Football Programmes Centre

Peter Bonetti
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Peter Bonetti

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martino

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:01 pm 
Post subject: Peter Bonetti

Given the price Bonetti press photographs have sold for on E Bay, this lot in Staceys forthcoming auction could be interesting watching. Could be a good pay day for the vendor (not me unfortunately)

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/staceys-auctioneers-and-valuers/catalogue-id-srsta10249/lot-c9f56625-07fc-4b31-b2a6-ae9100e55cef
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:24 pm 
Post subject:

I think that bubble's burst, hasn't it?

Wasn't it just two collectors - each bidding silly money, now one has dropped out so prices not much different to any other press photo
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:56 am 
Post subject:

colchestersid wrote:
I think that bubble's burst, hasn't it?

Wasn't it just two collectors - each bidding silly money, now one has dropped out so prices not much different to any other press photo

They are both still active, but the penny seems to have dropped. Though one or two eBay traders are gutted. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
martino

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:18 am 
Post subject:

Drat. I was hoping to watch some fierce bidding.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:57 am 
Post subject:

That is not collecting, that is 2 mohrons with more money than any common sense looking to out doo the other one.

Both are sitting on photos of Bonetti that together they have paid £1000's for where as in reality they are nowt special, but neither will ever recoup the outlay, but i suspect neither care, as i said before that is not collecting it is just one upmanship over basically run of the mill press photo's.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
grantham

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:24 am 
Post subject:

Or it could be spite, if the same person is bidding on an item and you know roughly what they are willing to pay for said item, you make sure they pay top whack for it and you're not fussed that you didn't win it, because you know eventually another one will come along and you can get it for peanuts
overlap

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:07 am 
Post subject:

Some of those PB photos in the Stacey's lot were unsold on ebay for quite some time.
So either that niche market is dead, or both said collectors already have them.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:21 pm 
Post subject:

Like most of you guys, I've been on eBay for twenty-odd years, and I can honestly say the Peter Bonetti "press photo feud" is still the oddest thing I've ever witnessed on there. And I once saw a bloke trying to sell his wife!

Intelligent, grown men willingly paying a grand for something worth a tenner, repeatedly!!

If you relayed the tale down the pub you wouldn't be believed; nobody is that effing stupid they'd say. You're exaggerating or making it up, they'd say. Yeah right, that's the ale talking y'mad bugger, they'd say.

It must be the single most astonishing anomaly I've ever come across in all my years of collecting. Must have been great for the lucky sellers though.

Shocked

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:03 pm 
Post subject:

Back in 2015 I had a few PB photos in a batch I got at an auction, not sure how the other guys missed them, but as a result of that I put the three of them on Ebay and saw the immediate benefit. However, since then, I've got to know both of these guys better, and now refuse to deal with eBay as a vendor no matter what it is. Thus if I get any PB photos (which I did as recently as March) I contact one of them and state my price - if he doesn't want them as he's impecious or has it already, I'll then contact the other one. This time, the first one wanted all 3 so he had them and paid a fair price for all 3. At least, I think it was fair, considering what I paid for them. Next time (if there is one) I'll try the second buyer first. Fair's fair.

And on average my price was lower than the price that one currently on eBay at £22, now stands with 2 days to go. And this one is only 8x6", without a press stamp, and is a rear view of the sprawling Cat.

My 3 were the optimum size, 10x8", frontal or side views, and fully press stamped, like this:-

Anyhow, below is the Ebay one, and it will be interesting to see where it ends up. The seller, praise be to him, started it at £2.99.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304492120927

Anyway, as I said, I have got to know both guys pretty well over the years. In dealing with them individually it's hard to work out exactly what happens when the blue touchpaper is lit. I guess we've all been there at some point in our collecting lives, but probably not to the extent that these two repeatedly reached. As Wiggy says, nobody would believe you if you mentioned it down the pub.
se20blue

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:25 pm 
Post subject:

£133 !!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:53 am 
Post subject:

Astonishing really, 8x6", unstamped, and a partial view of PB at a bad angle. I have no idea who the buyer and underbidder are, I doubt it's one of the two infamous guys as one has set a limit on his purchases and that's almost £100 less than the price here. But it may be the other one, the one I sold three to recently at about 35% of this price for all 3, as he can't resist a Cat pic, obviously despite it being a bad one.

But that's one happy eBay vendor.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:51 pm 
Post subject:

Heres another PB photo that ended at the weekend, sold for £24.99 - 10x8" (optimum size), press stamp & label, good action with full view of PB, plus away team in great kit and a muddy pitch - ticks a lot of boxes - many more than last week's £133 job. I don't know who bought it but it would fit within the price limit of Buyer 2 and I would guess that Buyer 1 already has it. But I am guessing - without those 2 buyers there is no reason at all for PB photos to reach such prices. But seller (Forum member) chose his price and someone bit. Fair enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Press-Photo-19-11-1960-Chelsea-V-Manchester-City-Peter-Bonetti-/384917422637?nma=true&si=ZRLfFUhe6h%252BRRM75YFIDfofzMNY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
se20blue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:02 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Heres another PB photo that ended at the weekend, sold for £24.99 - 10x8" (optimum size), press stamp & label, good action with full view of PB, plus away team in great kit and a muddy pitch - ticks a lot of boxes - many more than last week's £133 job. I don't know who bought it but it would fit within the price limit of Buyer 2 and I would guess that Buyer 1 already has it. But I am guessing - without those 2 buyers there is no reason at all for PB photos to reach such prices. But seller (Forum member) chose his price and someone bit. Fair enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Press-Photo-19-11-1960-Chelsea-V-Manchester-City-Peter-Bonetti-/384917422637?nma=true&si=ZRLfFUhe6h%252BRRM75YFIDfofzMNY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Pete
The winner of this lot was the under bidder on the previous Ebay listing
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: