Football Programmes Centre

Forest v Man. City FACup single sheet 1973-4
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forest v Man. City FACup single sheet 1973-4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:20 am 
Post subject: Forest v Man. City FACup single sheet 1973-4

When Sunday matches were a novelty, instead of the norm of pandering to Murdoch, there were what's called the Sunday Trading laws. Basically, you couldn't pay to enter a football ground to watch a match. The clubs got around this by charging the admission price for the programme, and you then got into the match for "free"
I have 3 of these programmes for the Forest vs City F A Cup tie on Sunday January 24th 1974. They all have a very light centre fold, but are, nonetheless, quite colelctable. "They're £2 each, plus 50 pence postage, should anybody want one. Payment in stamps please, 4 first class and 3 second class, total £2.46.
mancitymark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:20 pm 
Post subject:

Interesting this one as we did play Forest in the FA Cup that season but the date was Sunday 27th January 1974 - I also have the full match day programme for the game.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:43 pm 
Post subject: city

Mark, I must have hit the wrong button, it is Sunday January 27th as you quite rightly point out. The sheets are light green in colour, with the Forest tree logo in top left hand corner.
What a forward line City had out that day, I doubt it'll ever be bettered
Summerbee, Bell, Marsh, Law, Lee.

Seeing Marsh's name there reminds me of a joke he tells about himself shortly after his transfer from QPR. Apparently he wasn't sticking to Allison's instructions and was turning on the style. He was advised by a team mate that if he didn't to as Allison wanted he'd be pulled off at half time, to which he replied "That'll make a nice change, we only used to get ornages at QPR!
mancitymark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:05 pm 
Post subject:

It was indeed perhaps the best era of forwards at the club, well, certainly better than the over paid, over hyped forwards we had making a so called effort on Thursday night in Germany - Still we got hammered 4-1 at Forest that afternoon.

As for Marsh, caused quite at stir during his time at City, and was reading Joe Corrigan’s autobiography which goes on to say how Marsh and then Manager Tony Book were always at each other, with Marsh turning up for one game in a white T-shirt which just had ‘smile’ written on it, aimed at Book, who Marsh always said was miserable, the following week Book turned up with a similar T-shirt saying ‘Play’ on it !!!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: