Football Programmes Centre

Have you 'collected' more or less over the last year?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Have you 'collected' more or less over the last year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:04 pm 
Post subject: Have you 'collected' more or less over the last year?

As we are at the 12 month anniversary of this pandemic and the various lockdowns, I wondered, have people been collecting more or less than usual?

Myself, collecting is like a habit that I keep up. I collect various things...

Palace home and away programmes, I have had to order online, as (with the exception of one match) I haven't been able to go to premier league games this season. This has been a bit of a hassle - Brighton sell theirs through their ticketing page, for which I needed an account, some clubs only put the programme online a few days before, others you can order months ahead, and then a couple were 'digital only, thank goodness for M60 doing quality printed versions of these!

Palace match badges have almost all dried up this season - with nobody at grounds, the badges just haven't been produced, with a very few exceptions, which I have picked up through contacts or ebay...

My sticker and card collecting has been pretty much unaffected over the last year, all the expected collections have come out at the usual times. The only real change in this collecting sphere is the increased costs of buying from abroad since the turn of the year because of Brexit...

And the non league club that I follow have produced programmes for almost all of their first team (competitive) fixtures. However these have been online versions (with the exception of the couple of games played wit crowds) and so Mark at printaprogramme has been my saviour on that front.

At much lower non-league games I went to in the Autumn there have been the odd game with 'no programme issued' (digital or paper), but it wasn't the end of the world for me, and I was still just happy to have games to go to.

So overall, although the odd minor hurdle, my collecting has remained largely at the same amount.

What about you?

Are you collecting more or less, and what are the reasons?

If you can't get to games, do you still try and get all the programmes?

Are you using this 'gap year' to concentrate on collecting older stuff, or old gaps in your collection(s)?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:24 pm 
Post subject:

After years of not buying any programmes, I've bought about 50 Palace aways 40's/50's from a couple of sources, decided to go for it as too many gaps in collection. Much happier with it now.

Last May/June it went mad on my PPP website, had 2 record months, and it's been pretty constant since then. One problem I have is getting new stock as I'm very reluctant to buy from auction houses without having a proper view. Other problem I have is I am now a full time carer so don't get the hours I need to do frequent site updates.

What I really miss is a day at the cricket. That, to me, is therapeutic and the chance to be with a mate or two and have a pint or several. To be honest, I haven't missed going to football at all, other than meeting a few mates before & after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:44 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for that Pete.

Forgetting the collecting angle, for me a huge part of my love of football is actually going to the games. I hadn't missed a single Palace home or away (competitive) game for 7 years before the first lockdown.

For me it's going with my family, the journey, a cafe or takeaway beforehand, getting in my seat early and reading the programme, and both catching up and talking football with the bloke that has sat next to me for more than 20 years.

Watching on tv was never something I had done much of - if I wanted to watch my team(s) I'm lucky enough that I'd go to the game (with the main exception of England 'abroad' games of course which I would watch on tv).

Most of my watching on tv was just the highlights on MOTD or seeing the goals on the news.

So I miss going to the game massively. Setting the alarm on a weekend because it's Burnley away and we need to leave before 8am etc

Buying the paper the next day and then putting it in the scrapbook if we won.

At the moment I can't even get to hobbycraft to buy a new scrapbook!

And as you know, Palace have been quite unwatchable for a fair number of games this season, which in some ways is even worse, although the opposite view is that at least I haven't missed many memorable games!

The amount of money I have saved by not going has been noticeable, and I haven't gone mad and spent it all on programmes or records or anything, but just thought it's a bit eye opening when the car does hundreds of miles less a month and the bank statement doesn't say Crystal Palace FC multiple times!

Last autumn, I did go to stacks of non league games - a bit of groundhopping, but mostly the same few home clubs near me, and whilst it was nice to go to a game, visiting clubs where you don't know anyone and you don't bump into any friends etc is pretty boring really.

So whilst the collecting has mostly ticked along for me, getting to games again will be something to really enjoy again. I can go to a really disappointing away game, but have still largely enjoyed my day. Okay not the buzz of a win, but still enjoying being a fan and all the matchday rituals!
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:51 pm 
Post subject:

I would say my personal collecting has remained at its usual level. We have continued to acquire programmes for BCD games and made more of an effort for teamsheets of these fixtures as it feels they take on greater significance at the moment.

I've always collected Hull City tickets and am always looking to add to that collection.

For eBay sales and our shop there has been a noticeable increase in sales with some of our best ever months in the past year so I woud say with people having more time at home there has been an increased in collectors looking to add to collections or plug gaps.
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

As someone who no longer collects programmes as they are to bulky now, I am spending about the same, as I am buying more out of the ordinary items to do with Leicester now (Handbooks the older the better, and match tickets but only from away Friendlies)

Obviously with not having to splash out on a season ticket I have saved something there, but the only disappointment for me is not being able to go to our Europa league away games in Europe after saving up, but I am more hopeful that if we can qualify for the champions league next season and European travel may be allowed we may be able to go.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:43 pm 
Post subject:

foxes1 wrote:
As someone who no longer collects programmes as they are to bulky now, I am spending about the same, as I am buying more out of the ordinary items to do with Leicester now (Handbooks the older the better, and match tickets but only from away Friendlies)

Obviously with not having to splash out on a season ticket I have saved something there, but the only disappointment for me is not being able to go to our Europa league away games in Europe after saving up, but I am more hopeful that if we can qualify for the champions league next season and European travel may be allowed we may be able to go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224356912400 Do you have this scrace item?

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
gatfb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:22 pm 
Post subject:

Less football items as I have not bought anything via live auctions for nearly a year now. Nothing to do with lack of interest but, there is nothing I've seen that I want enough, to then justify some of the prices I've seen items sell for.
Accies1874

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:57 pm 
Post subject:

As a collector of programmes only, my collecting has reduced quite a bit. Decided to call it a day with my Blackpool collection, although continue to fill gaps in my collection going back to 1946/47. It just seemed like the right time to stop with non-issues, digital issues, issues for season ticket holders only, etc.
My main focus is my Hamilton Accies collection, which I continue with but this has also been reduced with the amount of non-issues. As previously mentioned, I too massively miss going to games, especially the away day routine. I hadn't missed a Hamilton Accies home or away game for almost 18 years and I am now reduced to watching them on tv which for me is second best even when we win which isn't often.
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:28 pm 
Post subject:

Lockdown has reignited my collection bug after an ill fated loft clearance led to the discovery of my old collection and the catalyst to fill all the gaps. So ive thrown myself head first into it and went from a few hundred programmes to a couple of thousand in this last year in a bid to complete, as much as is possible, home and away since Stirling were formed.

Its a challenge of course with the collectors curse of when programmes were and weren't issued but enjoying trying to find out and talking to other collectors.

I do think when normality returns, the hobby, in general, will fall away a bit again, but i think Lockdown has shown that there is still a passion for it.

Jim
Bokbag

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:33 pm 
Post subject:

From my perspective I have definitely bought more. I have been very fortunate that working for the NHS I haven’t stopped working, plus my wife working at home and uni being remote the travel costs have gone down by nearly £200. Also there seems to have been an uptick in the number of programmes on eBay recently. I hope that’s because people have more time to sort. Although I fear it is also the case that some are struggling and are selling to raise funds. I hope it’s not the case however. I haven’t bought from an auction for more than a year, mostly because prices seem to have gone through the roof!! Appreciate I have filled in more of the widely available items in my collections now so older/rarer items are most of my wants. They seem to have held value reasonably well
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:20 pm 
Post subject:

Definitley bought less but that's nothing to do with lockdown, more to do with the fact that, other than a few mid-90s H/A when I lost interest in the hobby and numerous next-to-impossible-to-find away friendlies down the years, I've completed what I set out to do in the mid-70s and that was get all the League and Cup back to the war.

Spent a fair bit of the last year re-reading old Football Monthly magazines. Invariably that leads to numerous Google searches for players/matches and, before I know it, another evening has passed.

I can spend hours/days/weeks doing that. For instance, it was only yesterday I found out that the 1946/47 fixture lists were a mirror image of those of 1939/40 for reasons of "morale". And also the full story of Ted Drake's 7 goal haul at Villa Park in 1935/36. (That'll teach the Villa fans to taunt him) Well, interests me more than sitting through that Royal Family yawnfest on the telly last night.

Might have put a kilo or 3 on over the last year but I'll put that down to an optical illusion. Or age.
Very Happy
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:48 am 
Post subject: Have you 'collected' more or less over the last year?

I've probably bought less for my programme collection, but that's more to do with the fact that I have less gaps anyway, but when they pop up, I still aim to buy them.

On the sales side, as I do online sales anyway, I had more time, so keep sorting and adding box after box of whatever I drag out of my stockroom. There's approximately a quarter of a million programmes/magazines in there.
It's not all football, but it's all interesting.
Last week it was old 1930s-1950s Theatre programmes and the week before it was 1950s Motoring magazines!!!

Sales initially went through the roof for a few months at the start of lockdown and has kept at a much higher than normal level since.

My only real change since lockdown is that I haven't been able to gig with my band.
I'm the singer in a rock/pop covers band and we've lost around sixty confirmed dates cancelled since all this started.
At least there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel now and we expect to be on a stage again on May 29th, unless it all goes sideways again!!
grantham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:55 pm 
Post subject:

My Grantham collection is at such a point it's vary rare that I find something I need now. (think I added 6 or 7 in the last 2 years) So my spending has gone elsewhere. My book collection has come on leaps and bounds over the last 12 months, whilst I have also started a non-league club handbook collection.

I have also taken the time to start listing more on ebay, slowly trying to clear some of my excess 40,000 non-league programmes. I sell roughly 10% of each listings, which I then use for my book/handbook collection

I've also been stocking up on showpiece finals whilst the prices have been low as well. They are my long term investment programmes, that probably won't see the light of day for another 15-20 years
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:19 pm 
Post subject:

Not collected anything.

I keep hearing the hobby is dead, but that doesn't appear to filter through to auction houses.

Or ebay where there are some ridiculous prices being asked for early post war programmes probably due to people paying too much at auction and trying to get their money back Laughing
cardiff55

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:04 pm 
Post subject:

I have had an intresting year collecting Cardiff items.

A year ago (March 13) I picked up a large collection of Cardiff items for a not inconsiderable price, but worth it. It enabled me get a huge amount of programmes in one go after I'd sold all mine about 3 years ago 'to make space' ( so mt wife said!). The collection missed quite a lot of 'modern' seasons aways though, but contained a lot of rare items.
Then in June another collection came up , cheaper but filled the gaps the first one was missing , but only up to 2005.
In September a local collection came about which filled in the gaps which were still missing. I also managed to buy a lot of programmes from a chap who was selling up and moving abroad.

So I now had a collection pretty much complete back to 1947. And 4500 spare Cardiff programmes. I sold those in November 'to make space' after selling quite a lot of spare decent stuff on Ebay from March onwards. The sale price of the spares covered the cost of the latter two collections.

Now I just look out for the rare missing items and for Cardiff reserve items.

At the same time I have been accumulating welsh non league clubs from when hey were in the Southern League i.e Merthy, Barry, Lovell's, Llanelly and Bridgend as well as my interest in Spurs homes form 1967-1975 (and reserves , which i love).

I have also, for the first time, bought direct from clubs for current season issues, and direct from the printers too (Ignition). So a busy period all round.

I even had to clear out a small bedroom and buy 2 new large bookshelves from IKEA!! And now just started buying Charles Buchan's Football Monthly and Soccer Star mags.

But I have stopped buying records and sold a lot of other surplus stuff. I reckon with the sales of spare programmes it has cost me nothing to accumulate what i have but a lot of time and hard work though.

Looking forward to going to a fair or two when permitted.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: