Football Programmes Centre

Hi folks
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hi folks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gang-warily

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:44 pm 
Post subject: Hi folks

My first post:
I collect Arsenal programmes from pre 1953, the earliest I have is 1930, so maybe I should say 1930-1953 (there, just saved myself a fortune!). But I also collect England rugby international programmes from pre 1960 (the earliest I have is 1927).
Obviously the earlier programmes are harder (and more expensive!) to get hold of than more modern programmes so I can't boast a massive collection like many of you, somewhere between 100 and 200 in all.
andy1966

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:46 pm 
Post subject:

Do you have anything post 53?
gang-warily

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:04 pm 
Post subject:

Actually, yes, some odds and sods that I don't really consider part of my "real collection". Mostly Aresnal games I went to.
Also I have a mix of 200-300 programmes of lots of different 1st and 2nd div teams I bought as child in the 70s.
The only other thing of note I have is about 30 of the Arsenal double season of 71. Some mint, most not. These were bought off eBay a year or two ago when I found my way back to the hobby after collecting all sorts of things over the years (Funny how things can go full circle like that). I quickly realised I needed to 'tighten' my collecting focus or I'd be buying programmes every day!
ashburton-grove

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:16 am 
Post subject:

Welcome aboard.
Nice to see another Gooner, not many on here.
Do you collect the war years, these are my favourites, but some collectors won't touch them as they weren't official first team programmes. (plus they were played at the spurs!)
andy1966

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:27 pm 
Post subject:

I have a copy of Arsenal 47-8 for sale if you are interested. Unfortunately it has the score on the front in red pen. PM me if you are interested
Wullie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:46 pm 
Post subject:

Welcome gang-warily. Funny enough i stop my collection at the 1954/55 season. You lucky collecting Arsenal in that there are so many pre war about for reasonable prices. I must admit i don't like the look of your war time teamsheets played at Spurs. Too big and flimsy. I wonder if anyone can say why Arsenal pre war have has most rusty staples than any other club? In fact iv'e never seen one without rusty staples...
gang-warily

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:43 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, I do have 3 or 4 wartime AFC programmes. I know they weren't 'official' but I find them quite interesting, often with news of players who were on active service. If some people won't touch them that's fine, they can generally be picked up more cheaply as a result.
And that's a good point about Arsenal pre-wars being comparatively plentiful. Chelsea are quite readily available too. I assume that the reason for this is simply that attendances were so high that they printed more programmes.
JohnC

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:03 pm 
Post subject:

Welcome to the forum.

Thumbs Up
ForestMick

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:34 pm 
Post subject:

Welcome to the forum. That sounds like an interesting collection. I guess you don't have the problem that a lot of us have - thousands of programmes taking up half of the house! I suppose your collection will appreciate faster than most of ours as time goes on.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: