Football Programmes Centre

Programme Monthly coverage of this forum
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Programme Monthly coverage of this forum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smk06

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:42 pm 
Post subject: Programme Monthly coverage of this forum

It seems fair to say that PM's coverage of our forum in the last two issues has been far from complimentary.

Taken from Editor's Diary (pages 8-9 November 2010)
-------------------------
October 4

All quiet, apparently, on the internet chat-room front, following last month's report of the shenanigans surrounding the Sarajevo v Manchester United programme. An experienced collector telephoned to add his impression of operating on that particular collectors' website. "Initially, I thought it was a good idea, and a sensible way to help collectors find their 'wants'. I contacted a few, quoting what I thought were decent prices for the 'difficult' 60s and 70s programmes they were after. I couldn't believe the abuse I got, for daring to charge more than a pound. It's one thing not wanting to pay a seller's price, but it's something else altogether to respond to the offer with a volley of abuse, via email of course, and anonymously. I despair of the standard of behaviour amongst some of the people I am now encountering in the hobby, via the internet. I won't be using that 'service' again." If that's the future of collecting, then god help us all.
--------------------

I am very surprised to hear about this sort of behaviour on our forum as everyone I have encountered over the last two years has been polite and well mannered. I'd like to think that the person responsible for this poor behaviour would be banned and the reputation of the hundreds of decent people who use this forum (and who may not subscribe to PM) is no longer tarnished.
BertD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:01 pm 
Post subject:

It's a bit like blaming a car being rusty.

Like yourself, I've experienced nothing but good vibes from the members herein. But that doesn't make a good story, of course.
kcs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:06 pm 
Post subject:

This to me sounds like sour grapes and almost fighting talk from PM.

Clearly the forum is up and coming and growing everyday, I for one have gained far more programmes from the forum than I ever did from programme monthly.
I continue to visit the forum on a daily basis and probably even more than once a day, I no longer subscribe to PM, I may occasionally purchase a copy through eBay (A source that is not liked by the editor yet he uses it as a means of trading) and to be honest in my opinion the magazine is decreasing in value. Market Place has a lot less sellers than say 2 years a go.

Several of the bigger dealers no longer advertise within the magazine but use the internet as a means of trading...... The internet is the future of programme collecting whether we accept this or not.

If only the editor of the magazine in question would get off from his high horse perhaps he would have the 'balls' to argue his case and let us all know on here what and where we are going wrong!! After all he is the messiah of programme collecting is he not??

No doubt this will be frowned upon within the publication, do you know what? I don't care!!

The forum is my number one source of information regarding programme collecting and will remain so!!

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:19 pm 
Post subject:

kcs wrote:
This to me sounds like sour grapes and almost fighting talk from PM.

It certainly comes across that way. I have never encountered any such bad behaviour on this forum - that's not to say it does not exist. However, there appears to be no effort on PM's part to point out that this is not a normal occurance on here, indeed it's just a sly dig which is disappointing.

I also wonder if the "experienced collector" is prepared to substantiate these allegations and whether Craig has ever received complaints of this nature?

It's all getting a bit silly now, if the Editor was prepared to contribute to the forum in a positive manner, perhaps in return people would willingly help improve Programme Monthly and be encouraged to contribute articles. The magazine and forum are not in competition with each other.
holtie96

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:30 pm 
Post subject: Programme monthly

I agree with everything said, some people on this site do what something for nothing though, but saying that they have never been rude. My only problem was with chris Amy who still hasn't sent me my ticket and programme although he said he would. That is the only problem I have had. Programme monthly should be looking at working with this site not against it as it could be the way forward for the magazine
smk06

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:47 pm 
Post subject:

I'm in agreement with all comments so far. In the last 12-18 months I've used a combination of eBay, PM, this forum and the contacts made using all 3 to massively reduce my Derby aways wants list. Thanks to everyone who has helped!
CARLISLE ONE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:04 pm 
Post subject: PM

Often felt like giving a volley of abuse when seeing minimum bid requirements when i subscibed to PM. Have had a few dealings on here, so far positive.

Strange that the allegations of abuse come from unnamed sources, someone scared of libel ?

Dave

name and address available to anyone wanting to slander or libel me, and vice versa i hope Wink
gang-warily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:02 pm 
Post subject:

He should be allowed to write whatever he likes. But frankly I'm surprised anybody subscribes to PM at all in this day and age. Does he make monety at it? If the answer is 'no' he may as well set up a webiste and publish articles, adverts etc on there.
Dodge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 pm 
Post subject:

So the internet is to blame for one guy being a twat?
Vintage Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:43 pm 
Post subject:

You have to remember that the internet has turned programme selling and collecting upside down.To many of the old brigade involved in the hobby it's the great evil that has not only decimated their trade, but destroyed the opportunities for their little scams. I personally wouldn't get too upset about the defaming of this forum.We all know which way the future is going to take the hobby, and a monthly magazine of out-dated dross is only going to appeal to the few who still resist the internet and those who carry on subscribing to the magazine purely out of habit. I stopped subscribing some years ago, and I can honestly say that I haven't missed it one bit.
gang-warily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

As far as I'm concerned the internet MADE this hobby. Ebay ensured that sought-after items come around more often and at affordable prices. And there are plenty of great dealers with good websites Easy
oldbolt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:13 am 
Post subject:

BertD wrote:

Like yourself, I've experienced nothing but good vibes from the members herein. But that doesn't make a good story, of course.

I can think of several posters giving out bad vibes on this site.

To mention 3

1.A guy from Cyprus who asked for a deal on a bundle of tickets and then listed them on ebay a couple of weeks after getting a generous discount from one of the sites regular posters.

2.A bloke from Widnes (i think) who was selling Everton programmes and responded to someone else offering a programme on the same thread with "Fuck off and start your own thread ". I thought it was a comedy post at the time but it turned out from his following abusive posts that he was serious.

3.A guy who advertised mostly expensive programmes and after ignoring several PMs about one £1 programme i wanted, gave me his address but then claimed the cheque must have gone missing in the post when the programme didn't arrive.Cheques can of course go missing in the post but that is the first and only time the postal service has lost anything of mine.Too much of a coincidence in my opinion when the guy obviously didn't want such a small transaction.
rob71

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:25 am 
Post subject:

Quote:
[quote="oldbolt"]I can think of several posters giving out bad vibes on this site.
quote]

You are always going to get some bad apples, but generally I have found site has been great. I still buy PM and enjoy reading some of the articles, but the Offers lists have decreased substantially over the last year and I can see it struggling to remain economic to publish.

I do find the attitude from PM's editor to be very suspicious of the internet and there are constant negative articles on ebay. As pointed out above, he uses ebay to sell the magazine so must realise how important iebay now is to the hobby.

I don't see why PM, this forum and ebay can't all have a place, so it is petty to have a snipe at this forum. I think that kind of attitude will only put subscribers off PM.
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:46 pm 
Post subject:

With nearly 900 members and over 30,000 posts in just two years there are bound to be some bad apples around. We deal with any complaints the best way we can and im sure Programme Monthly receives a lot of complaints each month too so im not sure why the editor is taking such a blatant swipe at this forum in this months issue. Ive never had anyone report the alleged issue to me and there are no names mentioned -
Sherlock

Is it because for 20 years he has provided a great service and then all of a sudden something new has come along and within 2 years has 900 members and from reading this thread the majority of them see the internet as the way forward. Programme Monthly i think says (or used to say) it sells around 3000 magazines every month and its taken 20 years to build that up but we have near enough a third of that subscription in such a short time.

Ive tried on many many occasions to try and work with Programme Monthly and offer what i think would be an excellent service to all the collectors around. All i needed was about 8 old magazines and the rights to republish their works and they would have a whole new income stream opened up to them at no risk yet the magazine seems to be stuck in the 80s when it was top dog but sadly with so many other sources of information nowadays it needs to either move with the times or it will find itself in trouble.
Rocky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:19 pm 
Post subject:

I think that P.M.s blacklist indicates the the number of bad apples that have used that publication to rip off people.

However, for value for money I prefer P.M. to any present day match programme. It's a much better read.
gang-warily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 am 
Post subject:

ha- that's a very good point about the blacklist Rocky.

Craig - I think it's a shame that he cant see a way for you to work together.
holtie96

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:15 am 
Post subject: Pm

Any chance of a blacklist Craig? Chris Amy ripped me off and has got away with it he could easily appear as a new user on this site
ForestPaul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:48 am 
Post subject:

I can't see it sells 3000 copies a month because if it did ther would be a flood of new members on here to see what all the fuss is about probably more around the 500 mark if he's lucky
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:17 pm 
Post subject: Re: Pm

holtie96 wrote:
Any chance of a blacklist Craig? Chris Amy ripped me off and has got away with it he could easily appear as a new user on this site

Leave it with me for a few days. Thumbs Up
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:35 pm 
Post subject: Re: Pm

holtie96 wrote:

http://www.pmfc.co.uk/black_list.php
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: