Football Programmes Centre

Displaying
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Displaying
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kstand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:54 pm 
Post subject: Displaying

How do you display your collection?

Mine are just in a box but was thinking about displaying them as my collection grows.
Ann Orack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:26 pm 
Post subject: Storage

I presume you mean how do you store the programmes since they have to be kept away from sunlight to avoid bleaching where the colour fades.

DJ Bookbinders produced a natty binder with plastic inserts, these have subsequently been copied by PM. These are excellent for older programmes but in my opinion the size and weight of modern day stuff makes them impractical.

I store modern stuff in specially made cardboard boxes that hold a seasons worth of homes or aways. They cost me about £1.50 each and in many ways resemble a posh shirt box.

Other ideas about include a plastic multipunched pocket available from all stationers contained within either a ring binder or lever arch file. The issue I found with those is that the wallets crumple and can cause damage to the bottom of the programme.

Theres also the sandwich or film fronted bag that most ebayers send stuff out in. These are good for the feelers amongst us that like to touch a programme without the risk of leaving finger grease marks on a programme.

For the really valuable stuff take a tip from the comic book collectors who use mylars and/or mylites. These are generally acid free polypropelene. A tad expensive but good for the serious fondlers.

I could go on but I need to get home and discus the relative merits of modern day reserve issues with the Mrs. She doubts the integrity of many a modern day reserve issue but agrees they must be collected to be complete.
landorerocks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:12 pm 
Post subject:

i think he means badges not programmes Confused
Smile
Ann Orack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:22 pm 
Post subject:

Who's a silly bugger then?

I guess its me!
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 pm 
Post subject:

Very goood Mrs Orack Very Happy

seriously... theres so many ways to display your badge collection..
Coin Trays
Vynl coin pages in binders
some collectors pin them on to scarves or pennants
also a few of the older collectors use the reverse of those bamboo calenders you can get from your friendly Chinese Take Away

I use the Coin trays and pages Cool
Deeley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:31 pm 
Post subject:

I use the Coin Albums that are sold by WHSmith. The only drawback being you can only use four pages per album, but you can get up to 36 badges on each page.
hullbadge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 pm 
Post subject:

I use the coin pages so much easier to look after.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:53 pm 
Post subject:

I also use the WH Smith coin album system

There are different types of leaves - I usually use the 4x4 version, so 16 badges per A4 leaf

It's especially good for limited edition badge sets such as AKP badges, because the square backing card fits perfectly into each pocket.
onthebox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:24 pm 
Post subject:

I use the W H Smith album system also, and the nice thing is the leaves are acid free so you won't damage what you put in them Thumbs Up
kstand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:41 pm 
Post subject:

Think im gonna try these WH Smith coin albums then, cheers everyone.
Deeley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:08 pm 
Post subject:

WHSmiths prices are better online than in their shops. Theyalso usually have special offers!
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:31 am 
Post subject:

Deeley - II take it your a regular down Molineux, have you tried visiting the Collectors Centre in Wolverhampton, I'm pretty sure there a shop in there that sells football memorabilia and "Classic " coin sleeves and maybe the albums,, they're better quality then the WHS ones and hold 6-8 pages plus they're cheaper
dollybluedave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:47 pm 
Post subject:

i butcher mine somewhat.....pair of pliers to remove the pin/hasp.....then supergle a drawing pin to the back.

i cover cork tiles in green beize....then stick the badges to this. they lie nice and flush. when i have enough i frame the lot behing glass and hang them on the wall..............

(although "value" may have been lost by removing the pin.....i get "value" every single time i enter our living room....cos there they are on permanent disply)

does this forum support photo's? i could pop one up if anyone would like Smile
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:11 pm 
Post subject:

Sacrilege!

Could you not pin them to the baize without desecrating the badges?
Diamond Matt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:52 pm 
Post subject:

dollybluedave wrote:
i butcher mine somewhat.....pair of pliers to remove the pin/hasp.....then supergle a drawing pin to the back.

Crying or Very sad
kstand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:14 pm 
Post subject:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Catal.....ryAndCards

Do you have to buy the coin albums, or can you buy the refills and use a normal ring binder?
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:40 am 
Post subject:

Using coin sleeves you really need to use the proper binders (4 rings) this is due to the weight of the sleeve once its full of badges, otherwise the sleeves esp. WHS tend to get ripped from the rings - try and get classic coin sleeves or Coindex sleeves rather than WHS variety
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 am 
Post subject:

I would have though for badges it's pretty simple to knock up a display board.

Just get a 3 ply wooden board the size and shape you want. Fix to that anything that allows you push the pins in easy - pin board, cork etc. Then cover all that with a nice thin cloth in the colour of your choice (but I suspect black might work best and curtain blackout ideal).

If you want to keep them dust free wrap them in thin sellopane or even cling film.

I think if I collected badges I would do the above but in a thin long bar design and fix them to a wall like a dado rail around the room. That way you can display one long line of badge and the all get equal exposure rather then getting lost in big collections.
kstand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:00 pm 
Post subject:

I went to one of my local antique shops yesterday, and they had loads of old cutlery boxes.

I was thinking i could use them, but just take the inside out and put foam in there.
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:22 am 
Post subject:

The Mrs told me the other day that WHSmiths have stopped doing the blue collecting system binders.
Will have a proper investigate in the next couple of weeks - I suspect it's more likely that the one particular branch she went do (Sutton in Surrey) didn't have any blue ones in store
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: