Football Programmes Centre

Single Sheet Friendlies
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Single Sheet Friendlies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForestMick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:26 pm 
Post subject: Single Sheet Friendlies

I have a few single sheet friendlies that I wondered if they were worth anything. A couple that spring to mind are:
Sheff. Wed. v Stoke, 2.4.82, and Exeter v Watford, 15.2.86. These two also bring an interesting point-Fake or real? The Sheff. Wed. one looks genuine, as it has the club crest on the front, has 'official programme' written on it, and looks right. The other one is just typed on a piece of plain white paper, and looks like I could have typed it. However, I know this is genuine though, because I bought a lot at auction that belonged to a former director of Exeter City, and it was a hastily arranged friendly, which explains the typed single sheet, costing a massive 5p!!Just wondered if they were worth anything, and if so, how would you know they were genuine if you were buying?I know there are 'experts' on here that will know the answer to this, cheers, Mick.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:08 am 
Post subject: single sheets

Difficult to comment on recent programmes, but single sheet issues by their very nature have a rarity aspect to them in that a lot end up in bins etc. I have a Scarborough v Chesterfield s/s programme from early 80's that I can't give away, that when I purchased it thought "that's wortha few bob" Still got it!
Hand typed ones do seem to fetch the money. My own home town Grimsby produced some of these in the late 60's / early 70's on blotting style paper that are now each worth a small fortune because only a very few were sold, and of those, very few have survived.
There's no definitive answer, best bet's to stick it on ebay and see what it attracts. If it's rare, even with today's economic climate it'll sell, if not, nothing lost.
ForestMick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:38 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for that. I knew you'd be the one to reply, is there anything you don't know about football programmes?!!!
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:42 pm 
Post subject: programme prices

Obviously, otherwise I wouldnt have bought the Scarborough programme! Look at what it's got going for it
1. Single sheet issue
2. Pre league team
3. Friendly
4. League vs non league

It's all down to supply and demand. Some collectors don't bother with them, whilst others pursue them with a zealousness normally reserved for Thatcher shutting the pits down.
ForestMick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:07 pm 
Post subject:

Yeah, but we all make mistakes, and surely you didn't pay that much for it? Do you think that its down to the team involved? I don't know, but is there a market for Chesterfield programmes, or would people just collect on rarity value rather than team?
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:54 pm 
Post subject: programme prices

I paid 50 pence for it, and that's till about its' worth. The one Chesterfield single sheet programme I and most collectors would welcome is for the 1960-61 Football League cup tie against Leeds United. Value between £500 and £700 dependent on how many people are bidding for it.
Senior82

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 pm 
Post subject: Re: Single Sheet Friendlies

ForestMick wrote:
I have a few single sheet friendlies that I wondered if they were worth anything. A couple that spring to mind are:
Sheff. Wed. v Stoke, 2.4.82, and Exeter v Watford, 15.2.86. These two also bring an interesting point-Fake or real? The Sheff. Wed. one looks genuine, as it has the club crest on the front, has 'official programme' written on it, and looks right. The other one is just typed on a piece of plain white paper, and looks like I could have typed it. However, I know this is genuine though, because I bought a lot at auction that belonged to a former director of Exeter City, and it was a hastily arranged friendly, which explains the typed single sheet, costing a massive 5p!!Just wondered if they were worth anything, and if so, how would you know they were genuine if you were buying?I know there are 'experts' on here that will know the answer to this, cheers, Mick.

Your Wednesday one does sound genuine to me. The single sheet friendlies are rare-ish, might be worth whacking it on ebay if it's in good condition
ForestMick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:44 pm 
Post subject:

Yeah I'm pretty certain its genuine, as I bought it at auction with some other Sheff. Wed. stuff from Sportingold, and it looks legit as well. Like you both said, probs best on ebay (just hate the place!!).
YCFC1922

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:17 pm 
Post subject:

I had a York v Sheff Wed single sheet friendly from 1979, which went for a song at £22 on ebay, couldn't believe it, but like Auckinleckian have a Scarborough v York single sheet from early eighties, that i struggled to GIVE away in the end.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:54 am 
Post subject:

Interesting question. Certainly many of the "lesser-issues" for a club are the most desired/least available - chiefly amongst these will always be the likes of:

1. Early League Cup issues (early 60s) - low attendances, often smaller programme content.

2. Pre-season/testimonial type issues - older stuff that might be single sheet items

3. Rearranged/neutral venue

4. Teamsheets issued from a few years ago.

5. A large number of postponed games.

In my experience (Everton) I have around 100 teamsheets from the late 70s and early 80s which were issued to a few supporters and directors and these are quite rare - nowadays EFC hand them out to all and sundry (and I think a lot of clubs do too).

Some of the rarer issues will always be (mostly older) Youth Cup and Reserve fixtures - or indeed anything with a limited run. Some of these (Everton) examples include Everton v Gornik - a handful of directors were issued with them (I would love a copy never mind an original), Everton v Burnley in 1960 (programme had run out so they issued a teamsheet), Tranmere v Everton LC 1960 (original game postponed, reissued with 4 page supplement the following week), Everton v Shrewsbury FAC 83 (teamsheet issued as entry to accommodate Sunday Trading Laws back then) and so on. I do have a large quantity of the rarer one page stuff of this type but it's taken the best part of 40 years to accumulate!
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:01 am 
Post subject: Single Sheet Issues

I have several sheet Leicester issues, mostly from away Friendlies at places like Darlington, Hartlepool and Scarborough, although I actually attended the games its hard to convince people that these were the only things issued and they are original.
Others to look out for are single sheet F A Cup games most of these were from before 1970 when the original game was played on the Saturday then the replay was played on the following Monday, so there wasn't enough time to produce a new prog.
One that springs to mind are Leics v Bristol City which was abandoned on 28/01/61 and replayed on 31/01/61 (For which a single sheet team sheet was produced).
As regards Testimonials one of the most annoying things is, that clubs produce brochures for the players and generally sell them well before the game, then on the night of the match they produce a single sheet programme and sell it along with the brochure, so effectively you are payingb twice fot hte brochure.
burnley_collector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:17 am 
Post subject:

Burnley have a few single sheet issues from the early 80s - mainly anglo-scottish cup games.

You can tell if they are genuine or not by the quality and feel of the paper.

I had someone last month who tried to sell me some single sheets and passing them off as genuine - they looked like they'd been done on a photocopier that day!
surfinjim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:18 am 
Post subject:

I had a hand typed single sheet for Rotherham v Halifax pre season friendly from 1974 (I think from memory). It had team changes and scorers added.

It went for £66 on Fleabay! Shocked

Just depends if you get 2 collectors who desperately want that programme. On that one I had a lad from Rotherham against a lad from Halifax.

I've had several of the Wednesday single sheet/A4 programmes from the 70's and your description sounds bang on. The 70's ones are pretty hard to find and go for £15 approx.
andyfromboston

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:36 pm 
Post subject:

I've a box full of Huddersfield Town home and away 70's/80's/90's reserve single sheets as well as a number of Palace reserve and youth single sheets from the late 70's. There's also an Everton reserve issue from the 60's and a Forest of similar vintage.

Pm me if there is anything you need.
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:51 pm 
Post subject:

Andy, Toffeedan who does the prediction comptition on this forum may be interested in that Everton reserve issue.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: