find the home fixture with the highest attendance since 1945 for these 8 football clubs:

Birmingham City,
Bradford City,
Charlton Athletic,
Fulham,
Millwall,
Plymouth Argyle,
Preston North End,
Reading.

We must have some supporters on this forum who follow the above teams and can ask around for me!!

I've emailed all 8 clubs and their supporters clubs but had no replies. Can anyone point me in the direction of a website or books which would contain this info???

PLEASE HELP !! I'll keep asking 'til you do !! Laughing Laughing
coolascustard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:47 pm 
Post subject:

crowdedhouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:32 am 

Cheers Coolascustard.

Thanks for the info but it only gives the all-time record set in 1938 and the modern day all-seater record.

I'm looking for the all-time record since 1945. Any other takers ?? Confused
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:46 am 
Post subject: record crowds

Birmingham vs Burnley Saturday September 7th 1946 (second home game after war, but first on Saturday) 53,000 lost 0-2. Source "Birmingham City a complete record 1875-1989" Breedon Books.
Fulham v Newcastle February 9th 1952 46,000 (drew 1-1) AND v Arsenal March 15th 1952 46,000 (drew 0-0) both sources from "Fulham a complete record 1879-1987" Breedon Books. Fulham rounded up the attendances for all games postwar by the look of it up certainly up to 51-2. Don't know how you're going to get a definitive game for this one!
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:15 am 

If you're including F.A.Cup ties and not just league games, the Birmingham record attendance is surprisingly from the 56-7 season when they played Forest at home in the 1/4 finals on March 6th 1952 (drew 0-0) same source as before. Interestingly, in 54-5 season, their previous highest attendance was also for an FACup tie against Doncaster, 57,800.
If you let me have details of the record corwds that you have I'lls ee if I can help with the relevant programmes.
crowdedhouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:06 am 

Laughing Laughing Great info Auckinleckian Laughing Laughing

Anyone else help with PLYMOUTH, READING, BRADFORD CITY, CHARLTON, MILLWALL or PRESTON ??

6 great clubs, but what fixture attracted the highest attendance they've had for a 'home' game since WWII ?? Wink
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:14 am 

Can't be sure about Reading, but all the others have had Breedon Complete Record books compiled on them. It should be easy enough to get the author's details, either via Amazon or ABE books - just type in Breedon Complete Record Football and you should be able to access them. As the clubs aren't prima donna Premier teams, I would imagine a phone call to them asking if they'd pass on a letter to be passed onto the author should do the trick?
crowdedhouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:48 pm 
Post subject: Club stats...can you help?

Many thanks to Auchinleckin for his recent research on this thread and his PM's full of info, much appreciated mate!

Now, I just need to find the post-war record home attendance for 4 clubs:
Bradford City, Millwall, Preston NE & Reading.

Any help much appreciated whilst I await replies from the relevent clubs. Smile
crowdedhouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:54 pm 

HI EVERYONE !!!

BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO'VE HELPED WITH THIS THREAD - I'VE TRACKED DOWN ALL 92 FOOTBALL LEAGUE CLUBS POST WAR RECORD ATTENDANCES ! YIPPEE ! Laughing Laughing

I can now concentrate on completing my collection of programmes from each one of these games

Thanks again !!!
mancitymark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:23 pm 
Post subject: Re: Club Stats... Can you help ???

crowdedhouse wrote:
HI EVERYONE !!!

BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO'VE HELPED WITH THIS THREAD - I'VE TRACKED DOWN ALL 92 FOOTBALL LEAGUE CLUBS POST WAR RECORD ATTENDANCES ! YIPPEE ! Laughing Laughing

I can now concentrate on completing my collection of programmes from each one of these games

Thanks again !!!

Well done but just a thought here, but some clubs who have new grounds will now have new atttendance records for these grounds Shocked

IE: Maine Road/Eastlands

Hope this helps Wink
crowdedhouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:49 pm 

Yep !

79 of the current 92 League clubs have either relocated or redeveloped their grounds since the Taylor Report so I'm collecting these particular programmes too. This will build a unique collection of programmes which encompass both the all-time Post War record attendance matches and the modern-day all-seater record attendance matches.

Did you know that so far this season (2008/09) 10 clubs have broken their all-seater attendance records ? And 14 clubs broke their records last season?
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:18 am 
Post subject:

Although the official record attendance at Goodison is 78,299 v Liverpool on Sep 18 1948 there is some doubt as to whether more crammed into Goodison on Dec 27 1960 when Burnley played (official attendance 74,867) - the penultimate of 18 70,000 plus crowds at Goodison in the post-war era.
crowdedhouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:05 pm 

Thanks for the info Toffee Dan!

There are many instances at every club where 'official attendance' figures have been over or under stated. One example being Manchester United where 'official' attendances were rounded to the nearest 5 or 0 for many seasons. Also, many testimonial or friendly games have 'unofficial' attendance figures i.e. Chelsea v Moscow friendly or Stoke v Real Madrid centenary match.
I base my collection on the 'official' attendance records of each League club, so for your beloved Toffees I'll go with the 1948 derby match v Liverpool.
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:37 pm 
Post subject:

Don't Man Utd record a new attendance record every year? Laughing
grimsbybarralad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm 
Post subject:

Barrett wrote:
Don't Man Utd record a new attendance record every year? Laughing

Noooooo. Their record is still the Wolves v Mighty Mariners F.A. cup semi-final from 1938/39.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: