Football Programmes Centre

The Quest for the 92
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Quest for the 92
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senior82

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:55 am 
Post subject:

Also managed to get to Eintracht Frankfurt II & FSV Frankfurt's stadium - the Frankfurter Volksbank Stadion. A modern build, small but tidy and functional. I'm also hoping to be one of the 1100 Owls fans that makes the journey to Southport, for our latest humiliation, broadcast live to the nation in HD.
paulo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:47 pm 
Post subject:

Getting a new one in myself tomorrow. Cardiff's new ground. Will get me up to 81/92 again. Its nearly in site. Doubt Ill get anymore with Norwich this season though as this is the only one in our division I have not done. Will look to take in at least one more this season somewhere to get me within 10.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:47 pm 
Post subject:

News filters through to Wigan about United's 0-0 draw at Coventry.

http://thumbp3.mail.vip.ird.ya.....;fid=Inbox

Sorry, haven't worked out how to get a decent sized picture on here let. I'm a bit thick to be honest.

Next Stop, Turf Moor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
paulo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:12 pm 
Post subject:

How many you up to now Sharrow? I am at Chesterfield in a couple of weeks which will get me up to 82.
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:14 pm 
Post subject:

I think 72 wouldn't be too difficult but the premiership games are now a moving target Laughing

I really would like to have a go.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:43 pm 
Post subject:

paulo wrote:
How many you up to now Sharrow? I am at Chesterfield in a couple of weeks which will get me up to 82.

82 eh, the way it's going, I think if I ever get to that many I will be receiving a telegram from the Queen...

It's been a strange old few months, when i started this thread in the summer we'd just been to Notts County, this made 12.

Since then apart from a couple of United home games, the lads have revisited Doncaster & Grimsby, and been to

13. Hull, (Free, courtesy of Matt Duke, the Hull goalie, good lad)
14. Everton (£25)
15. Wigan. (£25) So its now 15.

Burnley is up next, a week on saturday.

We are averaging one a month this season which is ok as I didn't want it to become a chore for the lads.

Then there's the cost: Its prohibitive to say the least.
Ticket offers for the first half of the season have been a little bit thin on the ground. Some of the lower division clubs are fine, like Accrington, Northampton, you're talking £20, and the little uns free, it's just finding the time to fit them in.

Then there's the other end of the spectrum, you mention Chesterfield, 10 minutes from where I live. If I went with the little un's, and sat in the wings of the main stand at Chezzie, it would cost me something in the region of £41, in the middle of the stand £49. This is League 2 Football for god's sake. The cheapest option at Chesterfield would be in the family stand at £29 but that's always full, and it's still too much.

I'd like to see United away more often, but again you get charged full whack. Next away game Ipswich £31 for me £11 each for them. So that's £53 before we've even set off. Then throw in your petrol to suffolk & back (I hate to think what that might be nowadays).

I don't think they'll be seeing the charms of Portman Road just yet, and many others beside. I think I'll save me £100 or so.

Or I could go and get, tickets in the away end at Chelsea for me and the lads £95. Nice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
mark01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:34 pm 
Post subject:

hi Sharrow

Completed the 92 in 1985 and finished the whole lot again in 2009 with my 21 year old son in tow. It took me 20 years to do it the first time round and 10 years the second time.

Got to go to Chesterfield to keep my record up to date (by the way whats the parking like at the ground)?

Altogether I've done 153 different League grounds, taking into account all the new ones.

One record I'd like to achieve is seeing my club, Bristol City play away at all 92 clubs - Im 5 clubs short at the moment and theyre all in League 2 at the moment so unless we get drawn against them away in the FA or LC I've got no chance.

I agree with you regards the prohibitive costs of tickets these days thats why I follow non league now.

By the way only got Blyth, Harrogate,Guisley and Boreham Wood to do and thats the Blue Square prem, north and south done. Think I'll have a crack at the Welsh prem next season!!!

regards, Mark

[/b]
paulo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:59 pm 
Post subject:

Its taken me about 20 years to get to 81/92 as I have lost about 25 on the way through clubs moving and getting relegated.

I agree about the cost of football as I was once a 40 games plus a season man. Not anymore and now I am out of the habbit of following Norwich away I think its lost forever. I am only doing 5 or 6 this season and we are making sure we have a good day out.

The last 10 are going to be a challenge as once Aldershot and Oxford are out the way I have some really long hauls left to do.

Good luck mate, there has to be a time when football clubs in the lower leagues realise that to get the fans of the future in they almost need to let them in for free. Norwich did it 10-15 years ago and now look at the gates we get!!!!
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:25 pm 
Post subject:

mark01 wrote:

Got to go to Chesterfield to keep my record up to date (by the way whats the parking like at the ground) [/b]

To be honest mate, I try to avoid Chesterfield on a match day and I haven't been to the new ground yet (just need to have a word with one of the players who shall remain nameless to get a few freebies). So I can't really comment.

Saturday nights were always ok, especially the women, folklore has it that the crooked spire is not the result of the wrong untreated wood being used, but that one day the devil was passing and was tired, and came to rest on the steeple. Whilst, resting he spotted a virgin, and was so surprised that he fell off the roof and that his tail caught round the steeple and twisted it.
Wink

By the way cracking effort with the grounds, I think one day I ought to count the ones I've actually been to.
giorgio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:37 pm 
Post subject:

I finally visited the last of my 92 in December. Have sent off my forms to join the 92 club over 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. No reply to email either. Does anyone have any info or phone number for this club?
Also, with friends and family in Holland, Germany and Italy, am gradually building up the amount of foreign grounds visited. Is anyone else doing continental grounds?
mark01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:57 am 
Post subject: ninety two club

hi giorgio

The secretary of the club, Mike Kimberley, should be able to help you, his email address is [email protected]
giorgio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:03 pm 
Post subject: Re: ninety two club

mark01 wrote:
hi giorgio

The secretary of the club, Mike Kimberley, should be able to help you, his email address is [email protected]

Thanks. That's different to the one on their website. I'll give it a go.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:06 am 
Post subject:

It's 20 years since I've been to Burnley, and that ended in acrimonious circumstances in the car park at Magnet & Southerns when I tripped over some timber on the back of my artic and fell off the back. I'd heard of goods falling off the backs of lorries but never the driver.

Car Parking was only £2, next to the bus station, but here I made my first error of judgement, after lifting the lads over the railings to exit the station I then attempted to hurdle them, completely misjudged it, gave my right knee a right clout, stumbled on landing and pretended everything was hunky dory to the mild amusement of the locals.

As I limped down Yorkshire street, we met Bananaman!

Things now started to go downhill. Tried the Hargreaves, and McIlroy stands, no programmes, no teamsheets...nothing. In we went, McKenzie hands his ticket over, to the bloke in the turnstile, a man who had the touch of a rapist and promptly tore his ticket in half. Nice one.
As usual, somebody is sitting in our seats, to which I now make my second mistake of the day, I ask them to leave, I wish I hadn't because I'm now sat infront of the 'Chav Squad'. 10 minutes into the game, and all I've heard from the lad behind me, who was still some years from having his voice break is a constant monotone of 'F**k Off' and 'FFS', no other phrases or words appeared to be in his vocabularly. Lovely! Suddenly I began to wish I'd had gone to 'the sty'.

Mindful that I have two little ones with me, I politely ask him to refrain from using such language which to my surprise I don't hear another peep from him all game. We therefore proceed to watch the Chris Eagles show, in a much more civilised manner. A decent game to be fair.

Afterwards, as I trudge disconsolately out of the ground, at the thought of no programme, and no teamsheet, I pass the reception to the Bob Lord Stand, and thought I'd take the chance and here is where things took a turn for the better. The old girl behind the desk was a real star, customer relations at it's best. 2 teamsheets and a programme fetched from the executive suite, all free of charge, with the advice 'don't let anyone see you with one of them or you might get mugged' She may have been joking, but I detected a hint of truth about this statement.

My faith in human nature restored, we meet bananaman again looking lost in the middle of the road, Bizarre yes, but the boys found him funny.
Even the Robin Reliant was still in one piece. 10 minutes to get out of town and were heading home.

League Ground No 16, for the boys. Next stop....Chesterfield ???

Last edited by sharrowblade on Wed May 02, 2012 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juanjo33

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:08 am 
Post subject:

Done two new ones so far this season in Hull (v Forest) and Chesterfield (when Scunny v Forest was postponed), to take me to 86/92, or 120 league grounds in total.
Also been to games at Queen of the South, the Aviva Stadium in Dublin and Jan Breydel Stadium in Bruges, while planning Ajax in March, if I can get a ticket at less than 100 Euros!

May try and get one or two more League grounds in by the end of the season (Have a spare days holiday and a Tuesday night game at Dagenham is tempting, as is a Saturday by the sea in Morecambe), then I'll have Brighton to add next season.

Saving Arsenal till the end (unless Forest go up!), and not keen on giving MK Dons any of my money unless it's watching Forest.
tcno10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:04 am 
Post subject: 92

sharrowblade wrote,

but here I made my first error of judgement, after lifting the lads over the railings to exit the station I then attempted to hurdle them, completely misjudged it, gave my right knee a right clout, stumbled on landing and pretended everything was hunky dory to the mild amusement of the locals.

worth the entrance fee alone in my opinion!!!
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:15 am 
Post subject: Re: 92

tcno10 wrote:
sharrowblade wrote,

but here I made my first error of judgement, after lifting the lads over the railings to exit the station I then attempted to hurdle them, completely misjudged it, gave my right knee a right clout, stumbled on landing and pretended everything was hunky dory to the mild amusement of the locals.

worth the entrance fee alone in my opinion!!!

You know me mate, always had trouble getting my leg over.

Used to have the same problem, 25 years ago on Arundel Gate, getting from the Claymore to the Mulberry.
BertD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:20 am 
Post subject:

Juanjo33 wrote:
Saving Arsenal till the end (unless Forest go up!), and not keen on giving MK Dons any of my money unless it's watching Forest.

Good man! We call it the 91 Club down here ... Clap

Last edited by BertD on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
STEEL_CITY_SMOGGY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:23 am 
Post subject:

A good application here for anybody who wants to keep an easy record. You can upload your own pictures and reviews too Thumbs Up

http://www.footballgroundmap.com/

Interested in any boro teamsheets or tickets home/away any comp from 1995-present.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:27 pm 
Post subject:

Following on from Smoggy's football map, the one I use is: Doing the 92 (there is another one Doin' the 92) but this is the one I use:

http://www.doingthe92.co.uk/default.asp?Step=1&ID=1

Enter the match and it automatically brings up the, score, goalscorers, time of scorers, attendance etc etc. Great for anyone wishing to retrace those games that you've been to in years gone by.
It automatically keeps a record of all grounds that have been visited, non-league as well, and all current 92 league grounds visited.

It has a cracking database, featuring statistics of all sort, League tables and results since 1888, Club's average position, years at grounds, former players etc etc.

Thumbs Up SB
paulo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:06 pm 
Post subject:

Chesterfield for me tomorrow so that will get me to 82/92.

Report to follow.

Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 3 of 27

Jump to: