Football Programmes Centre

2021/22 Matchbadges thread
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2021/22 Matchbadges thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:38 pm 
Post subject:

Cheers both.

Nothing from Mansfield this year, and the two previous years they just issued one large badge with all the opponents on it. Nothing individually.

I would imagine you're right, Gresty, about most badges selling on the actual match day, but there's always those who prefer to buy after the fact, due to being on the ale and not wanting to lose it, or simply can't be arsed because pre-match drinking time is more important, those that rock up late, or indeed those not there for the match at all.

How those "after-the-fact" buyers compare to actual match day sales I don't know, my guess would be 2/3s ratio on the day and poss 1/3 thereafter. Whether that's enough to justify their continued production I don't know?
Hope so.

Lower league match badges have certainly become scarcer than the Dodo since Covid swamped us all, though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:10 pm 
Post subject:

Depends what the match is, finals before, winning team normally only wants it after, losing teams have little interest.

matchday, depends how and where it is available post match, I'd say the split is higher before and on matchday depending on the occasion & circumstances.
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:06 am 
Post subject:

Last post on this thread for me for the season (probably)

Everton last night, just the one colourway version. Stallholder remembered me from all my visits over the years buying his 'sets' of badges which was nice

Date is the original match date, being a Prem game, that is a brave choice rather than just put the season on!

sorry pic is sideways, used a smartphone camera, as its much easier to upload from that to an email then to this site (compared to my normal camera)

As for yesterday, he's the boring old fart bit. Pre-match, huge numbers of Everton fans outside their Main Stand, waiting for their team coach to arrive. Probably a hundred smoke bombs set off. Large police presence did nothing, I guess 50 police in pairs can't stop 10,000 lairy noisy people.

Into the ground, have to say fair play, loudest noise / atmosphere I have heard from any fans at any game for years. Felt like every single fan was being noisy all game.

Has to be said the Everton fans got the team over the line for a 3-2 win (from 2-0 down)

When they scored the 3rd and probably 100+ ran on the pitch, a few with smoke bombs, we knew it was so highly charged we knew what would follow, a final whistle pitch invasion, and usually after that happens, an element of fans then head for the opposition fans to goad.

Despite the away seats being right by the away corner players tunnel, and my son wanting to hang around at the front in case a Palace player threw him a shirt (customary at the last away game) (and we did not have a 'beggy sign' before you ask), we thought, this is a perfect scenario to get the heck out of here. Everton fans were so high on adrenalyn, alcohol and a few something else, it was best to just get away!

When the ref added on 7 minutes of stoppage time, me, my wife and son thought 'sod this'. We knew they would all go on the pitch despite a ring of stewards and police.

With 2 mins of the added time left, we left the ground, and legged it to our car (parked on a driveway in the first side road behind their big club shop), the roads were deserted as half the ground went on the pitch, and the other half stayed in the ground to watch them.

Never got away from that city so quick (apart from after the Gerrard final home game against us at Liverpool), as it's usually gridlock

I usually hate evening northern away games because of how late we get home, but we were home at 1.45am, a journey of just 4 hours, and that included lots of roadwork speed limits on the motorways going home!

Thing is I don't want nets hanging up off the front of stands like they have abroad. I don't want 8 foot high steel fences at the front of stands. I especially don't want to be breathing smoke bomb fumes (there were dozens let off inside the ground yesterday) and I don't want players afraid that people just run on the pitch when they feel like it. Some punishments need to be threatened because the young generation now remind me of the young generation in the 1980s. I know we were all young once, but I thought we'd got past all this sort of thing. The police and stewards seem to be losing a grip on it at the moment.

I put up with hassle to from at at games as a teenager in the 80s, because I still loved watching the football and going. It's getting a bit tiresome now, all the what I'd call antisocial behaviour which seems to just be getting accepted, very little is done. Fans in groups can mouth off at individuals and nothing is done, inside grounds standing on seats, abuse of anyone they want, almost no respect. I'm probably an old boring person, maybe this is why people get to middle age and migrate to the usually calm and peaceful sheltered world of non-league!!

Maybe I'll be watching 5th tier football a lot more next season anyway. We'll see.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:01 pm 
Post subject:

Picked up this yesterday from Joe the badge man for my trip to Paris next week. Smile

Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:47 pm 
Post subject:

That's alright, nice one!
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 am 
Post subject:

(Sort of) on topic bit of news - Stanislav is safe and well (and still making his badges!). Isn't it great to know he's okay.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:43 am 
Post subject:

Wierdly, can't send pm's as the only computer I can log into this site from is my work one and it blocks (only) that!

So for wiggy's interest, here is his latest batch (Palace 21/22)

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:53 pm 
Post subject:

They look boss, mate, and I'm delighted to hear our friend is good & well.

Thanks for letting me know.

Thumbs Up

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:33 am 
Post subject:

I also can't start new threads(!!)

so bit of news for 22/23 matchbadges...

there will be no Wycombe match badges next season, as their home fixtures clash exactly with AFC Wimbledon's, and Terry's badges will be at the latter each week.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: