Football Programmes Centre

Programme Auctions
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Programme Auctions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:20 pm 
Post subject: Programme Auctions

I received the latest catalogue from Sportingold. Interesting selection. Some really exciting early items. First ever Newcastle United from 1896? Notts County 1885, Aston Villa 1893, Walsall v Glossop North End 1896, Marlow v WBA 1897, Sheffield Utd v Corinthians 1898 and Southampton v Chatham 1899. Plenty for Spurs collectors with the highlight versus Thames Ironworks 1899. Looks like they came from the same collector.

There was an odd one - Sheffield United v Derby FA Cup s/f 1902 at over £1100 and a year later Sheffield Utd v Stoke for £80.

Overall it appeared to me that prices for bundles of programmes were more than reasonable. Certainly programmes from the sixties and later are now hardly worth listing.

I know that some of the estimates are at the request of the seller. Perhaps they would be better off following the auctioneers advice. There was a programme I was interested in, in the previous catalogue. The estimate was three times what I know it to be worth. I put in a bid, but it remained unsold.
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:06 pm 
Post subject:

The description re: Newcastle United 1896/97 is a mistake because earlier home programmes are known of (e.g. from season 1893/94)), something which is even noted on a different thread on this forum on oldest club issues. I'll try to email them about it if and when I get time. Overall, there is a very good selection this time (again).
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:10 pm 
Post subject:

Yes I saw the Spurs v Thames Ironworks - only the second Thames Ironworks programme I have seen at auction

I wonder if any West Ham collectors will have missed it though - West Ham aren't mentioned in the listing! Estimate is £4300-£4500 so be interesting to see what happens

Spurs won 7-0 by the way, just a week before West Ham beat Dartford in the FA Cup by the same score!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: