Football Programmes Centre

Manchester United 1957/58
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Manchester United 1957/58

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alytheeagle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:03 pm 
Post subject: Manchester United 1957/58

Hi, just joined the forum and been collecting for about 40 years.
I have a question for the Man Utd boffins. I have the home match v Ipswich in the FAC, the last before the dreadful event. The one's I see advertised are showing either token intact or token neatly removed.
The copy I have just has a blank space where the token should have been. Is there any reason why this would be so?
Pablo2019

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:52 pm 
Post subject:

Hi and welcome.

The token was blank if the issue was sent out to subscribers, rather than available at the match.
Alytheeagle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:29 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the reply Pablo. That makes some sense
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:42 pm 
Post subject:

Evening ally and welcome to the forum I'm on the hunt for a 1940 cup final stub
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:49 pm 
Post subject:

I remember an article in Goal and Wickets regarding this issue and if I remember correctly it said that in the late fifties blank issues were for press/players etc ie not to be sold to the public.
Later in the early sixties subscriptions became available and this feature was used to distinguish them from those sold at the game which had tokens.
I am sure others may have their opinion on this grey area.
I think the originator of that article is a member on the forum although the website no longer exists, I am sure I read he has kept all articles he listed on his website.
Interesting topic, especially if that piece could reappear again.
Pablo2019

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:54 pm 
Post subject:

Cpfc jim wrote:
I'm on the hunt for a 1940 cup final stub

Is there any context to this post? Sherlock
Pablo2019

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

Raxfactor wrote:
I remember an article in Goal and Wickets regarding this issue and if I remember correctly it said that in the late fifties blank issues were for press/players etc ie not to be sold to the public.
Later in the early sixties subscriptions became available and this feature was used to distinguish them from those sold at the game which had tokens.
I am sure others may have their opinion on this grey area.
I think the originator of that article is a member on the forum although the website no longer exists, I am sure I read he has kept all articles he listed on his website.
Interesting topic, especially if that piece could reappear again.

You’re right, subscribing to the United review came later in the 60s.

Any programmes on sale at the ground though, would have had printed and numbered tokens.
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:42 am 
Post subject:

Yes that a he's a new member b he's been collecting for 40 years and c he might have or might know someone who has what I'm after Sherlock
EYES OF BLUE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:58 pm 
Post subject:

Not sure , but I thought at this time , programmes issued in the Directors Box , had a blank where the token should have been
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:32 pm 
Post subject:

EYES OF BLUE wrote:
Not sure , but I thought at this time , programmes issued in the Directors Box , had a blank where the token should have been

Yes you are quite correct, programmes with no tokens printed inside were handed out in the Directors Box and also Raxfactor is correct as well in that copies were given in the Press Area as well as left in the Players Lounge.

However, when the printers produced the Bound Volumes that all went to the Club's Directors/Management they were always produced with programmes that had the tokens printed inside and for some crackpot reason they trimmed the programmes-when common sense said make the covers a tad bigger to accomodate the programme untouched. This way of doing things did not occur in Pre-War days at Manchester United in the 1930's the BV were made to fit around the programmes as it should be-well for the several that i have been fortunate to see over the years.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:24 pm 
Post subject:

One question I have pondered over is it known what season subscriptions started.
Early 1960's is as close as I have got.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: