Football Programmes Centre

Scanning programme covers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Scanning programme covers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smk06

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:59 am 
Post subject: Scanning programme covers

Can anyone give advice as to which are the best scanners for scanning in programme covers/pages? Looking to make a start on cataloging my collection over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:36 am 
Post subject:

Any A4 sized scanner these days will be more than adequate for the job, personally I have an HP printer/scanner that also can copy documents, and you can also hook up cameras directly to it to download pics, was less than £150.
BertD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:53 pm 
Post subject:

Steve, I'd suggest that most scanners would suffice, I use an HP all in one (printer / scan / fax) that I paid about £50 for a couple of years ago (almost as expensive as the two ink cartridges that came with it cost to replace!). Far more important in my mind is the software. I've had several scanners previously whos software didn't support multiple scanning. I can't vouch for any other combination, but I currently scan using the HP scanning software from IrfanView, which supports the TWAIN connection most modern scanners use.
Plymouthargyleseller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

Hi there derby fan
Canon CanoScan 4400F Scanner
4800 x 9600dpi
Built-in 35mm film and slider adapter
QARE Level 3 dust/scratch removal
7 EZ buttons
Advanced Z-Lid - Scan thick documents
1 Year Warranty
Love
Ann Orack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:23 pm 
Post subject:

Steve i can see your original post is a few weeks old. I don't know how far you've got but speaking from experience the faster the scanner the better and consequently more expensive.

I've scanned my post war Sheff Wed collection (some 3800 programmes). I started by using an relatively old epson and then upgraded to Canoscan 8800f. It slashed the time per scan quite dramatically. Software provided allows multiple scans and is very easy to use

What do you intend doing with the scans? If you are thinking of printing them I'd recommend Photoslate. It costs a few quid but allows you to design the layout of a page and then automatically drop the scans onto the page and it does the rest. Its far easier than creating a matrix in word since I think you'd have to place the individual files onto the page.

Also consider the resolution since this will affect scan speeds. I'm no expert but people suggest 96dpi for webpages but I scanned mine in 300 dpi which is slower but gives more flexibility if you need to print bigger images.

If you ever get to Hillsboro pop into Richard Letts programme shop on Leppings Lane and have a look at the Anoraks Guide to Wednesday programmes. This is the book of some 310 pages showing all but 7 programmes from Wednesday games from 45/46 to 09/10.

Regards Chris Edwards
matt blue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:00 pm 
Post subject:

I have recently started to do this and i would recomend getting a scanner that can scan as quick as poss - this is a massive job, well it is for me....ive thousands of city programmes
smk06

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:43 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I haven't decided exactly what I want to do with the scans yet but a possibility is for a Derby programme website as there are many fine examples of other club programme websites designed by members of this forum.

A fast scanner that can handle multiple scans is probably what I'll be going for as my collection is getting larger by the week. I'll update on which one I get as and when I save enough money!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: