Football Programmes Centre

World Cup Bid
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
World Cup Bid
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:40 pm 
Post subject: World Cup Bid

Well, did anyone watch Panorama last night, or were you, like me, watching Barca pasting Real.

Has the programme scotched a possible World Cup for England, or do you think it has already been lost.

The bid team already blundered with the 'handbags'

Was it in the public interest as the Beeb have claimed.

Were they right to 'air' it now, or should they have waited.

If they had waited and we lose the bid, would that not have been sour grapes, if we win, will it be a case of 'thanks, but we still think you're fiddling ********'.

Did the programme actually uncover anything that we didn't already know.

Should we had keep quiet about it, and continue to ass lick Fifa.

Is it not bizarre that Jack Warner, from the hotbed of football Trinidad & Tobago appears to be pivotal in our bid.

Do you actually want the World Cup, maybe many people's only/last chance to see it here.If we win will you actually attempt to go, the majority of tickets will be corporate and on the whole the prices sky high (the olympics are bad enough).
The touts will be in their element.

Will we benefit financially or will it be a case of being left with another financial burden.

A lot of questions I know, anyone got any thoughts. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:01 pm 
Post subject: FIFA

Did indeed watch the Panorama programme, and very interesting it was too. The corruption they mentioned is wholly endemic within FIFA where the bung culture is seen as entirely natural. When we're talking bungs here by the way, we're talking 6 figure minimums.
FIFA as an entity demands 8 agreed points from any country wanting to hold the competition, including tax free status and the ability to circumvent other laws such as the minimum wage for people they have involved with it's handling during the games. Shoddy, totally shoddy.
There's no legacy, that was apparent as FIFA suck everything out of the tournament and the game with it to become an ever more bloated monster.
I'd actively campaign not to have such an organisation blight these shores with their grubby dealings and practices. FIFA needs investigating fully, from top to bottom, and then radically overhauling to make it accountable. Won't happen though, there's too much money and dodgy business interests wrapped up in it.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:25 pm 
Post subject:

Didn't watch the programme as we all already know that fifa are corupt to the core so what's the point.
As for the world cup I couldn't give a monkeys where it is as long as it's not here. Bristol is trying to get games played in the city, going on about how it will bring millions into the local economy. Well I can't see me or anyone I know getting a share of that. Maybe hotel chains owned by someone in London or more likely some arab country. As for real fans getting ticket, don't make me laugh, most of them will go to anyone that licks fifa's asses the best. The prices over here will mean that no normal people will be able to afford them anyway.

Plus on a more local theme. If winning the WC helps Bristol C**Y get their new stadium them NO THANKS.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:40 am 
Post subject:

I don't really give two hoots if we get it or not. The whole arrangement of FIFA stinks - we knew this anyway. But as far as the 2018 Bid goes.. well there are so many things wrong with it as to be ridiculous. To suggest that - let's say Man Utd can have a few games but Man City can't is plain crazy. We have anything up to 16 decent grounds in this country and a whole lot of big cities capable of catering to the event. What is so difficult about using 4-5 London grounds and all the outside cities that want some of the attendant interest. It would be really great if places like Plymouth had a 'lesser' game (a smaller ground of course) so that many from down in the SW get to see a game easily. Hell no, let's pick the so-called big grounds, so-called big teams - none of this for you down there. Anyway that's my take on it - what's wrong with including the likes of the Millennium Stadium, Twickenham, Murrayfield, The 3 major football stadia in Glasgow etc etc etc.
Frampton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:55 am 
Post subject:

pastpirate wrote:
Plus on a more local theme. If winning the WC helps Bristol C**Y get their new stadium them NO THANKS.

Typical G*s Wink
stodin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:45 am 
Post subject:

I say fuck em!

We as a nation should distance ourselves from the slimey corrupt bastards and withdraw our bid. Bidding to host the world cup is condoning FIFAs disgusting behaviour.

Let Russia host it, the corruption will be right up their street. We can then watch FIFA squirm when hooliganism (and I mean proper hooliganism not a few mugs throwing plastic chairs) totally overshadows the tournament and they are left with blood on their hands.

I never wanted it here anyway, Euro 96 was the final nail in the coffin for football in this country.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:27 am 
Post subject:

ToffeeDan wrote:
what's wrong with including the likes of the Millennium Stadium, Twickenham, Murrayfield, The 3 major football stadia in Glasgow etc etc etc.

You can have them if we get automatic qualification Thumbs Up
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:51 pm 
Post subject:

Frampton wrote:
pastpirate wrote:

Typical G*s Wink

Thought that may get a reaction from you Frampton.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
whitetiger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:17 pm 
Post subject:

as everything in life the larger the pot of money involved the less scupulous people become. ie politics,premier league, fifa, olympics, eu etc although they tell us there are working for your best interests. Hope we never get it, let those with poor morales swim in the flith they enjoy.
foxes1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:39 pm 
Post subject:

pastpirate wrote:

You and City could always share the stadium Shocked
Frampton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:05 pm 
Post subject:

foxes1 wrote:
pastpirate wrote:

Mad Shocked Dont talk dirty Shocked Mad
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:58 pm 
Post subject:

Well the Prince, the PM, and Goldenballs are taking turns in licking Jack Warners ringpiece to secure his vote. Oh how the corrupt little charlatan will be loving it.
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:10 am 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Well the Prince, the PM, and Goldenballs are taking turns in licking Jack Warners ringpiece to secure his vote. Oh how the corrupt little charlatan will be loving it.

After the Villa v Brum game tonight theyd best do better than that!
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:43 am 
Post subject:

Frampton wrote:
foxes1 wrote:
pastpirate wrote:

Mad Shocked Dont talk dirty Shocked Mad

Well said Frampton..

That is a terible thing to say Foxes.

Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:23 pm 
Post subject:

If we get it, the say farewell to Forest's City Ground which has hosted football for over a hundred years.

Forest will get a new ground in a dull location instead rather than a lovely location which fans enjoy week in, week out.

And for what? 3 half empty group games between the likes of Serbia v Ghana, which won't need a 40k capacity anyway.

Clubs like MK Dons will get their grounds expanded, and will discover what it's like to be Sheffield Wednesday or Darlington and have a more than half empty ground every week.

Expect tickets to be extortionately priced, and allocated via ballot, so if you have been to every England home game for years, tough, when the World Cup comes, you have to watch them on TV.

Personally having been to it in France (9Cool and Germany (06), I hope Spain and Portugal win it, that way I get to have a nice holiday for 3 weeks and visit some places I haven't been before. It's more fun going away than hosting it - Euro 96 was very well done, but it's not as good as making a holiday out of it.
TonyS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:54 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:

To which of the four are you referring? Plus the thought of Jack Warner's
ring piece has just turned me off of my muesli and passion fruit... No
tcno10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:54 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote,

Clubs like MK Dons will get their grounds expanded, and will discover what it's like to be Sheffield Wednesday or Darlington and have a more than half empty ground every week.

Problem with Hillsborough and empty seats is the size of the away allocation in relation to very poorly supported teams,

Last season Palace fetched 184 fans sat in an end that holds 6,000 for the FA cup tie,and that was at £10 a ticket.

If the bid is successful and Hillsborough gets selected,then this area of the stadium will change and away fans will be cornered off somewhere in the back of a stand.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:12 pm 
Post subject:

Well we took 6700 for the League game!

And it wasn't like Wednesday needed all of the other 32,000 seats for the Cup game was it!

When Palace have a cup game where the away team are only going to bring a few hundred, we put the away fans in the (smaller) Whitehorse Lane end, rather than opeing the Arthur Wait Stand - smaller area to steward and to sweep afterwards!
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:41 pm 
Post subject:

Ho hum, can't win them all!
Frampton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:11 pm 
Post subject:

not surprising was it Crying or Very sad
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: