Football Programmes Centre

The Quest for the 92
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Quest for the 92
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

Ground No 66, Griffin Park, Brentford

'I'm losing the will to live son',
'Dad, I can't see anything for the rain, its like a monsoon, can it get any worse'
'Yes it can son, the windscreen wipers have just packed in'

By now the dashboard on the Reliant was feeling the full force of frustration, Macca wasn't helping chuntering 'should have caught the train' It was 2pm and all looked lost, I had no idea where I was and looking at some of the locals neither did they.

We pass Kew Bridge railway station, where in a kind of twisted logic I assumed there would be a car park but the inconsiderate bastards didn't have one, that's what assuming gets for you. So I double back to be met by a wall of traffic, hope ebbing away as we sit outside the new stadium development.
'That's not going to help with the car parking is it?' Macca wasn't wrong. We're finally back out I've been past the ground three times already, its 2:20pm and any thoughts of a pre-match pint have been banished. Back under the M4, we're now in South Ealing, I'm on some kind of housing estate, littered with little notices that have the dreaded phrase 'Permit Holders only and double yellow lines, I push onto till the very end but we've come to a dead end, all is lost, and then as if the gods had decreed it, someone came out and drove off, in all honesty I didn't know whether we were allowed, we could be ticketed or clamped but we threw caution to the winds of fate and headed off towards Griffin Park.

Its a hazardous journey, have you tried crossing that A4, but we finally make it to the New Inn, its rammed so we trot off to the Princess, its rammed, the Griffin...don't ask. There's no hope of a teamsheet, our way blocked to reception with barbed wire and machine gun posts, so we head in, to escape the deluge if nothing else. We're on the lower tier, terracing couldn't afford the seats above, I glance at the watch 2:30. Wow, after all the Palava in parking, we're actually too early.

The bottom tier is in sections with pillars always a possible obstruction. We head to the far end which is the nearest to the home supporters, this wasn't intentional, it was just that there was nobody there apart from a big fat kid who was sat in a chinese buddha pose. The United lads are warming up, and my next door neighbour, who is on the pitch comes over to see us.
Don't think he was impressed with the weather. His hair was ruined.

As kick off approached, the away swells, Macca and me had a crush barrier all to our self but now we joined by a large number of people who have clearly been where I wanted to have been, I.e the pub. Still by kick off, we're like sardines, and the atmosphere is good. At half time, there's little point trying to meander our way down the narrow passage behind the stand to either reach the food stall or worse the black hole of Calcutta known as the toilet. There was also an 85% of being mugged.

After a tight first half, Bashembaeur strikes on the hour, with the aid of a deflection, in truth most of his strikes do have corner flags trembling in fear, and none were more surprised when it hit the back of the net. Macca who was struggling to see, wasn't sure what had happened but he went with the flow. Brentford equalize and then we batter them for the remaining 20 minutes, their keeper denying us with 3 or 4 great saves. Honours are even, a result that probably didn't help either team but still. We exit the ground which is a monumental exercise in patience and back onto the street there's a heady scent of spring rain, and horse manure.

I head back into reception, where I'm told to go to the programme shop,
No dad, please don't'. Oh ye of little faith Macca, I can go into a programme shop and not buy anthing you know'. 'No you can't dad, that's the problem, from Crawley, Walsall, Crewe, Matlock, North ferriby...admit it you can't'.

It needn't have mattered because the fabled team sheets weren't there, still I was told to go up to the press lounge where I suffer the distain looks of people engrossed in their lap tops, but still no luck, finally, I'm directed back into the main stand to the press box, where it was suggested my quarry might be all over the place. This turned out to be correct team sheets a plenty all over the floor.

Its a ground that you'd be hard pushed to find an away supporter who didn't have some affection for Griffin Park, Looking forward to taking Dan next year before they move, he wasn't there because he'd gone to PSV Eindhoven.

Tickets: £33 (1 x £25, 1 x £Cool
Programme: £3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:20 pm 
Post subject:

Ground No 67, Anfield, Liverpool

'There’s no way I’m going to Birmingham for my 100th ground’
Macca’s stance had caused problems since early April. How to sort that out? It crossed my mind to go to Arsenal to sit in one of their many empty seats but the day after Wenger announced his retirement, and the chosen game was to be his final home game, so that put paid to that.

But a chance encounter late one night on the internet. No not one of those Laughing provided a solution. Brazil v Croatia.

We left at 10:30, as usual a hour later than planned, as the boys aren’t the quickest out of bed. As we left Sheffield, the lads are playing count the sheep, I sighed, this could be a very long game, but I wasn’t complaining they were teenagers and they were.... actually looking out the windows.

For once, I avoid the snake pass and go Chapel en le frith, this is not a good move as it roadworks after roadworks through the outskirts of Stockport with no sign of life the other side of the cones. Still the sun is shining and when we finally emerge we take the scenic route, and go down towards Chester, the boys ask why? 'We are a country steeped in history lads, you can travel all over the world but we have some of the most wonderous views that this world has to offer, Welcome to Ellesmere Port Boys’.

In truth, I wanted to avoid the traffic into Liverpool, so we made our way through the Wallasey tunnel that Macca had insisted years before that the Nazi’s had built and emerged the other side, we park up at Power League, it’s a bit steep at £7 but its cheaper than a new set of tyres. I’m informed there’s a big tournament taking place later. It’s a 15 minute walk up to Anfield , it’s a real carnival atmosphere, an eclectic mixture of cute kids in Brazilian kits and ugly looking muggers in Croatian colours.

There’s plenty of laughter to be had, kids in full Everton kits and someone even had a Karius shirt on. There’s no programmes, and no team sheets, so Dan asks for a half and half scarf as a memento. He gets a clip around his ear for his ridiculous suggestion. We’re living in dangerous times, I’m almost tempted by a ‘Klopp Dog’. We’re in the Kenny Dalglish stand, the Brazilian female supporter is a strange phenomenon, they are either pretty fit, or they are on the larger side capable of killing a man between their thighs, the turnstiles are a bit tight and I help a Brazilian damsel in distress , she’s got a t-shirt on that’s too small, black leather hot pants, and 10 inch heels, the lads are smirking 'don't fancy your chances of survival dad' Razz

We’re on the back row, the boys are lovin it, the weather, the atmosphere, the ground and the view. And away we go, from the start its clear that Willian has all the tricks, Marcelo needs a hair cut, but not like Rakitic's, that’s dreadful, and the best player is Modric. It’s a friendly, but nobody told Croatia. All the noise is coming from their supporters as one by one the Brazilians feel the force. Fifteen minutes in the tannoy ripples with a broad scouse accent, we shrug, no idea what he said, its then followed by the same message in Croatian, which was much easier to understand.

At half time, I notice there’s a pregnant Brazilian bloke in the Executive box behind us, 'Where you going Dad?' ask the boys, ‘To get a team sheet’ I reply ‘There isn’t one’, they counter. 'I know there is’ and I’m going to see Slim and ask for our ball back at the same time'.

Two minutes later I return, team sheet in hand, the lads are disappointed ‘where’s the ball?’.

The second half is stop and start, the downside of an international friendly, Neymar turns up, scores and throws himself on the floor a couple of times. Firminio adds a second with the last kick of the game.

Back outside, the party’s in full swing, Dan gets his scarf, I knew they’d be half price. Didn’t get a klopp dog tho. Spent 30 minutes soaking it all up outside the main stand on the grass. The Boys can’t stop smiling. We walk around the ground pay our respects at the memorial and head back to Power League, just in time to see the big competition kick off. The balcony of the bar, beer in hand, bathed in evening sunshine, when the Mersey Marauders took on a team high on confidence and by the look of it high on drugs. The keeper, Parky has no gloves and looks like he’d rather be running naked though the Lion enclosure at Knowsley Safari Park. After a minute their two down, team captain, Woodsy, is stood in the middle pointing and gesticulating with the ref. Woodsy looks like Robbie Fowler, but plays like Arthur Fowler. The ref is getting tired of the moaning ‘EH COME ON Woodsy, get on with it will you lad’. It soon becomes 3-0, and Woodsy speaking words of encouragement ‘Eh Lads come on this is ****’. The lads a legend, he pulls one back but then Parky drops another clanger and gets more words of wisdom. I would have loved to stop to watch Total Rumania but we had to go.

I let slip, as we head through Bootle, that there’s a ball in the back, so we stop at a park, and relive great World cup moments such as Cubillas scoring against Scotland, Zico scoring against Scotland and Iraj Danaeifard scoring against errrr……Scotland.

Furthermore, We were sharing the park with a family of nine riding around on a motor bike and several dogs.

It was 8 O’clock on a Sunday night and I was playing footie with the lads in a park in Bootle.Confused There was no homework getting done tonight. Arrived back home 10:40 pm. Fantastic day, one of the best we’ve had.

Latest Update: Chesterfield gone, Macclesfield and Tranmere added back on: So Current League Grounds, 67 for Dan, 68 for Macca. Total grounds: Dan 109, Macca 100.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:54 am 
Post subject:

No programme? Crying or Very sad

(glad you got a teamsheet)
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:51 am 
Post subject: The Quest for the 92

Interesting to read a piece on Liverpool that doesn’t fall back on the usual cliched nonsense. You know, stealing car tyres ( used to be wheel hubs) , drugs, scallies on motorbikes and the rest. It is because of this stereotypical crap that The Sun and other right wing rags got away with the lies they spread about what happened at Hillsborough. If you do visit Tranmere in your quest, be careful to park your motor somewhere safe. . Prenton Park is just across the Mersey from Liverpool!
stanley nick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:52 am 
Post subject: Quest for 92

Excellent account with the twists and turns of your adventures
Bristol Rovers vThe MIGHTY ACCY STANLEY on the 11th August!
I need 8 grounds now
Swansea, Southampton, palace, Brighton, Norwich, Millwall, Mk dons, FOR
IF U ARE GOING TO ANY OF THESE THIS SEASON HAPPY TO PAY HALF PETROL!

CHEERS NICK
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:39 am 
Post subject: Re: The Quest for the 92

Flaming Pie wrote:
Interesting to read a piece on Liverpool that doesn’t fall back on the usual cliched nonsense. You know, stealing car tyres ( used to be wheel hubs) , drugs, scallies on motorbikes and the rest. It is because of this stereotypical crap that The Sun and other right wing rags got away with the lies they spread about what happened at Hillsborough. If you do visit Tranmere in your quest, be careful to park your motor somewhere safe. . Prenton Park is just across the Mersey from Liverpool!

Seriously Pie?

Wow....comparing a light hearted account of our travels with the ramblings of The Sun with regards to Hillsborough.

Car,.... always worry no matter which town or city I leave it in. I doubt anyone who has left the car on a side street around Anfield or Goodison hasn't had a small element of worry in the back of their mind.

Right or wrong that's the way its always been.

There are areas in Sheffield I wouldn't dream of leaving the car, even in daylight, am I going to be damned by the residents of Firth Park. Probably not, because they know its true.

Drugs....they played like it. Would have said the same anywhere. Simple as.

Scallies on motorbikes....Never mentioned that they were scallies? They were alright as it happened, talked to the dad, just said they were having a bit of family time, whilst they were hardly anybody there. Kept to themselves. No problem at all.

Tranmere, been there done that.

If you took the time, you may well had noticed that all three trips to Merseyside, Everton, Tranmere and Liverpool have been some of the best away days we have had. That is not being stereotypical....its a fact.
And visits to Bootle and Marine haven't been bad either.

Sadly, you chose to overlook that minor detail.

If anyone should be remotely offended it should be me, the boys and myself have visited the memorial at Anfield (every time we've been watching football on Merseyside), ...and paid our respects.

Comparing Murdoch's rag with my little alternate outlook on a trip to Anfield.(a really good one at that) .....Really?
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:42 am 
Post subject: Re: Quest for 92

stanley nick wrote:
Excellent account with the twists and turns of your adventures
Bristol Rovers vThe MIGHTY ACCY STANLEY on the 11th August!
I need 8 grounds now
Swansea, Southampton, palace, Brighton, Norwich, Millwall, Mk dons, FOR
IF U ARE GOING TO ANY OF THESE THIS SEASON HAPPY TO PAY HALF PETROL!

CHEERS NICK

I'll be in touch Nick, Macca wants to go to Swansea again and we'll definitely be doing Norwich. Might have to bring the brandy and Horlicks both are in Mid January Laughing
stanley nick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:46 am 
Post subject: 92

Ok Sharrow no probs
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:00 am 
Post subject: The Quest For the 92

Ah, so it was a light hearted ‘ I’m only joking ‘ account of your trip to Liverpool. Obviously, l am the one with the problem. No sense of humour . That’s what that racist oaf, Boris Johnson , proclaimed when he branded Liverpool ‘ self pity city’ . As you said, every area of Britain such as Sheffield has got its dodgy areas, but l am too well mannered to insult the people of Sheffield by putting in print sarcastic negatives about the area that they come from. You wrote your account of your Liverpool visit. If people find some of it offensive, they have the right to voice their feelings. Isn’t that the way a forum works? What particularly pisses me off, is when you meet people on holiday , total strangers , who decide that because l have got a Merseyside accent, they then have got the right to tell ‘ scouse jokes’ . A mental note is then made that l am in the company of a gobshite, who hasn’t got a clue about Liverpool or its people. When you inform them in a calm manner , that what they have said is quite offensive, is actually racist, and that l am not and never been a thief, some have actually got aggressive, or you get the ‘I’m only joking ‘ garbage. I did think that this forum was free from stereotypical tripe, obviously it is not.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:12 pm 
Post subject:

Oh Lordy, where to start..... not wanting the thread to unravel into a playground spat, so if Pie, or anyone else wants to air their view on the offensive, racist (apparently) nature of said article perhaps it would be better if the conversation went private.

If there is anything to be said, send it via PM.

Everyone welcome, unless you're a fellow tight fisted Yorkshireman, in possession of a flat cap, a whippet, and an extra finger on one hand
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:09 pm 
Post subject:

Liverpool and Everton aren't the only grounds where local kids offer to mind your car. I've also had it at Aston Villa, Birmingham and Sunderland.

Nothing happens if you don't pay in my experience (although at Birmingham I did give the kid a pound, as he was so young and polite)
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:16 pm 
Post subject:

Oh and a complete arsehole at Ipswich who took exception to me parking in his residential (public) road near their ground. The funny thing was he denied an adjacent car was his, and he said 'why do you think it's my car?', and I said 'because it's got a Leyton Orient sticker on it, and you're wearing a Leyton Orient top!'

Needless to say we found another road to park in as the bloke had anger issues and it wasn't worth risking leaving our car there!!!!
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:07 pm 

Sharrow, I read your article about your 2 visits and, again, like before I was totally entertained, full of realism and taken as though I was really there with you guys. Backed by the reasoning for the visit, the problems encountered (eg.where to park safely), the search for the programmes/team sheets, the after match enjoyment, the arrival back home safely, loved it, and the involvement with your lads as a family group--this is football from a fans viewpoint, rarely seen in the media and to your eternal credit. Then you get sideswiped by this nice guy on Merseyside, or should I say across the water (from the Merseyside).

When I mentioned that I went to football matches he asked if I thought I was superior to those who did not---just a fact pal--I am not superior to anyone, you ask my wife!.
The silence from the majority on this forum is deafening--where are you?--the very basis of this forum is being attacked and you sit there and say nothing. I suppose you do not realise what this guy is doing or are you afraid to support a very important member on this forum.

If I said ---that when I go on holiday and people hear my accent they tell me jokes that are plain insulting, accusing me of stealing and how bad my area is you would tell me to shut up and go away--WHY--because I have just made it up---and the most important thing is you cannot prove different because there is no evidence--obvious!

Sharrow is correct, this guy is an extremist bringing politics into this arena---have you heard him talking about his football programme collection or his most valuable item--NO. He mentions items to comment on that you can look up on Google (other search engines are available) or some other matter that he has read in newspapers, ie opinion by others which he obviously agrees.

I feel it is about time you warned this person otherwise the real football guys who like to play a positive part in the matters that we wish to discuss etc will eventually withdraw and it will be downhill from then on.
In left wing politics all someone has to do is to say 'I am offended' and they do not have to explain why---that is what this guy hides behind---you cannot disprove his statements but you can, yourself be offended by his replies.

If this guy is balanced and sensible I look forward to some positive response, not to me, but to all of us, I feel he is following the mantra of others who like to be outrageous whilst pretending to be the voice of the many. My view is different because the people of Liverpool have a rare sense of humour, good knowledge of football and are friendly by nature, having worked with them for several years (and being the brunt of their humour--sometimes) it helped me to to stay grounded.

pompey gaz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:02 pm 
Post subject:

Scouse Scouse Scouse Scouse
pompey gaz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:10 pm 
Post subject:

Gotta agree with Topbid, carry on entertaining us on the forum with your ground visiting stories Sharrow, I can relate to them and it's great to hear other people's experience of getting to different grounds around the country
Keep it up ! !
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:57 am 

Just in case I missed something, I have read, re-read and re-read again Sharrow's piece on his trip to Liverpool to the extent that I feel like a proof reader!

Obviously there is something in there that Pie has taken offence to and he is entitled to his opinion.

I've been called a cockney all of my life and have no problem with it as I was born within the sound of Bow Bells making me a true cockney, but I have other Spurs mates, born in other parts of London, who took real offence to being called a cockney. Contrary to popular belief, we don't all run around dressed as Del Boy waving wads of money around.
I'm sure it's the same when being called a Manc, Brummie, Carrot Cruncher or Scouser etc. Some are ok with it, some aren't.

Sharrow has entertained us for a long time with his tales of his travels with the boys and I personally love reading them. (I still believe there is a book here Sharrow)
In my opinion, Sharrow's comments wherever he goes are balanced.....he takes the p**s out of every club and area equally!
Off the top of my head I can recall him being the only English speaker at Old Trafford a while back and I'm sure there was a photo at another ground of a bike chained up where the wheels had been nicked.

I also recall the excellent example he set and the respect he paid by taking the boys to a War Cemetery somewhere while on route to a match.

Keep the stories coming Sharrow.
stanley nick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:11 am 
Post subject: Quest for 92

Yeah having met Sharrow and his two lads on their crusade they have been nothing more than entertaining and inspiring
Keep the tales coming and the CRAIC THAT GOES WITH IT

HAVE A GOOD DAY

NICK
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 pm 
Post subject:

The way I see this is Sharrow's travelogue provides us with the most entertaining stories and anecdotes on this website.

I am born and bred a Croydon man and I don't carry knives and mug people at bus stops and I wouldn't like to be told that I did, but if Sharrow lumped me into that group in jest on a visit to Selhurst Park I'd probably laugh with (or more likely, at) them.

Our friend Flaming Pie has become one of the most interesting and amusing responders to many posts I (and others) have made and he, like all of us, is entitled to his opinion. We don't have to agree with him, same as we don't have to agree with Sharrow or anyone else. But we all have a right to say these things as long as they aren't racist, sexist or offensive to any other minority. And there's no foul language as far as I can see.

We can't afford to lose either of these guys from this website and I am looking forward to Sharrow's #68 - warts and all.
chelseachris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:05 pm 
Post subject:

I for one enjoy and look forward to your reports Sharrow, so please carry on and ignore the PC brigade.
bigearl79

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:14 pm 
Post subject:

No 77 done on Sunday at Sunderland. I'm still counting Wembley as Spurs home ground, and who know's how much longer that will be for lol. Very nice ground SOL, does remind me of Old Trafford. Can't really fault but it would be nice if they could put away fans closer to the pitch. Least it's not as bad as Newcastle in that respect. Like the jokes on the stairs on each level, sums up how friendly the whole day felt. Shame about the football though as a Scunthorpe fan lol. No new grounds with Scunthorpe as it stands, may try and squeeze another odd one in somewhere.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 22 of 27

Jump to: