Football Programmes Centre

Carlisle 2010/11 Programmes £1
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Carlisle 2010/11 Programmes £1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:54 pm 
Post subject: Carlisle 2010/11 Programmes £1

Carlisle Utd matchday programmes this season will be £1. Shocked

http://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10361~2104535,00.html

It will be interesting to see if other clubs employ their initiative. Personally I think it's a good idea.
Frampton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:06 pm 
Post subject:

we tryed giving out a free one when we played cardiff and got smashed but most off them ended up flying at chopra, interesting idea though
paulo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:17 pm 
Post subject:

I like the idea a lot. Programmes have become to bulky and full of ads these days. If NCFC did the same I would go back to buying them every game.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:57 pm 
Post subject: Carlisle 2010/11 progs

I'd love to see the day when clubs reverted to smaller, thinner and cheaper progs.

Clubs could issue a magazine every so often for all the glossy stuff as some clubs do now.

I still buy current season issues to keep my complete post war set uptodate but storage is becoming a serious problem.

Blackpool's programme is set to go back to £3.50 and if that is the standard price in the Premier next season that's £133 just on progs alone.
kcs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:03 pm 
Post subject:

I really like the idea behind this and the Director quoted in the report has basically backed up what a lot of people within the hobby have stated for the last 5/10 years.

I hope Carlisle supporters and programme collectors support this venture and make it feasible for the club.

Being a little naive in the business sense of the matter I would assume they would have to sell at least 3 times the amount they currently do to make it worth while.
Also interesting to hear that matchday sales are falling and the reasons behind them....

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:44 pm 
Post subject:

It’s ironic they are launching this against Hibs as they did the exact same thing about 4 years or so ago, 16 pages for £1 and I believe sales plummeted and the concept was eventually abandoned and Hibs now issue a “normal” sized programme.
Wullie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:58 pm 
Post subject:

I like the idea myself. I was looking at a programme from the premiership last season and 95% of it is dull boring stuff. As the Carlise guy says, most information can be found on the internet. A cheap , quick , interesting read at half time is what most fans would wish for. Personally i find a youth team players preference of music, pretty dull. Of course there is not a cat in hell's chance of this happening in the premiership, but if it catches on in the lower leagues i might even be tempted to buy some myself...

Last edited by Wullie on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
CarlisleUtdMem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:33 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
It’s ironic they are launching this against Hibs as they did the exact same thing about 4 years or so ago, 16 pages for £1 and I believe sales plummeted and the concept was eventually abandoned and Hibs now issue a “normal” sized programme.

My thoughts exactly! I imagine sales will be high for the opener against Brentford and possibly the next match then drift off. At the end of the day if no one buys the similar sized/priced productions for JPT games why will they suddenly start for a normal league fixture.

The club has also tried (and failed) to produce a magazine, so once the first few are out of the way I'd say that won't sell either.
Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:00 pm 
Post subject:

Maidenhead United (of the Blue Square South) produced a 32 page programme for £1 last season after continual poor sales when the issue cost double that price.

And although the club saved money as printing costs were vastly reduced they still didn't sell that many more programmes even at £1.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:16 pm 
Post subject:

I can see two major downsides to this one of which could have far more more reaching effects than appears at first glance.

Firstly, a flimsy 16 page effort, may be cheaper and less bulky for storage than current modern day 80 odd pagers but they are difficult to keep in a decent condition.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, is this the beginning of a revolution in the lower divisions with clubs heading down the rugby league route?

For the last two seasons the teams below the superleague have subscribed to a central fund that produces a match day programme (Game On) for that weekend's fixtures. It was an idea to help clubs prevent against losses from printing too many programmes.

Individual clubs can still produce their own seperate club issue, (if they want) but for the majority whether you are at Hunslet, Sheffield or wherever you'll be reading the same programme as everybody else. Each addition has a page previewing each match in the Rugby league Championship, it's a decent read, but it has meant that your club tends to lose its identity when it comes to programme collecting.

Personally, I'd rather football clubs look at reducing the cost of watching football.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Wullie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:41 pm 
Post subject:

The sale of a general programme to cover all games would be terrible. Having said that, the football league review in the 1970s inserted to most programmes was similar in the idea. With the passage of time , these reviews make very interesting reading, whilst the programmes themselves seem pretty much boring today. Maybe a 16 page programme along with a league review inside wouldn't be such a bad idea.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: