Football Programmes Centre

Anyone Know How To Clean ENAMEL BADGES?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anyone Know How To Clean ENAMEL BADGES?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:37 pm 
Post subject: Anyone Know How To Clean ENAMEL BADGES?

What the best method is to clean enamel badges. Soap and water won't cut it.

I've bought a set, and taken what I want, there are some that look like they have rust, others recent additions that look stained through poor storage. The rust I will bin, but does anyone know the best methods for cleaning the stained?
bee007

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:30 pm 
Post subject: Re: Anyone Know How To Clean ENAMEL BADGES?

GrestytheLion wrote:
What the best method is to clean enamel badges. Soap and water won't cut it.

I've bought a set, and taken what I want, there are some that look like they have rust, others recent additions that look stained through poor storage. The rust I will bin, but does anyone know the best methods for cleaning the stained?

Littlewiggy is probably the man with the best answers.
Alf Tupper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:37 pm 
Post subject:

I've always used lemon juice. I sqeeze half a lemon into a small dish and put the badge in either face down or face up depending which side is stained. I only leave it in the juice for 2-3 minutes and then use a toothbrush to gently remove any stain that may be left. I then rinse the badge extremely well with water and dry it with a tissue.

I have done this many times over the years and have never had any long term adverse effects. It is important to rinse the badge well. I suggest you try it on a cheap badge of little value first.

It works for me, but I cannot be held reponsible for any damage. Shake
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:46 pm 
Post subject:

Damp cloth & a little toothpaste. Trust me, the results are spectacular, Andrew. Here's one I did a while back ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:16 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Alf & Liam, both sound like great solutions.

This is something I thought I would never post on a forum, any type of toothpaste or is there one you recommend? I have Minty Fresh here, tried a couple, some came through, others need more time.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:22 am 
Post subject:

Any standard toothpaste is fine buddy, it contains a small bleaching agent which won't damage the badge, but will just lift off all the grime.

For badges that have a lot of ridges, I use a child's toothbrush (much softer bristles than an adult brush) with a tiny dab of toothpaste, just brush softly and this gets into all the tiny nooks & crannies & brings them up a treat. I've restored many a neglected, tired looking badge using this method. (see pics below of before & after)

Toothpaste is great for all kinds of things. I also use it to clean silver (medals, coins etc), and even to keep the outer soles of my trainers clean. Brings them up like new every time.

Thumbs Up

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:31 am 
Post subject:

PS. Alf is spot on, it's important you rinse & dry the badge thoroughly afterwards.

I rinse mine under the tap, dry it with a soft old t-shirt, then leave it propped up on it's side against something in a warm, dry place for an hour or three, just to make sure it's completely dry & free of moisture before storing it.

Just a little TLC is all these "sorry" looking badges need. The beauty is that you can pick them up cheap as chips too, because only a complete lunatic like me would think about cleaning them with the trusty Colgate. Usually, no other sod wants them because they assume they're wrecked.

(Damn! I've probably already said too much!!) Very Happy

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:04 am 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
PS. Alf is spot on, it's important you rinse & dry the badge thoroughly afterwards.

I rinse mine under the tap, dry it with a soft old t-shirt, then leave it propped up on it's side against something in a warm, dry place for an hour or three, just to make sure it's completely dry & free of moisture before storing it.

Just a little TLC is all these "sorry" looking badges need. The beauty is that you can pick them up cheap as chips too, because only a complete lunatic like me would think about cleaning them with the trusty Colgate. Usually, no other sod wants them because they assume they're wrecked.

Other toothpastes are available!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:09 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

Other toothpastes are available!

lol Very Happy Laughing

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: