Football Programmes Centre

Football League centenary games particularly Everton-Rangers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Football League centenary games particularly Everton-Rangers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merseman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:46 pm 
Post subject: Football League centenary games particularly Everton-Rangers

Programme of Football League v Rest of the World (8th Aug 1987) lists the other matches scheduled to celebrate the Football League centenary:

* Wednesday 25th November 1987 - Centenary Challenge - Everton v Rangers (at Maine Road) [Champions of England v Champions of Scotland]

* Saturday/Sunday 16th/17th April 1988 - Centenary Festival - 6 aside knockout tournament between all 92 league clubs (at Wembley)

* Saturday 6th > Wednesday 10th > Saturday 13th August 1988 - Centenary Trophy - knockout cup between the top 8 clubs in First Division (Final at Villa Park) ["spiritual birthplace of the Football League" via its founder William McGregor]

In practice these all ended-up being amended:

* Centenary Challenge became Everton v Bayern Munich at Goodison [Champions of England v Champions of Germany]

* Centenary Festival became a regular 11 aside tournament for 16 clubs who were chosen on basis of league results over a qualifying period from November to March. Matches were of shortened length - 40mins in R1 & QFs, 60mins in SFs & Final - with no extratime and penalty shootouts being immediate sudden death

* Centenary Trophy did not use a Watney Cup-style schedule in week before season started. Instead ties were played midweek of Wednesday 29th August > midweek of Wednesday 21st September > Sunday 9th October 1988

Why was Everton-Rangers withdrawn?

(They did contest Champions Cup, in Dubai on Tuesday 8th December - but this was due anyway as began previous year with Liverpool v Celtic on same night).

Plus why had it been due at Maine Road, not Goodison?
colchestersid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:05 pm 
Post subject:

I remember the whole centenary thing as being a damp squib - I'm not certain but I suspect the Everton/Rangers game was binned due to a history of crowd trouble from visits by Rangers to English grounds
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: