Football Programmes Centre

Book
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Book
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolascustard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:41 pm 
Post subject: Book

Mr Marmite (Robbie Savage) has wrote a autobiography its out 1st week in august.Anyone planning on reading it.
I will be buying a copy the only reason is because he has played for Derby and still is otherwise i wouldnt have touched it.
I loathed the man when he first joined but he has grown on me and the stories i have heard what he has done for people has made me realise he can be a alright bloke.
Anybody else going to have a copy?
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:50 pm 
Post subject: book

His bigest regret career wise .....not signing for Everton.
smk06

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:37 pm 
Post subject:

Just preordered off Amazon. Interested to read about what has happened behind the scenes during his time at Derby!
coolascustard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:10 pm 
Post subject:

Rather than start another thread a offshoot of this another book due out
4th october is a book called For petes sake it is wrote by Wendy Dickinson she is the daughter of the second half of a legend Peter Taylor.
She has wrote a book because so many have been made about Brian Clough.
She thought it was time a book was wrote from peter side.
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:58 pm 
Post subject:

coolascustard wrote:
4th october is a book called For petes sake it is wrote by Wendy Dickinson she is the daughter of the second half of a legend Peter Taylor.

Will be getting that one then!! Sadly its about 2 weeks late for my holiday this year though Sad
lambie the leap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:52 pm 
Post subject:

Robbie Savage? Why give money to that talentless apology for a footballer whose only function was to wind uo opposition supporters and commit as many fouls as he could until he got a yellow card when he would promptly 'disappear' from the game. This idiot epitomises all that is wrong with modern football. Leighton James summed him up perfectly.
coolascustard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:36 am 
Post subject:

lambie the leap wrote:
Robbie Savage? Why give money to that talentless apology for a footballer whose only function was to wind uo opposition supporters and commit as many fouls as he could until he got a yellow card when he would promptly 'disappear' from the game. This idiot epitomises all that is wrong with modern football. Leighton James summed him up perfectly.

He is a prize idiot and does wind you up even his own fans.
As i said if he hadnt had anything to do with Derby i wouldnt touch it but seeing ias i collect anything Derby and i want to see what cracked off with him and Jewel.
smk06

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:07 am 
Post subject:

I think a lot of footballers are guilty of having 'white line syndrome,' where a decent person can turn into someone else on the football pitch. I couldn't stand Savage before he joined Derby but I've heard a lot of rumours that he may not be such a bad guy after all. I'd like to read for myself and find out more about the player and my club then decide.

And if it's **** it's going on sale back on Amazon!
goonerboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:50 pm 
Post subject:

lambie the leap wrote:

What did leighton James say about him ?
James

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:54 pm 
Post subject: Re: Book

coolascustard wrote:
Mr Marmite (Robbie Savage) has wrote a autobiography its out 1st week in august.

Like any football player is capable of writing a book, they just get someone to talk to their family and former teammates and then make loads of money whilst the poor sap who wrote it gets a few quid..
matt blue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:20 pm 
Post subject:

[quote= Leighton James summed him up perfectly.[/quote]

Being polite Leighton James is a prick though !!
stodin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:29 pm 
Post subject:

I think the Robbie Savage one will be well worth a read, from what I know of him (from people who know him) he is a proper nice guy off the pitch apparently.

As for the peter Taylor one that is deffo one I will be buying, not enough has been written about him and I think it will be a good read, although somewhat biased as it is written by his daughter.

I keep trying to get 'Sammy' Chapman to write his book but I have had no luck ... so far
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:34 pm 
Post subject: Savage

It's a strange thing that some of the footballers regarded as complete nutters on the pitch are the exact opposite off it, Savage being a prime example. Have read about him having his own sports foundation somewhere in Africa to genuinely help really disadvantaged kids out, and it's all done without any publicity. I reckon it speaks volumes about the guy...
Posh1959

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:54 pm 
Post subject:

lambie the leap wrote:

Just the kind of comment you would expect from a Burnley fan. probably just jealous. He was worshiped at Ewood Park and rightly so. He always had time for a chat with the fans and always gave 100%.
smk06

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:57 pm 
Post subject:

I agree with Auchinleckian. Not sure if there is any scientific evidence but I keep hearing about 'white line' syndrome, where some players behave like animals on the pitch but off it they're decent people. Maybe for some players it is the type of mentality needed to succeed at the highest level.
BertD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:36 am 
Post subject:

I suspect Robbie Savage is one of those players who you can only appreciate when he's playing for your team.
Rocky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:50 am 
Post subject:

coolascustard wrote:

To those people who may be interested, Wendy Dickinson is been interviewed this evening on BBC Radio Tees talking about her book which focusses on Peters career. You should be able to pick it up via the BBC I Player starting from 18.00hrs. Ali Brownlee is the presenter.
coolascustard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:49 pm 
Post subject:

Managed to get an advanced signed copy of For Petes Sake Let you know what i think.
lambie the leap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:25 pm 
Post subject:

matt blue wrote:
[quote= Leighton James summed him up perfectly.

Being polite Leighton James is a prick though !![/quote]

Being a Cardiff fan you would think that as Taffy is a Jack (and a Claret) through and through and he hates Cardiff. He is a friend of mine, and in 47 years of supporting Burnley he is the best player I've ever seen in a Claret shirt. I think your choice of word is unfortunate to say the least.
lambie the leap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:29 pm 
Post subject:

Posh1959 wrote:
lambie the leap wrote:

Just the kind of comment you would expect from a Burnley fan. probably just jealous. He was worshiped at Ewood Park and rightly so. He always had time for a chat with the fans and always gave 100%.

Jealous? You're having a laugh mate. All my Blackburn supporting mates are of the same opinion as me - Savage is a talentless apology for a footballer whose contribution to Rovers cause was negligible. Speak to Richard Dinnis and see what a professional coach thinks about him.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: