Football Programmes Centre

Graham Budd auction, September 6th/7th
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Graham Budd auction, September 6th/7th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:56 pm 
Post subject: Graham Budd auction, September 6th/7th

If anyone can let me know which dealer wins the following lots in the forthcoming Graham Budd auction on September 6th/7th, I’d be most grateful, as there are programmes in both lots that I would be interested in acquiring – thank you

Lots no. 1012 + 1023
New Forest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:13 am 
Post subject: Re: Graham Budd auction, September 6th/7th

Maidonian wrote:
If anyone can let me know which dealer wins the following lots in the forthcoming Graham Budd auction on September 6th/7th, I’d be most grateful, as there are programmes in both lots that I would be interested in acquiring – thank you

Lots no. 1012 + 1023

I am finding a lot, or is it all, auction houses are now combining a number of programmes together. It makes no sense. On Graham Budd they a have five programmes all pre war grouped together. I only need or interested in one. So I wont bother as I would end up with four I dont need. In the good old days any pre war programme would be listed on their own. Now you might get one listed with 40 others most of which are in the eighties.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:31 pm 
Post subject:

Same boat here, there are some very odd combinations in some of the lots where most of the programmes could/should stand alone. Puts you off bidding unless you're a dealer.
Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:07 pm 
Post subject: Re: Graham Budd auction, September 6th/7th

Maidonian wrote:

Lots no. 1012 + 1023

Does anyone know? Both lots sold.
ndg1860

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:41 pm 
Post subject:

As suggested before, the programme part of this auction was for dealers and two specifically were buying up a rather large amount of lots, both on the phone. I looked at three lots and only won one, but then the dealers felt it was too high for them. With the way some of the lots were put together, somewhat random it appears, it made it very hard for non-dealers to get interested to spend the money. I know the one lot today that I won has a rather large number of programmes that I will have to sell eventually, but the programmes that I did want, sort of outweighed the reasoning of leaving it to a dealer instead.

My guess is neither dealer is on here and if we want our items from the lots we missed out on, we will have to wait and also probably pay a lot more than what we would have paid had those items been available by themselves in the auction. (The two I missed were 1025 and 1045)
matt blue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:00 pm 
Post subject:

I thought that some of the prices today were very high, I was however very happy to get the Wales lot with the Switzerland v Wales 49 programme in it.

Take a look at my work in progress !!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:25 pm 
Post subject:

The lot with the 4 Scotland pre-war v Wales went for just short of £4k, the two Tynecastle games were rare, the Aberdeen game I'd never seen before.

The lot with the Switzerland v Scotland went for £440 which was pretty cheap considering the Swiss programme alone is a £600-800 programme all day long, very rare.

The lot with Finland v Scotland went for £900, the Finland alone could have commanded that, rarer than the Swiss one.

The Scotland lots could and should have been thinned out more to give people more of an opportunity (and the seller a better return).

I feel some of his mixed lots were poorly put together eg 1025 contained a pre-war FA Cup Final, a pre-war Corinthians, two French issues and South Australia v Palestine from 1939! I was interested in the latter but like ndg1860 couldn't justify the price v risk associated with selling the unwanted stuff and a dealer snapped it up instead.

A further two lots contained stuff I wanted, all from Australia, why not put the same country in one lot ?
tackler7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:35 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
The lot with the 4 Scotland pre-war v Wales went for just short of £4k, the two Tynecastle games were rare, the Aberdeen game I'd never seen before.

The lot with the Switzerland v Scotland went for £440 which was pretty cheap considering the Swiss programme alone is a £600-800 programme all day long, very rare.

The lot with Finland v Scotland went for £900, the Finland alone could have commanded that, rarer than the Swiss one.

The Scotland lots could and should have been thinned out more to give people more of an opportunity (and the seller a better return).

I feel some of his mixed lots were poorly put together eg 1025 contained a pre-war FA Cup Final, a pre-war Corinthians, two French issues and South Australia v Palestine from 1939! I was interested in the latter but like ndg1860 couldn't justify the price v risk associated with selling the unwanted stuff and a dealer snapped it up instead.

A further two lots contained stuff I wanted, all from Australia, why not put the same country in one lot ?

If the programmes were consigned by different sellers can they be mixed together in one lot?
ndg1860

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:44 am 
Post subject:

tackler7 wrote:

If the programmes were consigned by different sellers can they be mixed together in one lot?

There are some interesting problems here. For vendors, they would like to get the best deal possible for their lots and so intend to go to the auction houses that will give them that, those with the best reputation. GB is known for its high prices and good items and thus that attracts sellers.

Budd, though, has a problem. They are slow at auctions when compared to Sportingold, Stacey's and others. They ranged from 85-110 lots per hour this auction and also take at least an hour break at lunch. That means that the 1126 plus lots that were offered were placed over two days when the likes of Sportingold can get over 1500 lots completed in just one day. Thus, Budd needs to compile group lots, the likes of what I and others have already discussed and that means that in reality, unless you are willing to go for a compiled lot knowing you will have to sell a number of items in that lot just to get your one or two items, then a dealer will pick up that lot and you will probably have to pay more elsewhere for your items. It is the problem we, as collectors, have. If we have deep pockets and are willing to be semi-dealers, then we can compete with the dealers to get our few items and sell on the others.

For the seller, I think they really need to recognise that perhaps they are not getting the best deal when this happens. That said, in the current economic environment, any recompense may be worthwhile and thus the potential loss of earnings from the sale may be justified.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:08 am 
Post subject:

tackler7 wrote:

It's a fair point.

However, if you consigned a pre-war FA Cup Final, a pre-war Corinthians, two pre-war French club issues and South Australia v Palestine from 1939, would you expect them to be bundled together?

The only thing they have in common is that they are pre-war and if Budd's thought that was reason enough to bundle them together then they're really only catering for dealers and not collectors.
Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:21 pm 
Post subject:

ndg1860 wrote:
As suggested before, the programme part of this auction was for dealers and two specifically were buying up a rather large amount of lots, both on the phone. I looked at three lots and only won one, but then the dealers felt it was too high for them. With the way some of the lots were put together, somewhat random it appears, it made it very hard for non-dealers to get interested to spend the money. I know the one lot today that I won has a rather large number of programmes that I will have to sell eventually, but the programmes that I did want, sort of outweighed the reasoning of leaving it to a dealer instead.

My guess is neither dealer is on here and if we want our items from the lots we missed out on, we will have to wait and also probably pay a lot more than what we would have paid had those items been available by themselves in the auction. (The two I missed were 1025 and 1045)

Any chance of naming them so I know whose websites to check in the future?
tackler7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:02 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
tackler7 wrote:

It's a fair point.

However, if you consigned a pre-war FA Cup Final, a pre-war Corinthians, two pre-war French club issues and South Australia v Palestine from 1939, would you expect them to be bundled together?

The only thing they have in common is that they are pre-war and if Budd's thought that was reason enough to bundle them together then they're really only catering for dealers and not collectors.

I agree on the face of it it seems a strange combination but on the other hand these could have been the only four items consigned by that the vendor and it may have considered that they would sell better as a bundle than individually - or there wasn't time to list them all separately.
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 am 
Post subject:

Auction houses do not combine items from different vendors , if you have ever been to Mullocks , John Mullock sometimes combined lots together if one did not sell but only did it if it was the same vendor. Also auction houses do not name who won a lot (it may be against the law) , i have asked in the past and was told they could not do so , so naming people who won the lots on this forum may be illegal.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: