Football Programmes Centre

The Quest for the 92
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Quest for the 92
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benno Spire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:33 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
Paul Johnson wrote:
Double header last weekend. did Stevenage v Hartlepool 6-1 on the Saturday then stayed at a mates house in Northampton Saturday night and went to the Northampton v MK dons match sunday 3-2 which was a very entertaining match.

Wimbledon v Sheffield Utd this saturday overnight stay at a mates house in Crystal Palace then watching Hull KR at London on the Sunday in Ealing.

good job i have an understanding missus Very Happy

Cracking effort...I have foregone the opportunity to go to Wimbledon on saturday because of a job that has come up on saturday night and the little un playing two games on Saturday at the Academy.

Next scheduled stop for the boys is 'The Valley'.

They'll be a magic mystery trip before that tho.

Keeping the Faith Nod

Very friendly fans at Wimbledon, nice bar at the ground
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:18 pm 
Post subject:

14 to go now.

just purchased tickets for:

Sep 24th Gillingham v Coventry City
Oct 8th Orient v Portsmouth
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 pm 
Post subject:

Just done Orient v Portsmouth today. 12 to go for the 92 Smile

Bournemouth v Hull city next Saturday
Karb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:54 am 
Post subject:

in my late teens and early 20s, I'd go to any game, anywhere, if Sunderland weren't playing. Then the lack of time and money associated with wives and children got in the way but, now divorced, I've done a couple of new ones this season on weekends when I'm not seeing the kids.

Went to Accrington Stanley yesterday. The 79th club I've seen play at home while a league club, though only 58 are current League grounds - 13 have moved ground since I was last there, 7 have lost League status, and Wimbledon, well I'm not sure how to account for Wimbledon!

Friendly club, but you have to wonder how they can survive on such paltry gates, or where they can get extra fans from, given their proximity to Burnley and Blackburn. Got chatting to a bloke in a pub a few minutes away from the ground who asked me if there was a match on as his sons usually meet him in the pub before a game and they weren't there. I saw him later, standing behind the goal, and had to wonder what sort of fan cares enough to go to the match but, with 45 minutes to go til kick off, doesn't know if they are even playing.
paulo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:03 am 
Post subject:

Not been on for a long time, but I am pleased to report I finished this quest at Accrington Stanley last season. I even got a mention in the programme, which was nice.

Then last week I topped back up to 92 at West Ham.

Will spend the rest of the season looking at the top of the conference and clubs moving, which I think are (at some stage):-

Scunthorpe
Wimbledon
Bury
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:41 pm 
Post subject:

Karb wrote:

Got chatting to a bloke in a pub a few minutes away from the ground who asked me if there was a match on as his sons usually meet him in the pub before a game and they weren't there. I saw him later, standing behind the goal, and had to wonder what sort of fan cares enough to go to the match but, with 45 minutes to go til kick off, doesn't know if they are even playing.

I had similar about 5 or so years ago at Dagenham & Redbridge. Palace's second string were playing an evening friendly there, and I took the tube about a million stops to get there! Must have been about a quarter past 7 in the evening when we got to the station by the ground, and one the walk to the ground a local person walked past in his suit and said was there a game tonight, I said yes but it's 7.45, he said oh good, I'll go to it then, after I've gone home first and had my dinner! There was only about half an hour to go till the game started!!
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:15 pm 
Post subject:

paulo wrote:
Not been on for a long time, but I am pleased to report I finished this quest at Accrington Stanley last season. I even got a mention in the programme, which was nice.

Then last week I topped back up to 92 at West Ham.

Will spend the rest of the season looking at the top of the conference and clubs moving, which I think are (at some stage):-

Scunthorpe
Wimbledon
Bury

Grimsby, Brentford and York city as well
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:42 pm 
Post subject:

York City moving?
In 1932 the club moved in about 3 months from the lease being signed to the first game.
In the 2000s we've been moving for over a decade and not a brick has yet been laid.........................................
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:00 am 
Post subject:

Bournemouth done today.

81 of the current 92 now completed
bigearl79

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:43 am 
Post subject:

73 done now as I did Charlton yesterday in the cup. Was due to do them in the League at the end of January. Very nice ground with lot's of history. Very much like Bradford, the three home end's are first class, whilst the away end could/should be better. Ticket prices were £10 for adults with the chairman subsidising the coach travel. This £20 fare was halved. Superb gesture and we ended up taking six coaches. Have done the full in League One now. Still in the EFL Trophy and only side we could visit that is new to me, is Morecambe. Youth team are in the cup second round at home, so could give me another ground. Beyond that, that's it for the season. Get up to the championship, and as it stands, I have eight grounds to do there.
DySporting

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:53 am 
Post subject:

I’m leaving for Maidstone soon which will be a new ground for me. I’m stranded in the 92 quest on 82. Taking photos for Rochdale every Saturday leaves me relying on cup draws for new grounds. The Hive is the only missing ground in the bottom 2 divisions, with Newcastle, Fulham and Brighton the only championship missing.
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:50 pm 
Post subject:

Did the Cheltrnham v blackpool game and then did a double header for the FA Cup games with Yeovil v Solihull Moors on the Saturdfay then Blackpool v Kidderminster on the Sunday.

Just 8 more to do now.
got tickets for:

19th Nov Oxford Utd v Coventry City
26th Nov Brentford v Birmingham city
coops

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:43 pm 
Post subject:

MINSTERMAN wrote:
York City moving?
In 1932 the club moved in about 3 months from the lease being signed to the first game.
In the 2000s we've been moving for over a decade and not a brick has yet been laid.........................................

Can't they play on the Knavesmire then they won't any bricks just a rope.
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:08 pm 
Post subject:

just done Brentford saturday against Birmingham city.

6 left to do now.

Double header in the FA Cup this weekend Carlisle Saturday and Bristol rovers on sunday
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:15 pm 
Post subject:

Ground No 55. Charlton Athletic. The Valley

Charlton nestled in South east London's sprawling Suburbia, which for anyone travelling from the North means 'bloody nightmare to get to'.

After an impromptu traditional visit for a photo shoot on Saturday morning to some non league ground, much to the bemusement of the locals at Godmanchester Rovers, we head down the M11. Flying in the face of convention I decline the more direct route of the Blackwall Tunnel and have a sortie to the east over the Dartford crossing and enjoy a relatively unopposed jaunt down the A2 to Greenwich.

Parked up, at the top of the hill less than a mile above the ground where parking is free, nice little side road. Lovely jubbly. We set off for the ground, and before long Macca has tripped twice over the pavements 'London needs to sort these out' he protests. Nobody else has a problem. We pass a hippy commune house hosting a party and are invited in, its a 'Goodbye Charlton' party, we decline the invite and head off to the Antigallican Pub, where the 'Sons of Waco' suddenly became far more appealing. We get ushered into the secluded function room, the VIP lounge, there's no seats, only benches and these have nails sticking out of them. Granted there was a television to look at which was a blessing because there wasn't any windows, the décor was meant to be monochrome, but it was black and mucky with open electric sockets everywhere, it hadn't changed since the 1880's when the decorator was Jack the Ripper. The toilets were 'no mans land', everyone was in the Ladies, People were seen going in but they never came out.

At the bar, there's a queue for the queue. There's a wonderful selection of Fosters or Guinness. There's a solitary bloke serving, until a buxom blonde arrived and then...... there was a solitary bloke serving as she started reading her text messages. Finally after 10 minutes she started to pour a Guinness, I say Guinness because it looked like slop from the Thames. Clearly this was going to be a process that required patience.

'What a shithole', I tell Dan not to use that kind of language, but he was right There's more attractive bars in downtown Aleppo. I'm asked 'if you were Djing in here Dad, where would you set up. 'Outside' came the reply.

At 2:15 we escape back into the outside world, where's there a heady smell of curry and horse manure on the high street. Its a short walk to the ground, where we are stopped numerous times and offered mini foam footballs and taxi's. 'Throw them on the pitch, please in the 1st minute' are the instructions from the Charlton protest group. Straight into reception, and back out with the team-sheets. At the away turnstiles,security is acting with unnerving diligence, the boys are set upon with zeal and are forced to relinquish all sponge footballs and taxi's, meanwhile I'm unopposed and walk in with sponge balls, taxi's, tangy-tastics, Flares and an AK47. I head to the toilet block.

'What a shithole' I warn Dan again about his language, but its a hollow reprimand because, he's right, they're ideally built at a push for about 10 people, not 3000, and there are some ugly people in there who are awful at singing.

Things are improving, the away end is raised so the views good and we're located about 10 ft away from the back of the net on the third row. the familiar sound of the 'Skids' 'Into the valley Betrothed and divine' is blasting out from the Tannoy system, which unusually for a football ground was clearly audible. It made a welcome difference to the 'knees up mother brown' dirge, that they indulge with down the road at Millwall.

The game is held up after the opening 10 seconds due to the expected deluge of sponge balls and taxis, and an AK47 thrown onto the pitch. When the game restarts, We dominate, we score, we miss chances we get caught with a late sucker punch and we leave with a draw.

On the way back up the hill, Macca trips over the pavement flags a further three times, strange.....nobody else has a problem.

Programme: £3
Pint: £4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pompey gaz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:00 pm 
Post subject:

Shame that the valleys gone down the pan ,sharrow ,I remember back in the early 90s when they played Pompey in the first game back at the valley , they couldn't do enough for us and they asked us back to their local for a party, not a cross word said by either side , happy days
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:57 pm 
Post subject:

pompey gaz wrote:
Shame that the valleys gone down the pan ,sharrow ,I remember back in the early 90s when they played Pompey in the first game back at the valley , they couldn't do enough for us and they asked us back to their local for a party, not a cross word said by either side , happy days

To be fair Gaz, the Clubs fans, staff and stewards were all fine, not quite sure what's going on at boardroom level tho, just need the toilets sorting out. Its a proper ground, just a pain to get to Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:47 pm 
Post subject:

Went to the Valley for a night game just after they returned in the 90's. The toilets were in a far distant corner some three miles from the grandstand (or so it seemed) and we had to 'hike' across an unlit minefield to get to them. I fell over twice on the way to the bog and three times on the way back - a bloody nightmare but made all the better by us nicking a 1-0 win.
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:44 pm 
Post subject:

Last weekend produced some driving. Did Carlisle v Rochdale on Saturday and Bristol Rovers v Barrow on Sunday.

Just 4 left to do now to complete the 92.

ticket arrived for West Ham v Hull city on 17th.
Going to Southend v Charlton on New Years Eve then ends on Friday 10th Feb Newport v Doncaster and Plymouth v Exeter the following Day.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:20 pm 
Post subject:

Paul Johnson wrote:
Last weekend produced some driving. Did Carlisle v Rochdale on Saturday and Bristol Rovers v Barrow on Sunday.

Just 4 left to do now to complete the 92.

ticket arrived for West Ham v Hull city on 17th.
Going to Southend v Charlton on New Years Eve then ends on Friday 10th Feb Newport v Doncaster and Plymouth v Exeter the following Day.

Was good to meet you at Rovers on Sunday Paul.
Shame we were so crap.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 19 of 27

Jump to: