Football Programmes Centre

Defunct STADIUMS,Whats happened to the site where they were?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Defunct STADIUMS,Whats happened to the site where they were?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:53 pm 
Post subject: Defunct STADIUMS,Whats happened to the site where they were?

Some of the grounds I visited in the 60s are long since gone .The Baseball Ground,Roker Park ,Ayresome Park ,Burnden Park,Leeds Road.my birthplace town Chesters Sealand rd,and others .I wonder what has happened to the sites of these famous grounds? Supermarkets housing ,or industrial estates ?
Ghostly roars of long ago crowds still pervading the areas perhaps ?
Would be interesting to know. Confused
coolascustard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:28 pm 
Post subject:

Baseball ground having houses built on it had a vote to name the streets Mcfarland way,clough close, bloomer avenue ect.
kenred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

I would imagine the factory ,or something that was behind the standing area facing the main stand also got demolished when the ground went .One of my favourite away grounds was the Baseball Ground.The playing surface seemed c**p ,but I remember a 4-4 draw between United and the Rams in 1970,and the atmosphere in the ground was great.. Thanks for letting me know anyway about the current situation at the site.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:17 pm 
Post subject: old stadiums

The Observer, has a fascinating section on just what you're asking every Sunday. It's not restricted to football, there's race courses, cricket grounds, etc. It gives photographic evidence of when the ground was functioning, when it had lain idle for a few years, and what it is now. I don't know whether they have an archive, I must assume they do, and it would certainly be worth your while to contact them on line to ask where you may be able to access it.
You can still see the terracing on the old Cathkin Park (Third Lanark) in Pollokshaws in Glasgow.
kenred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:25 pm 
Post subject:

In Scotland the same applies to Muirton Park ,and now Love Street .Thanks for letting me know about the Observer articles.I often wonder what became of Hurst Park Racecourse .In Manchester there is a wee bit of the Old Racecourse remaining if you know where to look .
As for Third Lanark it was a shame about their demise due apparently to someone hopinfg to cash in on Cathkin Park land.
foxes1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:01 pm 
Post subject: Filbert Street

Leicester's old ground Filbert St is now the site of student flats.
mancitymark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

Maine Road Sad

http://www.manchestereveningne.....maine_road
rokerprogz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:05 pm 
Post subject:

Roker Park is now a housing estate. The streets have names like 'Goalmouth Close', 'Midfield Drive' etc.

It might be over 10 years ago now, but it's still a strange feeling driving past where the ground once stood.

Obviously the ground has gone, but the back lanes, short cuts and pub routes are still there ... memories!
kenred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:33 pm 
Post subject:

Re.Maine Road ,first went on that famous old ground in 1956.Although I used to work in Manchester until I retired a few years ago ,I dont know if any developments have taken place yet.Memories of Big Helen and her famous bell at this stadium come to come to mind
As for Roker 1964 was a memorable visit when I visited for a midweek Cup replay for Black Cats ,and United and didnt get in.Ended up in a pub on the seafront till it was time to get back on the coach .Visited again in 1967 to witness 0-0 draw v United .Remember going in Black Cat Club for a pint of Vaux.
PM sent Mark by the way re.Res.Prog.
kenred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:49 pm 
Post subject:

Just found a website Premier football books site which is great as it shows grounds then ,and now .Answers lots of my questions.
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:11 pm 
Post subject:

kenred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:13 pm 
Post subject:

Even more to satisfy my curiosity re.lost football groonds .A 5 minute video
on You tube with music ,covering I would think all the defunct grounds.Curiously though it finishes at City ground ,Forest.They havent moved have they ? Check this video out, it is really good.
ForestMick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:59 am 
Post subject:

No, not yet, but there have been plans to move to a new 55,000 seater stadium in Clifton (Which is where I live, just off junction 24, M1) in order to hve a venue suitable to host world cup games, concerts etc. This would be great for me, as I'd be able to walk from my house to the ground, However, I think it would be a shame, as its a ground full of history, and the happiest memories of my life are from that ground.
I suppose over a hundred years ago, people were saying the same, when Forest moved from the Forest Recreation ground (which is now a public park, and park and ride site), the site in Lenton, and the cricket ground.
coolascustard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

Incidentally the baseball ground wasn't Derby's first ground.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:45 pm 
Post subject:

Eastville Stadium, the home of Bristol Rovers until 1986 is now the site of an Ikea store.
piggin hate driving in or out of town on the M32 now.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Juanjo33

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:39 pm 
Post subject:

Ayresome Park is a housing estate - I think there's a concrete ball in someone's garden marking the centre spot.

Walsall's Fellows Park has a Morrisons on it, which has a plaque and display of old fotos on a wall inside.

One of Port Vale's old grounds is now The Potteries Shopping Centre in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent - there's a plaque on the wall inside.

Stoke's old Victoria Ground has been flattened, but is just waste ground. The council would not allow it to be developed until the main road past it was finished. It's done, but obviously the building market has collapsed so there has been no progress
matt blue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:43 pm 
Post subject:

the outgoing ninian is to become houses i beleive, granted the stadiums had its day id prefer to stay there anyday then share with the egg chasers !!
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

If you are sharing with eggchasers Matt I hope they get the pitch right.
It's taken us over 10 years to sort ours out.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Geddon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:03 pm 
Post subject:

We share with the Hairsprays and the pitch has always been fantastic in all fairness. I think you're having the same surface at Cardiff so you should be fine.

The Vetch is still there, they can't decide what to do with it, although the original plan was to build flats on it. The pitch itself is marked as green land, so they can't build anything on there, I think the idea was to have flats surrounding a park area.

I've only been to Ninian a handful of times and I'd much rather go there than to another identikit stadium, it's a proper ground. I bet the Bob Bank looked fantastic when it was all terracing and full.
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:31 pm 
Post subject: Re: Filbert Street

foxes1 wrote:
Leicester's old ground Filbert St is now the site of student flats.
How so sad loved visiting this ground in the 60s early 70s when The"Doog" was in his pomp.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: