Football Programmes Centre

Where you, are you, a member of a Programme Collectors Club?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Where you, are you, a member of a Programme Collectors Club?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithofborstal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:54 pm 
Post subject: Where you, are you, a member of a Programme Collectors Club?

I am researching Programme Collectors Clubs and would love to hear from you.
Programme Collectors Clubs, there were a few, where did they all go?, The first programme club I belonged to was THE WIRRAL PROGRAMME CLUB founded in March 1967 by Ian Runham, I can still remember that Ian lived at 3 Tansley Close, Newton, West Kirby. I believe he was a school teacher and a fan of Crystal Palace although I cannot imagine he made many home games. I was certainly a member in January 1973, aged 15 years, annual membership cost 15p. Club Rule No.1 states ‘On Joining members are entitled to receive the newsletter, to take part in competitions etc. they will also receive 10% discount on all purchases from the club provided adequate postage is sent with all orders’! Even in those days 15 pence did not get you the newsletter, there were various subscription schemes to receive the one sheet, two sided duplicated newsletter, the most exciting was for 40 pence ‘For this you receive at least 10p of programmes and the newsletter for each of the three months’ wrote Ian. The adverts (1/2p a word) included one from the Club Secretary himself ‘Wanted. Non League and Amateur Programmes. Will exchange League at a rate of 1-1. Member No.428 (me!), sent off about 30 Non Lge including a good number of my local side Gravesend & Northfleet, back came a bundle from Ian containing a good number of Everton homes, I guess this was his local team.
Be glad to hear if you belonged or do belong to any British Programme Club, Chelsea Collector, Dutch Proramme Club, Thameside, Lancastria (I know you are out there, Paul!) Scandanavian, Liverpool etc.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

keithofborstal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:22 am 
Post subject: British Programme Club

thanks Jim I remember the BPC and was a member myself unsure though of the years it was active?, any ideas.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:19 am 
Post subject:

I left in 1977, disillusioned that I was effectively paying for a dealer to send me lists of programmes I was barely interested in. I was also peeved that they were pushing the 1977 European Cup Final pirate issue as official. This was despite me alerting them to the 132 page official issue I obtained in the Olympic Stadium.

I was also a member of the Lancashire Programme Club briefly in the years from 1976/1977. I remember them uncovering a couple of very rare LFC European aways amongst others items for me. All programmes I bought from them were sent before payment fro me. Maybe their trustworthiness led to their demise?
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:30 am 
Post subject:

There was the WMPCC which I was a member of back in the early to mid eighties - The West Midlands Programme Collectors Club.

They produced a substantial quarterly (I think) magazine called, rather appropriately' 'The Rusty Staple'. I can't remember the people behind the club but think they were Shropshire based. They also organised a number of programme fairs, generally at Shrewsbury.
Rocky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:01 am 
Post subject:

I was also a member of the WMPCC in the late 80's. The Rusty Staple was a great little magazine and if I recall it had a for sale / wanted feature similar to PM. It also came with a list of members and their addresses to allow contact in those pre IT days. Renewing my interest in the hobby, I picked up some decent Boro stuff at the time.

There must be other ex members of the WMPCC other than myself & GreatBarr on this forum.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
keithofborstal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:52 am 
Post subject: Wirral Programme Club

Anybody know when, why the WPC packed up, is Ian still with us?
Footyfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:04 pm 
Post subject:

Slightly OT but I seem to remember an organaisation called PACT which endeavoured to 'regulate' dealers in some way, I vaguely remember some dealers stating in the paper catalogues that they were, I quote:

"We are members of P.A.C.T and we abide by their rules and regulations."

The only reference I can find through a Google search is South Staffs Programmes use the phrase in their EBAy Sop listing:
http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/SO.....l2568&

As for the British Programme Club based in Hull under Norman Lovett, this was a pretty 'elitist' club that limited the number of members,

Last edited by Footyfan on Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:41 pm 
Post subject:

I used to subscribe to the appropriately named 'The Rusty Staple' when I lived on the Hereford/Wales border early 80's I think. Seemed to mainly be Midlands and border teams, I still have a few magazines somewhere, and yes the staple did rust!!
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:19 pm 
Post subject: PACT

I think P.A.C.T. was started by John Litster in the late 70s/early 80s as a regulatory body for programme dealers of the day.
keithofborstal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:32 pm 
Post subject: Paul Oldrieve and Lancastria Programme Club

I am sure Paul (Blackburn Rovers & Morecombe) is on this site somewhere, anybody know how to contact him. The Lancastria PC circa 1974 was a great little clu,b that was a groundbreaker in the magazine style newsletter, I think Paul was responsible, anybody know how to contact Paul Oldrieve?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:45 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, I'm in touch - if you PM me I'll give you his email address.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:47 pm 
Post subject: Re: Wirral Programme Club

keithofborstal wrote:
Anybody know when, why the WPC packed up, is Ian still with us?

https://ian-runham.muchloved.com/
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:06 pm 
Post subject:

I seem to remember being in a programme club called 'The Northern Programme club', then based, I think Liverpool. It was run by Malcolm Dallison, who also had a programme shop in Liverpool. I know he moved to somewhere outside of Liverpool and I lost contact with the club. I obtained most of my Liverpool collection from him and there were regular quiz competitions with programmes as prizes. Used to love receiving his monthly lists. Anyone know what happened to Malcolm??
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:00 pm 
Post subject:

Grumpypants wrote:
I seem to remember being in a programme club called 'The Northern Programme club', then based, I think Liverpool. It was run by Malcolm Dallison, who also had a programme shop in Liverpool. I know he moved to somewhere outside of Liverpool and I lost contact with the club. I obtained most of my Liverpool collection from him and there were regular quiz competitions with programmes as prizes. Used to love receiving his monthly lists. Anyone know what happened to Malcolm??

I often asked the same question as he was very helpful with my collection too.

He did move to Widnes from Hale, but the latest I heard was that he moved into the ‘Second Hand’ business after his shop closed. He might have had a yard somewhere.
Shocked
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: